Iowa breaks 100 points!

They ended up scoring 111 pts and had I believe 6 players in double figures led by May with 21 and basabe with 19. Marble had 14 and three more players had 10 or more.

That is a great way to start a new coaching era. To score 111, even in a exhibition without arguably their best player, is very impressive. Sucks having Directv and having to wait until Tuesday to watch the game.

I know it was against Illinois Springfield, but I thought the Hawks looked pretty good.
Basabe and McCabe both look like they're going to be good ones.

If nothing else they were at least entertaining to watch, which is light years ahead of last season.

Great start Fran and Co.!!! Maybe we can get some people excited again, I wonder how long before someone blogs about keeping the starters in too long or running up the score. Im 51 and remember Ralph Miller's teams, in the late sixties, hopefully some talented recruits will notice the Hawkeyes new style!!

Some other tid-bits:
* team shoots 60+ % from the field
* Cully, 0 turnovers, 10 assists
* 40 pts out of 1st year players

Must, however, control the hype, too early and weak opponent.

Some other tid-bits:
* team shoots 60+ % from the field
* Cully, 0 turnovers, 10 assists
* 40 pts out of 1st year players

Must, however, control the hype, too early and weak opponent.

Control the Hype? Really! Not going to get all worked up about that. Fran and company in the baby stages of rebuilding. The word Hype is not a good word.

It's really nice to see players on the court having fun and enjoy playing a sport they grew up to play. Iowa lacked that under Lickliter. It was a joy to watch the Iowa Hawkeyes play the game of Basketball and not keep away. It was nice to see an Iowa team take it to another team. I could go on and on.. It was just nice to a change!!

May was a beast this whole game. Incredible hustle from every man on hawk roster the complete game, and yet it was only an exhibition matchup. If Iowa can paly with this urgency for a game that doesnt change the win column I think we can trust our players to keep the level their at or higher throughout the hole season.

As most are saying, may not be ranked highly among conference at the end of the year, but it should be a lot of fun to watch this year.

Again, understand the competition, but look at ALL the fastbreaks!!!! Good lord, that's more than we had the entire last year, and possibly Lacklusters entire tenure!

I went to the game and really enjoyed watching the Hawks attack! They were much more aggressive than they have been in recent years. Enjoyed seeing Fran coach from the bench instead of a coach that had his head in his palm.

Thoughts on the players from an untrained eye...

Payne - I think he did a jump pass once but it was not one of his typical jump passes which is good. I hate jump passes. He was grabbing at his knee in the second half and briefly went to the locker room (jogged in). Did not look like anything serious. He handled the ball fairly well.

Cartwright - the guy is quick and can finish at the rim. Made some heads up defensive plays, sneaking into passing lanes for steals.

May - I expected the dunks but what impressed me the most was his jump shooting. It is only a 1 game sample but it looks like he has been working on it.

McCabe - as has been said here before, all around good player. Good shot and can dribble drive.

Basabe - decent moves under the rim but needs to keep working on them. He works the boads hard. Made a couple of nice blocks on defense. Looks to be a decent free throw shooter, has a nice touch. I probably don't need to say that he is very athletic.

Cole - thought he was going to sit this one out but he looked good. Hit a nice 10-12 footer on a jump stop.

Brommer - Drove to the basket and finished! Was good to see that. Caught the ball in traffic and scored another time. He looks improved from last year. Needs to avoid getting into foul trouble.

Marble - his shot was not on today. Missed a couple 3s badly. Had a nice put back over a UIS player. Needs to move his feet more on defense to avoid foul trouble.

Archie - I was not impressed by Archie at all. He really did not do much. Had some trouble handling the ball inside. He does not go up to the rim strong. Did not appear to have a good shot.

Stoermer - made some mistakes with the ball but hit a couple of nice 3s.

Strong game against weak competition. One other thing I thought was interesting, the starters stayed in for about the first 6 minutes of the game. You can tell they have been doing a lot of running in practice.

Last edited:
I can't wait to see what they do this year. Even if they don't make too much head way this year, that is completely understandable in the situation that Coach Lick put them into, but as long as they are competitive. But if they actually buy into the way that Fran coaches, I think we could be the surprise team in the Big Ten. Maybe not a contender but much better than the bottom of the league like many analysts have us pegged as.

I want the team to play an entertaining style, and I want to see that they players are having fun. I don't expect them to win very many games this year.

It'll take time, but the rest will take care of itself over the next few seasons.

Latest posts