Iowa does not want Forbes,the 2nd.asst.

hawkytalk

Hopefully this is correct,because I sure do not want him. If he is hired,I will support him,but can anyone truly believe that we would not want the 2nd asst.from Tennessee? Did you watch the game last night,he does nothing on the time outs. He isn't doing any talking.We are a better program then to want or expect the 2nd.asst.from any school. If you think TL got a big raise when he came to Iowa,what do you suppose this guy makes?

FWIW he was rated the #8 assistant in the nation. And with this track record in recruiting, he might be a better fit than you think.

I did watch him closely. Just sat there the whole game. I thought this guy was supposed to be high energy. Looked like he should have had a cold one and a bucket of wings in his lap.

Also, anyone else concerned that his big recruit for this year is a decomit? Funny thing is that everyone thinks this decomit would suddenly follow Forbes somewhere else. Also, wouldn't that be considered very bad form for an assistant to take another job and pluck a recruit? I have never heard that happening before.

Let's see here, just because an assistant coach isn't up chit chatting during time outs now he isn't good enough? Pearl does more on the sideline in one game than Lick did in 3 years so how exactly is Forbes supposed to show his passion? Who knows what is being said and by whom at any given point in the game by anyone on the bench. Kinda goofy to judge a guy like that. The recruit in question that could possibly follow Forbes has some stuff going on from what I understand and the NCAA might not allow him to play for Tennessee so he could follow Forbes to Iowa.

I did watch him closely. Just sat there the whole game. I thought this guy was supposed to be high energy. Looked like he should have had a cold one and a bucket of wings in his lap.

Also, anyone else concerned that his big recruit for this year is a decomit? Funny thing is that everyone thinks this decomit would suddenly follow Forbes somewhere else. Also, wouldn't that be considered very bad form for an assistant to take another job and pluck a recruit? I have never heard that happening before.

So how often was Jones up? You don't have a Head Coach and 5 assistants standing up yelling. You must not have seen him in spots and after the game doing the Jimmy V dance.

Might want to look at the post that had Forbes as 80% yes on hiring him. There has been plenty logical comments on him on this Board and others from Marc M. If you want to energize a fan base, start with somebody that recruits and wants to be here. We aren't a top 5 Big 10 program, at least yet.

Well yeah, he is an assistant. He's not supposed to be jumping up and down on the sideline.

When he was a head coach, he would call timeouts and order chicken while we drew up plays on our own. Come on. These guys have duties and responsibilities. They are looking for specific things during the game in addition to the obvious and make suggestions when appropriate. Some people just don't get it. Watch when assistants jump up and yell. It's on things like the big man not getting over the top on defense, or somebody not blocking out or somebody not shifting right on the zone. They are watching for specifics and coaching positions/specifics. It's not their job to wave the rally towel and get the crowd going. Geesh. This gets frustrating.

Now there is a good idea, let's hire a coach based on a Hawkeyenation pole a poster started...genius idea....that's exactly why Barta is the AD and you're not. He'll actually take the time to visit with credible people in the profession, interview the potential coaches and then make a decision.

He won't listen to a guy who runs a UK website, a Hawkeyenation pole or a few fans who email him based on a sales job done by a UK mod who is friends of Forbes.

I mean seriously, have you ever stopped to think why Forbes wasn't hired for the MANY SEC jobs that have been available over the last number of years? I'm sure all of the AD's are very well aware of him in the SEC! Ole Miss hired Andy Kennedy who was an assistant at Cinncy....There has been plenty of openings in the SEC and not one time have you ever heard Forbes name....it's time to wake-up!!!

Sounds like you're pretty up on things 2Boys. So who's your guy? Just curious. Thanks.

PS - I bet you're right that Barta doesn't make his decision based upon our recommendations. That would be tough to make everybody on these boards happy wouldn't it. Great point.

To those Forbes supporters (and I've variously been one), let me pose this question: setting aside for the moment his Iowa connections and apparently his strong interest in the job, would you even consider the No. 3 coach (not even head assistant or head associate coach) at a moderately successful program to be HC of a Big 10 mens basketball team?

If you would, there are probably a bunch of No. 2s from even more successful programs who should be given a look first, if that's the direction you're going to go.

I've bounced between lukewarm and cool on Forbes. After pondering the question above, I'm not eager to see Barta give him the keys to the kingdom, his Iowa ties and interest notwithstanding.

Forbes or not Forbes . . . I just want a guy that wants to be at Iowa for something other than a pay raise. Mr. Davis wasn't about the money and that's the last time basketball was exciting. The last two jokers came from mid-majors and probably saw the job as a great financial step. Just my 2 cents. I just want to get some damn talent on the floor. When was the last time we saw a breakaway dunk? Seriously, answer that question. That's all I want . . . talent.

Interviewing Forbes costs Barta nothing, and who knows, at a minimum, Barta might just learn something useful from an experienced college basketball mind that might help make this search come to a fruitful conclusion.

I keep seeing where he is ranked #8 in assistant coaches, The key is we are not hiring a assistant coach we are hiring a head coach. Where does he rank among ALL coaches(head and assistant)?

It's probably just time for me to give up on Forbes. I'll just continue to follow Tennessee. That's actually been quite a bit of fun watching athletic basketball. It's clear that there are many top D1 coaches beating the door down to be at Iowa. Who wouldn't want to be at this rich basketball tradition university? Great try Forbes. Don't be ashamed to be beat out by somebody like Roy Williams or Bruce Pearl or Bill Self or any of these top head coaches. Good luck guys - I think I'm out.

I saw Forbes running behind Pearl after the block of Turner with his hands in the air yelling...that alone is more passion than Lick showed here over three years combined.

Tell me how an assistant considered one of the best recruiters in the country could do any worse than the last "mid major" head coach hired here, or even last two. You think being a native of Iowa and a top recruiter is not important, wait and see if Drew comes, and see if Pastor comes, etc. You know why not, because they have lined up top recruits and have a better chance of success where they are, than even at a BIg 10 school. What does Baylor and Memphis have, other than top recruiting classes. So, I guess Forbes has to go to Winthrop for 3 years to be qualified for a job on par with Northwestern and Penn State. Its recruiting and people skills, not a title.

Tell me how an assistant considered one of the best recruiters in the country could do any worse than the last "mid major" head coach hired here, or even last two. You think being a native of Iowa and a top recruiter is not important, wait and see if Drew comes, and see if Pastor comes, etc. You know why not, because they have lined up top recruits and have a better chance of success where they are, than even at a BIg 10 school. What does Baylor and Memphis have, other than top recruiting classes. So, I guess Forbes has to go to Winthrop for 3 years to be qualified for a job on par with Northwestern and Penn State. Its recruiting and people skills, not a title.

Because he didn't smile or some stupid **** at the right time.

Latest posts