Iowa City High Coach Brad Smith to retire

Good. They need new blood. City used to be great in wrestling - shouldn't be second fiddle to West.

The coaching search should start with Cory Connell and I think that he's the guy there. I do think that Tyler Nixt could become involved as well as he already helps run the kids club there.

Enjoyed watching smith, campbell and yeagle in the 70's. From what I remember he had really long legs for his body. Nice to find out what he ended up doing with his life.

The coaching search should start with Cory Connell and I think that he's the guy there. I do think that Tyler Nixt could become involved as well as he already helps run the kids club there.

I agree...grew up with Cory...would be a great hire.

Pretty amazing. In 34 years, his teams finished 1st(10) 2nd(9) fifty-six percent of the time. Unreal.

Now here is my question. It said 5 of his wrestlers went on to win NCAA titles. I know Mcginness and Alger won at the next level. Can anyone help with the other three? I feel I should know, I wrestled in eastern iowa and coached at the 3A level for six years in the 90's, but I cant remember the other three.

I know someone will get these.

Thanks.

I see Chad Beatty's the assistant over at West High. I wonder if he'd throw his name into the hat. I don't know much of his coaching abilities but having a former Hawkeye who had some success seems like it'd be a good start.

Cory Connell has accepted the position.

Good for him...and good for CITY HIGH

Most things go in cycles. I think within the next 5-10 years Iowa City High will be the hot school again instead of West.

I have no ties to either program but just the way I see it playing out. I really like the hire for City High.

Latest posts