Iowa creeps onto NCAA tournament bubble

LOL...Please tell me exactly which teams are going to outclass us in the 1st round. Minnesota's has "numerous game of experience in the NIT" from last year and they are barely surviving. This argument isn't even an argument.

Exactly. Nobody can tell me that an NIT appearance is better for the program than an NCAA appearance. If for no other reason than being in THE tournament again, which looks better to recruits, as opposed to being in the Not Important Tournament again.

I'll take an NCAA appearance and a 1st round loss over maybe a couple extra NIT games, any day of the week.

Besides, how many teams in the Big Ten (sans Michigan) have "outclassed" us this year in conference play? And we're talking about what is the best conference in the country. I'll wager that this Iowa team can play with most teams in the country, on a neutral court, with maybe a few exceptions.

If Iowa gets in, they would probably be a 12-13 seed, and might well lose in the first round. Fine. But I say Iowa would be an extremely dangerous lower seed for anyone to have to play.

You can't answer a question with a question. Which teams are going to outclass us in the 1st round? Also, show me what each of the teams in that chart did the following year to prove your point. Thanks!

Men's Post-season NIT Championships
California's 1999 NIT trophy

See any teams that benefited from NIT experience?

Been waiting for your addiction to hopium. They have to beat IL and one other good team in tourney assuming an IN loss and win the rest.

MN has no depth and when their athlete went out, they were done.

To another post, yes when you get down that far earlier, you are playing poorly.

Blah blah blah. I take it you're on the selection committee, then?

Make excuses for the Minnesota game all you want, but they were a Top 15 RPI team. That's a good win, no matter how you try to spin it. Not that I really believe Minny is a Top 15 team, but the RPI doesn't see it that way.

Iowa had a bad first 7-8 minutes of that game or so, but dominated them the rest of the way. Yesterday, overall, was anything but a poor performance. Give me a break.

You aren't allowed to reference RPI today because it doesn't back ILHawk's latest argument. I understand your confusion since it's the standard argument along with SOS in ILHawk's other posts.

Blah blah blah. I take it you're on the selection committee, then?

Make excuses for the Minnesota game all you want, but they were a Top 15 RPI team. That's a good win, no matter how you try to spin it. Not that I really believe Minny is a Top 15 team, but the RPI doesn't see it that way.

Iowa had a bad first 7-8 minutes of that game or so, but dominated them the rest of the way. Yesterday, overall, was anything but a poor performance. Give me a break.

You aren't allowed to reference RPI today because it doesn't back ILHawk's latest argument. I understand your confusion since it's the standard argument along with SOS in ILHawk's other posts.

Funny, because I thought that if RPI was the main reason for Iowa being out of the NCAA field, then a win over a team with a high RPI would carry some weight. Because, ya know - RPI is the end all, be all.

Thanks for straightening that out for me, Windsor.

Between ILHawk and HomerChampless, all we're missing is some TedNuge and we'd have all our most astute basketball fans on this board carrying this thread.

Been waiting for your addiction to hopium. They have to beat IL and one other good team in tourney assuming an IN loss and win the rest.

MN has no depth and when their athlete went out, they were done.

To another post, yes when you get down that far earlier, you are playing poorly.

Minny is a good team, Iowa is just better. They lucked out to win at Minny playing full strength, and Iowa just threw down a complete and total azz whipping on them in Carver. Iowa wins easily with or without Rodney Williams......he is not a 21 pt. difference maker.

Minny is actually a better win than IL, as Minny was like 15 RPI and Illinois 28.

Between ILHawk and HomerChampless, all we're missing is some TedNuge and we'd have all our most astute basketball fans on this board carrying this thread.

How can you leave BBM out of your list of distinguished scholars of the game?

Never have I seen fan atics so excited about finishing 6th. They have unfinished business to do. So far, the 6th team in the B1G whether it be IL, MN, or IA hasn't done a whole lot. Especially Iowa. Loved the rodent massacre, but that was a wounded team that scored what 8 points in 20 some minutes? Don't care how good the D is, scoring that many points isn't just about D.

I think I've only seen one team ever score that in a half and that was Iowa in a win against MSU. MSU had 6 if I remember right.

Play as poorly as IA did early on against much of the rest of the schedule and the outcome won't be so pretty. Woody's role needs to be changed.

Nobody likes a troll. Take your negativity elsewhere.

Nobody likes a troll. Take your negativity elsewhere.

You guys are just crazy. You've never heard me root against the Hawks. I do think it's totally silly to get excited about 6th place. Sound just like football in the 70's.

Just pointing out:

MN is in trouble and lost their best player on the court during the game.

RPI doesn't care what position Iowa finishes in. It matters what they do. So far a home win against Wisky is a great win and Minny helps, but not getting anyone over the hump. IL will get us close, but a lot of things need to happen for that to get us over the hump.

MN did fall apart and have zero depth. Don't care how good you think Iowa is the collapse was about quitting and lack of talent.

If you want only rah rah rah and boy aren't we great for being sixth, maybe you should go elsewhere. I don't take Dunder heads seriously anyway.

I am raising questions that the committee is going to raise if it gets down to equally deserving or undeserving team. Iowa has yet to prove themselves worthy.

Reality hurts sometimes. Not sure why others don't see the offensive hurdles faced when Woody starts a game. Illinois might fall apart after getting a big lead. Promise you that IU and whoever is faced in the 2nd round of the B1G won't. Without a win over a couple of consistent real teams toward the top, the resume is still lacking. Not as bad as before, but lacking.

Ok, back to rah rah rah...

You guys are just crazy. You've never heard me root against the Hawks. I do think it's totally silly to get excited about 6th place. Sound just like football in the 70's.

Just pointing out:

RPI doesn't care what position Iowa finishes in. It matters what they do. So far a home win against Wisky is a great win and Minny helps, but not getting anyone over the hump. IL will get us close, but a lot of things need to happen for that to get us over the hump.

MN did fall apart and have zero depth. Don't care how good you think Iowa is the collapse was about quitting and lack of talent.

If you want only rah rah rah and boy aren't we great for being sixth, maybe you should go elsewhere. I don't take Dunder heads seriously anyway.

I am raising questions that the committee is going to raise if it gets down to equally deserving or undeserving team. Iowa has yet to prove themselves worthy.

Reality hurts sometimes. Not sure why others don't see the offensive hurdles faced when Woody starts a game. Illinois might fall apart after getting a big lead. Promise you that IU and whoever is faced in the 2nd round of the B1G won't. Without a win over a couple of consistent real teams toward the top, the resume is still lacking. Not as bad as before, but lacking.

IL, #6 is something to get excited about right now. (Thanks Todd Licky) If this team wasn't so young and had just a little bit better of shooting ability this team might be 18-7 right now with wins against a couple top 25 teams.

Minny has zero depth, you got that right if anyone disagrees they were watching a different game yesterday.

Troll or dunderhead, you decide? I include my best guess for now.

ILHawk (T)

Homer Champless (D)

Ted Nugent (T)

Basketballman (D)

Duff mod (T)

Troll or dunderhead, you decide? I include my best guess for now.

ILHawk (T) - Illini Troll

Homer Champless (D) - Troll, although I could go either way on this one

Ted Nugent (T) - Dumb

Basketballman (D) - Troll

Duff mod (T) - Troll obviously

Just pointing out:

What? Rodney Williams "their best player" Hes like their 4th or 5th best player. Both the Hollins and Mbakwe are far more important to Minnesota than Williams.

Latest posts