Iowa Coordinator Press Conferences from 10-12-22

Perhaps someone should explain to Brian that changing things because you have literally the worst offense in college football is not the same thing as “changing for the sake of change”.
His script was edited by his dad and that's the end of it. Even if Petras gives us the best chance to win what's wrong with giving opposing coaches something to chew on. I never watch these things because they are pointless. Coaches like politicians always talk in vague generalities, coaches hide in coachspeak like Brian has here. Two answers he gave I understand, he's not quitting and he's not changing his QB and offense. We now return you to your regularly scheduled program already in progress. He really didn't own anything, asks "What do you mean?" to any serious questions and had the nerve to tell the reporter "Hey why so nervous dude?" That question is either filled with sarcasm or a real disconnect to reality. Iowa press conferences are what Coach Kirk has made them, filled with quiet condescension and forbidden questions.

also i find some irony in that kirk with these systematic philosophies is pretty much ensuring that brian will never work as an o-coordinator ever again at any major college.

He faced the music and was less snarky than his Dad of late. I cannot imagine being terrible at my job and then have to get grilled in public about why I am so terrible at my job. I know he gets paid a lot of money to do what he does, but that still would suck.

The answer about Padilla is just nonesensical. They rotate players at every other position. They are literally the worst at what they do, why not try something different? Even if it is just a package. You literally could not do any worse with Padilla unless he took the snap and handed it to the nose tackle.

Every time in the KF era that the coaching staff floats out in the media 'our questionable starter is the best player we got at this position' it turns out to be true. So based on blind faith, I'm going to give the staff the benefit of the doubt that Petras is better than Padilla. From what we've seen out of Padilla so far is that he's wildly inaccurate but comes with way better mobility. I don't think they are happy with either one and I wished their focus would be beyond Padilla and Petras. Neither one of them looks like the solution for this year or next.

He faced the music and was less snarky than his Dad of late. I cannot imagine being terrible at my job and then have to get grilled in public about why I am so terrible at my job. I know he gets paid a lot of money to do what he does, but that still would suck.

The answer about Padilla is just nonesensical. They rotate players at every other position. They are literally the worst at what they do, why not try something different? Even if it is just a package. You literally could not do any worse with Padilla unless he took the snap and handed it to the nose tackle.
This made me chuckle. Well done.

Every time in the KF era that the coaching staff floats out in the media 'our questionable starter is the best player we got at this position' it turns out to be true. So based on blind faith, I'm going to give the staff the benefit of the doubt that Petras is better than Padilla. From what we've seen out of Padilla so far is that he's wildly inaccurate but comes with way better mobility. I don't think they are happy with either one and I wished their focus would be beyond Padilla and Petras. Neither one of them looks like the solution for this year or next.
I like the idea of building for the future, but if Labas is as far behind the other two as stated, and he can't perfect Iowa's super complicated offense the way that Petras has, I suppose things could get even worse (although that is pretty hard to picture).

The primary problem with the offense IMHO remains the porous and inconsistent OL. Until that groups gels and matures, any of these QBs are going to fail. As we have seen, when given time to throw, Petras can deliver a proper ball. The issue is he isn't often given that time and even when he is he does not always do so.

Latest posts