Iowa FB has a history of bouncing back

ChosenChildren

Kirk Ferentz has been a big part of Iowa football for 22 seasons (first as an assistant, then as HC), dating back to 1981. I know many of the posters on this board are disappointed with 8-5 and 7-5 records the past two years. However, if you study the history of Iowa football going back to 1981, we have a history of bouncing back from "pedestrian" seasons. Here are several examples:

1. In 1979 and 1980, we go 5-6 and 4-7, but then "bounce back" to 8-3 and the Rose Bowl in 1981.
2. In 1988 and 1989, we go 6-4-3 and 5-6, but bounce back and go 8-3 and the Rose Bowl in 1990.
3. In 1992, 1993 and 1994 we go 5-7, 6-6 and 5-5-1, but then bounce back to 8-4 and 9-3 records in 1995 and 1996 and 2 bowl wins.
4. We go 3-9 and 7-5 in 2000 and 2001, but then achieve 11-2 and an Orange Bowl in 2002.
5. In 2005, 2006 and 2007 we go 7-5, 6-7 and 6-6 but bounce back to 9-4 and 11-2 in 2008 and 2009, with an Orange Bowl win.

These are five distinct times in the past 30 years when we have bounced back from multiple "average" years to have very good seasons. In fact, in the past 30 seasons, we have never FAILED to bounce back from mediocre stretches. It has been a very distinct pattern.

I believe Kirk Ferentz and this coaching staff will do it again, if everyone has a little patience. History teaches us that it will happen again and I have every confidence that this staff will make it happen.

Last edited:
the hawks are in a state where the high school talent flat out isn't very good. we as fans, should be happy with whatever bowl game invites us.....period, plain and simple.

Kirk Ferentz has been a big part of Iowa football for 22 seasons (first as an assistant, then as HC), dating back to 1981. I know many of the posters on this board are disappointed with 8-5 and 7-5 records the past two years. However, if you study the history of Iowa football going back to 1981, we have a history of bouncing back from "pedestrian" seasons. Here are several examples:1. In 1979 and 1980, we go 5-6 and 4-7, but then "bounce back" to 8-3 and the Rose Bowl in 1981.2. In 1988 and 1989, we go 6-4-3 and 5-6, but bounce back and go 8-3 and the Rose Bowl in 1990.3. In 1992, 1993 and 1994 we go 5-7, 6-6 and 5-5-1, but then bounce back to 8-4 and 9-3 records in 1995 and 1996 and 2 bowl wins.4. We go 3-9 and 7-5 in 2000 and 2001, but then achieve 11-2 and an Orange Bowl in 2002.5. In 2005, 2006 and 2007 we go 7-5, 6-7 and 6-6 but bounce back to 9-4 and 11-2 in 2008 and 2009, with an Orange Bowl win.These are five distinct times in the past 30 years when we have bounced back from multiple "average" years to have very good seasons. In fact, in the past 30 seasons, we have never FAILED to bounce back from mediocre stretches. It has been a very distinct pattern. I believe Kirk Ferentz and this coaching staff will do it again, if everyone has a little patience. History teaches us that it will happen again and I have every confidence that this staff will make it happen.
well said. Spot on!

Not this thread again.
Sorry to burst your bubble of negativity, but the facts are hard to ignore.

Iowa football is not great every season, but certain trends are pretty apparent. You can expect great seasons in the future. You don't suddenly forget how to coach or recruit.

Sometimes the trends and the facts result in a positive, hopeful conclusion, rather than a negative conclusion.

I know that is extremely hard for a many of the members of this board to accept.

well said. Spot on!
The only real point I'm trying to make in this virtual sea of bleak negativity on this board is that this staff has been there before, knows how to coach, knows how to recruit, and that we are not that far away. There is not that much difference between 7-5 and 9-3 or 10-2. Just a few playmakers and a few plays.

I humbly believe that it is a lot more difficult to go from 2-10 to 7-5 than it is to go from 7-5 to 10-2. We are close. Stay the course!!!

well said. Spot on!
The only real point I'm trying to make in this virtual sea of bleak negativity on this board is that this staff has been there before, knows how to coach, knows how to recruit, and that we are not that far away. There is not that much difference between 7-5 and 9-3 or 10-2. Just a few playmakers and a few plays.I humbly believe that it is a lot more difficult to go from 2-10 to 7-5 than it is to go from 7-5 to 10-2. We are close. Stay the course!!!
100% in agreement...look at this season with a realistic view and at least 2 games were a play or two away. People may disagree but your comments are simply dead on.

Once again, KF = 3 years 7 wins or less, 3 years 8 or more wins. This year starts the next down cycle.

Yes, Iowa does bounce back. In the KF era it takes three years. One down, two to go.

Once again, KF = 3 years 7 wins or less, 3 years 8 or more wins. This year starts the next down cycle.

Yes, Iowa does bounce back. In the KF era it takes three years. One down, two to go.
Yes. Do not disagree. 2012 and 2013 could be rough years - need to be patient.....

I just pray that Iowa finds a way to beat OU,get that 8th win,and blow CAAR's whole theory to smithereens. Win 9,11,8,8....and four straight bowl games....come on,Hawks!!

the hawks are in a state where the high school talent flat out isn't very good. we as fans, should be happy with whatever bowl game invites us.....period, plain and simple.
I see what you mean, its not like valley was ranked 14th in the nation for hs football teams and thats out of what 10,000 high schools or more who knows how many, your right iowa high school has no talented football players for the college level. Timmy D, dallas clark, bryan bulaga, ross verba, jared devries, roger craig, cross, and countless others that i cant think of.

I just pray that Iowa finds a way to beat OU,get that 8th win,and blow CAAR's whole theory to smithereens. Win 9,11,8,8....and four straight bowl games....come on,Hawks!!

LOL: I think we are only truly at the hypothesis stage now. And like all you, I hope the hypothesis is disproven. My point the whole time has really just to make the point that cherry picking certain years of KF's HC tenure, either to claim his record is better or worse than it actually is, is not really appropriate. The convenient 7/8 win split just helps me do that. If the Hawks win this game or 8 within the next two years, I will have to look for a new whole tenure trend.

My gut reaction is just looking at B1G record would do it.

Nope, that won't work. But looking at that, it is pretty impressive that KF only 3 losing in-conference seasons.

Last edited:
I see what you mean, its not like valley was ranked 14th in the nation for hs football teams and thats out of what 10,000 high schools or more who knows how many, your right iowa high school has no talented football players for the college level. Timmy D, dallas clark, bryan bulaga, ross verba, jared devries, roger craig, cross, and countless others that i cant think of.
Bulaga was from Illinois but you still make a good point.

Against Oklahoma?

Next year with returning players on defense? If a Parker 'disciple' is the new DC, the defense will be in shambles and if an outsider is the new DC, a new system might have to be taught and the defense will be in shambles.

IMO, it's unlikely Ferentz will loosen the reigns on the offense next season even though, IMO, he will need to loosen the reins on the offense next season.

Last edited:
Biggest problem maybe only problem I have with staff is this if you know your style creates close games. How is Iowa so bad at clock management and missing obvious thing like the onside at Minnesota. If you know your going to play close games need this has a management strength.

Yes, like a baseball team with good defense, great pitching, but weak hitting you have to be ready for every opportunity to make the defensive play, win matchups, and out coach the other manager. kf needs to win all the in game situations.