Iowa Commit Reports

thejumper5

Here are some notes on the progress of Iowa’s currently committed recruits. All reports are of the first game of their respective seasons. Stats, information, and quotations will be updated as they become available. Feel free to add any information you find on any recruit or his team.

Last edited:
Maurice Fleming, ATH, Curie (Chicago, IL)—Fleming, playing quarterback and defensive back in high school, led his team to a 39-19 win over Argo. Fleming starred in the big win, putting up 240 yards rushing and 3 TDs to go along with 196 yards and 2 touchdowns through the air.

Prep Scoreboard

Last edited:
Ryan Ward, OL, Providence Catholic (New Lenox, IL)—Ward helped his team defeat Morgan Park 21-6 in the Preseason Prep Bowl at Soldier Field in Chicago tonight. His team won their opener for the first time since 2004.

"The day after last season ended in October, we were looking forward to this game," said Ryan Ward, Providence's Iowa-bound offensive tackle. "We felt like after we lost to them 16-14 last year that we owed them something."

Illinois high school football: Providence takes on Morgan Park during Preseason Prep Bowl at Soldier Field - chicagotribune.com

Cameron Wilson, WR, Dublin (OH) Jerome—Wilson and the Celtics were defeated 31-14 by Reynoldsburg in their opener. Wilson had a 46-yard reception and a 75-yard touchdown pass; his younger brother, 2013 RB Donovan Wilson (who already has a Purdue offer and will have a ballooned offer sheet--including one from Iowa--by spring break) had a 76-yard TD run.

Reynoldsburg 31, Dublin Jerome 14

Last edited:
Mitch Keppy , OL, Riverdale (Port Byron, IL)—Keppy and Rams defeated Amboy 27-6 on Friday night.

The following one paragraph summary (that makes no mention of Keppy) is all I've been able to find so far for this game. I'll keep looking for video or pictures.

Prep Football Roundup

Last edited:
Last edited:
Laron Taylor, LB, Cass Tech (Detroit, MI)—Cass Tech season starts Saturday night Harrison of Farmington Hills. After the game, another Iowa recruit, Ruben Lile, will give his verbal commitment. Word is that Lile is down to Iowa, Wisconsin, Toledo, and Vanderbilt.

Michael Malloy, RB, Bishop Heelan Catholic (Sioux City, IA)—After the first of a two game suspension for Malloy last week (SC Heelan defeated SC East 20-18), Heelan had a bye week this week. The Crusaders take on Sioux City North next week before Malloy will likely rejoin the team September 9 vs. Spencer.

Connor Kornbrath, P, Bridgeport (WV)—Bridgeport defeated Buckhannon-Upshor 45-0. Kornbrath handles kicking and punting duties for the Indians, so he was busy tonight.

Head to the -1:50 mark of this video and watch Kornbrath nail a 48-yard FG with plenty of leg. To find the video, scroll all the way to the right hand side of the page. The pictures below skew the size of the page, so the video is in a weird spot.

Friday Night SportsZone - Aug 26: Part 1

Kornbrath prepares to attempt an extra point

That was a very impressive kick. Lots of leg. Just made me pretty excited to have this kid in the fold.

Jaleel Johnson, DT, Montini Catholic (Lombard, IL)—Johnson helped his Broncos to a 26-21 win over Palatine.

Here's a game recap. If I'm not mistaken, Johnson is in the main photo with the article.

No. 11 Montini hangs on against Palatine

Check out a replay of the game below. Johnson is #67 in maroon.

Palatine HS at Montini Catholic Game Replay

IIRC Palatine usually fields a pretty darn good squad ... so that's a quality victory for Montini. Good work Mr. Johnson!

Watching ComcastSportsnet Friday nite Brightlites last nite I caught a glimpse of Ryan Ward crushing an opponent from Morgan Park in Providence's win. Big kid,who looked very well put together, somewhat reminded me of Bulaga when I saw him play in high school...both were big tall,athletic looking guys.

Watching ComcastSportsnet Friday nite Brightlites last nite I caught a glimpse of Ryan Ward crushing an opponent from Morgan Park in Providence's win. Big kid,who looked very well put together, somewhat reminded me of Bulaga when I saw him play in high school...both were big tall,athletic looking guys.

Here's a CSNChicago highlight I found. On a running play, Ward (#75 in white) moves downfield very well, makes a good block, and gives his teammate a nice push at the end.

Comcast SportsNet Chicago

Here's what 247Sports recruiting analyst Steve Wiltfong said regarding Ward:

More coming later as I leave Chicago this morning for Detroit to see a couple games tonight including Iowa LB commit Laron Taylor and his Cass Tech teammates vs. Farmington Hills (Mich.) Harrison. Taylor's teammate Ruben Lile is expected to commit tonight and Todd and I both love where Iowa stands with him.

Ward was listed at 6-5, 282 and just looked great physically. Has the frame to add good weight. He told me after the game Iowa envisions him as an offensive tackle, but he can play all three offensive line positions. This kid is a good athlete and I think we have him underrated right now. That should change in our next rankings. He moves well. Was always the first player off the snap. Can run block and pass block at a high level for high school, but will have to get stronger on the next level. Good feet, finishes his blocks playing to the whistle.

After the game, Ward told me the No. 1 prospect he's trying to get to join him in Iowa City is Top247 DL Faith Ekakitie, who is from nearby Lake Forest (Ill.) Academy. He said that Faith was excited about Iowa's defensive line tradition. Faith has told me the same thing in the past.

Ward added that he believes he'll red-shirt his first year at Iowa.

Again, more coming when I make it back home to Indianapolis. Look for updates on Taylor and Lile.

Steve Wiltfong on Ryan Ward

Last edited:

Latest posts