Iowa & Big Ten Bowl Projections for 11-21

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
Bowl Projections for 11-21 | Hawkeye Nation

Here are my bowl projections for the week ending 11-21, with final game projections for the teams I believe will go to a bowl game from the Big Ten:

ROSE: Wisconsin (11-1/7-1) **Get Rose bid due to highest BCS ranking
BCS: Ohio State (11-1/7-1) **At large selection
CAP ONE: Michigan State (11-1/7-1)
OUTBACK: Iowa (8-4/5-3)
GATOR: Penn State (7-5/4-4)
INSIGHT: Michigan (7-5/3-5)
TEXAS: Illinois (7-5/4-4)
DALLAS: Northwestern (7-5/3-5)

Reason for my change from last week’s Insight prediction for Iowa: I think Rich Rodriguez is going to be fired after the Wolverines lose to Ohio State and I think it’s going to be a major beat down. Michigan will have finished the year with two blowouts, and a defense that is a couple years away from being average. Rich Rod does not have the internal support at Michigan to keep his job and I don’t think the Gator is going to take them.

I think Michigan State will now beat Penn State, getting a wake up call this weekend after a late rally against Purdue at home. I think the Nittany Lions will be 7-5, and the Outback would be within their rights to take a 7-5 Penn State over an 8-4 Iowa, but I think travel to this one will be a tossup. I think you could make a case for either Penn State or Iowa traveling better for this, but I think it’s probably similar for both schools.

This would be Iowa’s fourth Outback Bowl since 2003, but Iowa fans that have made that trip before know how much fun it is and they should be able to send 10,000 to 15,000 fans to the game.

Theres no rule for Big Ten record? Wouldn't PSU have a worse BT record than Iowa?

If thats the case, than how do teams like Northwestern or Indiana ever have a chance of going to a decent bowl?

Theres no rule for Big Ten record? Wouldn't PSU have a worse BT record than Iowa?

If thats the case, than how do teams like Northwestern or Indiana ever have a chance of going to a decent bowl?

Cap One and Outback cannot take a team that is -2 in win column...if Iowa were 9-3 and PSU were 7-5, they could not take PSU or any team with two fewer wins..they can take a team with one fewer win.

Hey John don't you think that Iowa would be able to send more than 10,000-15,000 fans I was thinkign say 22 or 23,000?

I have found Iowa fans to have moderate to severe amnesia.

Beat Minney....let some time elapse, and we'll travel.[/QUOTE]

Find some reasonable rates, some good deals.....maybe. A traditional big name SEC power as an opponent would help.

Re: Iowa & Big Ten Bowl Projections for 11-21
I have found Iowa fans to have moderate to severe amnesia.

Beat Minney....let some time elapse, and we'll travel.[/QUOTE]

Find some reasonable rates, some good deals.....maybe. A traditional big name SEC power as an opponent would help.

This is so true that it cracks me up! Beat Minnesota, tear down goal posts, no revolving door stoppping our fans from bringing them home this time around! Get an SEC Team in a bowl game in Florida as an excuse to get out of the winter and BOOM... Many Hawkeye fans show up!
Remember last year when someone posted that a Georgia Tech fan asked why we didn't have a pro team in Iowa because they were told we supposedly didn't have the population to support it, but were outnumbering them 4 to 1!

If it's Florida, I'm in! I will drive from DSM to Orlando - I have a free room in Orlando and can drive to Tampa or Jacksonville from there. My first bowl since 2002 Orange. You guys may be bummed, but I am pumped! Let's beat the goophers and watch MSU take down Joe Pa.

Darn. You know I was pretty much convinced about not going down for a bowl game this year, but if Iowa plays in the Outback I might have to reconsider. I could do a Florida vacation on a bit of the cheap this year without doing the whole Disney thing and all. Just take the kids to hang out on the beach.

It is a nice time to get out of the middle, also that is a pretty good stadium for a bowl game.

But it is going to be a really hard sell on the wife. She is not happy with the Hawks right now.

Really...a New Year's trip to Tampa is really a pretty good consolation prize for the most disappointing season EVER.

Assuming, of course, we beat Minnesota, which with this crew is a pretty tenuous assumption.

Bowl Projections for 11-21 | Hawkeye Nation

Here are my bowl projections for the week ending 11-21, with final game projections for the teams I believe will go to a bowl game from the Big Ten:

ROSE: Wisconsin (11-1/7-1) **Get Rose bid due to highest BCS ranking
BCS: Ohio State (11-1/7-1) **At large selection
CAP ONE: Michigan State (11-1/7-1)
OUTBACK: Iowa (8-4/5-3)
GATOR: Penn State (7-5/4-4)
INSIGHT: Michigan (7-5/3-5)
TEXAS: Illinois (7-5/4-4)
DALLAS: Northwestern (7-5/3-5)

Reason for my change from last week’s Insight prediction for Iowa: I think Rich Rodriguez is going to be fired after the Wolverines lose to Ohio State and I think it’s going to be a major beat down. Michigan will have finished the year with two blowouts, and a defense that is a couple years away from being average. Rich Rod does not have the internal support at Michigan to keep his job and I don’t think the Gator is going to take them.

I think Michigan State will now beat Penn State, getting a wake up call this weekend after a late rally against Purdue at home. I think the Nittany Lions will be 7-5, and the Outback would be within their rights to take a 7-5 Penn State over an 8-4 Iowa, but I think travel to this one will be a tossup. I think you could make a case for either Penn State or Iowa traveling better for this, but I think it’s probably similar for both schools.

This would be Iowa’s fourth Outback Bowl since 2003, but Iowa fans that have made that trip before know how much fun it is and they should be able to send 10,000 to 15,000 fans to the game.

Iowa had their wake up call against Indiana and look what happened.

Anything can happen and that includes an Iowa loss and a Penn State win. That said I'm hoping and praying for an Iowa win to finish the regular season at 8-4.

Remember last year when someone posted that a Georgia Tech fan asked why we didn't have a pro team in Iowa because they were told we supposedly didn't have the population to support it, but were outnumbering them 4 to 1!

That was me, He asked me why we don't have a pro team, my response was we only have 3 million people in the state, his response "Look around, you have four times as many people as we do and we are a hell of a lot closer" Pretty good feeling. Another GT fan stated he had been to all of the major college football stadiums in the south (SEC and ACC) and stated none of their fan bases compared to Iowas in terms of support and "passion"

Which is more pathetic. A 5-7 team going to a crappy bowl or a borderline top 20 team going to a Jan 1st bowl?

Which is more pathetic. A 5-7 team going to a crappy bowl or a borderline top 20 team going to a Jan 1st bowl?

well, I am of the opinion that only the five traditional new years day bowls should be on Jan 1
Fiesta
Rose
Orange
Sugar
Cotton (when it was a bigger game than it is now).

Top Ten teams play on New Years

next 3 or 4 bowls are on New Years Eve. Then the others scattered out between Christmas and New Years Eve. A total of 15 bowl games - make it an actual reward to go to a game. Basically it should take 8-4 to make a bowl game.

Wow, I sound like an old man and I am only 32.

It's all about TV money. As far as whether it's pathetic, I could care less. If possible, I will go support my team and while there enjoy the local area ammenities and tailgate like crazy.

well, I am of the opinion that only the five traditional new years day bowls should be on Jan 1
Fiesta
Rose
Orange
Sugar
Cotton (when it was a bigger game than it is now).

Top Ten teams play on New Years

next 3 or 4 bowls are on New Years Eve. Then the others scattered out between Christmas and New Years Eve. A total of 15 bowl games - make it an actual reward to go to a game. Basically it should take 8-4 to make a bowl game.

Wow, I sound like an old man and I am only 32.

I am 49 and agree with you. Cotton Bowl was a top 4 bowl in the 70's. Wish it still was. I like college football, but the max bowl games should be 25. I remember the Sugar Bowl being played on New Years Eve.

Latest posts