Iowa creeps onto NCAA tournament bubble

I can usually be known for hijacking a few posts.... So, here goes...

I don't think the B1G has a plethora of final 16 candidates.

Michigan State might be the best team in the conference, and may have final 4 possibilities.
Indiana lost to Butler.
Unless Michigan plays teams that are as weak as they are on the post and also play somewhat uptempo (like Michigan), they seem to have a hard time winning. Michigan's outside shooting seems to be suspect. Zone them. Get back.

Wisconsin will have problems against any team with a strong post presence. How long can Brust keep it up?

I can't get a handle on tOSU at all. What's happened with them? Is Thomas hurt?

Minnesota's claim to fame is beating 'good' teams in the B1G.

Iowa, IMO, has a young acting cast and an inexperienced coach.

I wasn't sure if I shouldv'e posted here, or in the RPI calculation thread.

If Iowa gets into the NCAA with a, for example, 9-9 record in the B1G, they will, IMO, lose in the first round, and I don't see that helping Iowa much.

I think Michigan St, Indiana and Michigan all could make the final four. But of course it all depends on the matchups. Not sure how Indiana losing to Butler on a neutral floor has anything to do with them not being a final four candidate. Miami lost to Indiana St does that make them not a final four candidate? Ohio St has actually been pretty consistent all year, they have no one who can score besides Thomas. They lose to pretty much any top 15 team they play and beat everyone below that.

Look at Illinois, they easily beat Gonzaga at Gonzaga, knocked off Butler on a neutral court. If they get hot from deep, they can beat almost anyone.

What teams do you see as final four candidates? Duke? Louisville? Gonzaga? Florida? Every team has bad losses and flaws that you could use to say they won't succeed in the tournament, somebody has to win some games in it though.

Michigan State is peaking at the right time. Indiana is better than last year and did quite well last year...also seem to be getting their 2nd wind. I think these 2 teams have the best chance at a Final Four run. I think any of the top 8 teams in the Big Ten are more than capable of winning a first round game at the very least.

Iowa - We have played the best teams in the country down to the wire (many on their home courts) since the conference season began. We're getting better; playing with more confidence; and figuring out our rotation. I have no reason to think Iowa can't win a game or even 2 on a neutral court if they make the tournament. The 1st game and quite possibly the 2nd game will be against lesser competition than what we have been playing since December 31.

Michigan State might be the best team in the conference, and may have final 4 possibilities.
Indiana lost to Butler.
Unless Michigan plays teams that are as weak as they are on the post and also play somewhat uptempo (like Michigan), they seem to have a hard time winning. Michigan's outside shooting seems to be suspect. Zone them. Get back.

Wisconsin will have problems against any team with a strong post presence. How long can Brust keep it up?

If Iowa gets into the NCAA with a, for example, 9-9 record in the B1G, they will, IMO, lose in the first round, and I don't see that helping Iowa much.

Indiana lost to Butler.

EDIT: a high enough RPI gets you into the tourney. That's why more and more major conferences are eliminating the scheduling of games against teams in the FCS, or traditionally weak conferences.

Would you rather see them do well in the NIT than lose in Round 1 of the NCAA? How can making the NCAA tourney be a bad thing?

So why doesn't RPI matter then?

No one said it doesn't matter. My original point was, Illinois game is much bigger than Nebraska. Please reference these links to posts by Storminspank if you do not agree.
http://www.hawkeyenation.com/forum/basketball/56564-rpi-sagarin-pomeroy-2-18-2013-a.html#post1070291
http://www.hawkeyenation.com/forum/basketball/56564-rpi-sagarin-pomeroy-2-18-2013-a.html#post1070287

"Beating nebraska bumps RPI 3-4 spots perhaps. Beating Illinois bumps it probably 10 spots, about the same as beating MN."

I think Michigan St, Indiana and Michigan all could make the final four. But of course it all depends on the matchups. Not sure how Indiana losing to Butler on a neutral floor has anything to do with them not being a final four candidate. Miami lost to Indiana St does that make them not a final four candidate? Ohio St has actually been pretty consistent all year, they have no one who can score besides Thomas. They lose to pretty much any top 15 team they play and beat everyone below that.

Look at Illinois, they easily beat Gonzaga at Gonzaga, knocked off Butler on a neutral court. If they get hot from deep, they can beat almost anyone.

What teams do you see as final four candidates? Duke? Louisville? Gonzaga? Florida? Every team has bad losses and flaws that you could use to say they won't succeed in the tournament, somebody has to win some games in it though.

I haven't really thought who my final 16 teams in the tourney would be. Obviously, no team in better than the rest of the field this year.

I'd have to put (1)Miami and (2)Duke from the ACC in the final 16 mix. Louisville gives me the hebby jeebies.
(3)Florida from the SEC. Arkansas??
(4)Syracuse.
(5)Michigan State and maybe Indiana from the B1G.
(6)Gonzaga will come from a western bracket.
Not sure about Butler...

It's a start.

So fans can't get excited about the BB team (that after so many years of sucking) shows signs of becoming a good team/program again?

Iowa kicked Minnesota's ***. Stop making excuses for them. They were lost against Iowa's zone. Kudos to our coach.
Iowa is competitive almost every night out now, even against teams that will compete for the National Title this year. Of course Iowa has work to do. So do many other teams.

Illinois hasn't done a whole lot? Illinois has a double digit win AT Gonzaga, a double digit win over Butler on a neutral court, a 19 point win over then #8 OSU, and a win at home against #1 Indiana. NOBODY in the country has better wins than Illinois. I hate them but it's the truth.

IlHawk doesn't seem to understand success within context. Iowa fans are excited about finishing 6th because they've been *** in basketball for 7 years now. Also, finishing 6th could put them in the tournament. A thing that programs who are *** don't do, thus, it's worth getting excited about the possibility of doing so.

A majority of people understand this but for some reason ILHawk either doesn't (thus he's really dumb) or he's purposely being obtuse (thus he's a troll.)

Although, I have a third, new theory, that I kind of like. He's made implications (or maybe he's stated flat out, I don't read most of his posts) that he is the only one living in reality and no one else is. That's a sign of schizophrenia, and I kind of like this idea. ILHawk is a schizophrenic and that would explain a lot of things.

I floated the troll angle a little while back but your new angle may fit. I also read very few of his posts...only those that are quoted by others.

IlHawk doesn't seem to understand success within context. Iowa fans are excited about finishing 6th because they've been *** in basketball for 7 years now. Also, finishing 6th could put them in the tournament. A thing that programs who are *** don't do, thus, it's worth getting excited about the possibility of doing so.

A majority of people understand this but for some reason ILHawk either doesn't (thus he's really dumb) or he's purposely being obtuse (thus he's a troll.)

Although, I have a third, new theory, that I kind of like. He's made implications (or maybe he's stated flat out, I don't read most of his posts) that he is the only one living in reality and no one else is. That's a sign of schizophrenia, and I kind of like this idea. ILHawk is a schizophrenic and that would explain a lot of things.

I haven't really thought who my final 16 teams in the tourney would be. Obviously, no team in better than the rest of the field this year.

I'd have to put (1)Miami and (2)Duke from the ACC in the final 16 mix. Louisville gives me the hebby jeebies.
(4)Syracuse.
(5)Michigan State angs ok, maybe (6)Indiana from the B1G.
(7)Gonzaga will come from a western bracket.
Not sure about Butler...

It's a start.

Well by your logic:

Miami lost to Florida Gulf Coast and Indiana St - they're out
Duke lost by nearly 30 to Miami, plus to very average Maryland and NC State teams - they're out
Florida - lost to K-State and Arkansas
Arkansas -seriously? you don't think Indiana and Michigan will make the sweet 16 but an Arkansas team who is ranked 69th in KenPom will? Besides they lost to both Michigan and Wisconsin - out
Syracuse - lost to Temple and Villanova, a team who was swept by Providence, obviously they're out
Gonzaga- you're joking right? their best win is against K-State or Ok-State, Illinois crushed them in their own gym - out
Butler - lost to Illinois - out

Would you rather see them do well in the NIT than lose in Round 1 of the NCAA? How can making the NCAA tourney be a bad thing?

Experience gained from being 'outclassed' in the first round of the NCAA pales in comparison to potentially numerous games of experience in the NIT.

Well by your logic:

Miami lost to Florida Gulf Coast and Indiana St - they're out
Duke lost by nearly 30 to Miami, plus to very average Maryland and NC State teams - they're out
Florida - lost to K-State and Arkansas
Arkansas -seriously? you don't think Indiana and Michigan will make the sweet 16 but an Arkansas team who is ranked 69th in KenPom will? Besides they lost to both Michigan and Wisconsin - out
Syracuse - lost to Temple and Villanova, a team who was swept by Providence, obviously they're out
Gonzaga- you're joking right? their best win is against K-State or Ok-State, Illinois crushed them in their own gym - out
Butler - lost to Illinois - out

Who's peaking and who's not at tournament time? Winning the NCAA boils down to being hot for a consecutive stretch of, I think, 5 games.

EDIT: you know, I left out the Big 12. Not sure who goes from the Big 12. Kansas?

Last edited:
LOL...Please tell me exactly which teams are going to outclass us in the 1st round. Minnesota has "numerous game of experience in the NIT" from last year and they are barely surviving. This argument isn't even an argument.

Experience gained from being 'outclassed' in the first round of the NCAA pales in comparison to potentially numerous games of experience in the NIT.

Last edited:
LOL...Please tell me exactly which teams are going to outclass us in the 1st round. Minnesota's has "numerous game of experience in the NIT" from last year and they are barely surviving. This argument isn't even an argument.

Men's Post-season NIT Championships
California's 1999 NIT trophy

See any teams that benefited from NIT experience? How about Baylor after the 2009 season? tOSU after the 2008 season? N. Carolina after the 2010 season? Stanford may be the other, IMO, legitimate team coming from the west.

I mean, recruiting gets a boost from successful exposure in the NIT tournament.

Last edited:

(4)Syracuse.
(5)Michigan State and maybe Indiana from the B1G.
(6)Gonzaga will come from a western bracket.
Not sure about Butler...

It's a start.

I watched Miami last night against Clemson..Yawn.
Miami has lost to Florida Gulf Coast and Indiana State.
At least 4 teams from the BIG are better than Miami.

Indiana lost to Butler.

EDIT: a high enough RPI gets you into the tourney. That's why more and more major conferences are eliminating the scheduling of games against teams in the FCS, or traditionally weak conferences.

Wow couldn't disagree with this more.

Indiana lost to Butler? Really thats your knock on them? OK LOL Butler is also a top ten team who would most likely lose to Indiana 8 out of 10 times. Indiana is the odds on favorite IMO to win the title no weaknesses. Best big man in the country and best wing player in the country no to mention Olidipo can take away any other teams best 1-3 player.

Michigan seems to have a hard time winning? They are 22 -4 Their outside shooting suspect? Give me a break. They have Two of the best shooters in college ball in Hardaway and Stauskus and Burk is very good too. Also don't see how you could describe them as weak with McGeray, Morgan and Horford.

I will be surprised if there is not 2 big ten teams in the final 4.

Last edited:
I've been waiting to see how you would spin this win in a negative light. Eventually others will come to the realization that you're just stirring up trouble and could care less about Iowa. I have to admit I didn't see the direct criticism of excited fans as the next attack.

Been waiting for your addiction to hopium. They have to beat IL and one other good team in tourney assuming an IN loss and win the rest.

MN has no depth and when their athlete went out, they were done.

To another post, yes when you get down that far earlier, you are playing poorly.

Latest posts