Iowa Basketball lands Filip Rebraca Commitment

Seems like most overseas kids are a bit older and more mature. This kid should be Big Ten Ready. I am penciling him in as a starter.

JT
Perkins
PMac
Keegan
Rebraca

That said, I think the only starter you can write down in pen right now is Keegan. Everyone else will have to earn the starting job. There is some good raw talent behind each of these guys.

Conner will be coming off the bench with 2 years of starting experience and all the savy and IQ in the world. If JBO comes back, (50/50 in my mind), you have a 4 year starter also coming off the bench. I know many of you think Fran would start both of these guys. I hope not. Next year's team needs to be faster and different. These two guys need to be valuable role players off the bench.

Seems like most overseas kids are a bit older and more mature. This kid should be Big Ten Ready. I am penciling him in as a starter.

JT
Perkins
PMac
Keegan
Rebraca

That said, I think the only starter you can write down in pen right now is Keegan. Everyone else will have to earn the starting job. There is some good raw talent behind each of these guys.

Conner will be coming off the bench with 2 years of starting experience and all the savy and IQ in the world. If JBO comes back, (50/50 in my mind), you have a 4 year starter also coming off the bench. I know many of you think Fran would start both of these guys. I hope not. Next year's team needs to be faster and different. These two guys need to be valuable role players off the bench.
I agree with all of this in theory and like that starting 5. But I have a hard time believing Connor and/or JBo will not start if they are back. I'd love it if that were the case, though.

6’9” seems a little undersized.
Maybe. But there were only 2 starters in the final 4 this year who were 6'10". everyone else 6'9" and below. We would be a little undersized, but not horribly to where it should be a big deficiency.

JT
Perkins
PMac
Keegan
Rebraca

Connor is definitely starting. I would guess at the point. This doesn’t mean others won’t play more minutes a game. But Fran will want experience, passing and ball handling on the court to start the game with all that youth IMO.

Connor just has to get to around 35% on the 3 and 78% from the line. If he can hit these numbers he’ll be an asset.

Side Note - Toussaint and Patrick have some incredible chemistry. They have to be on the floor together.

JT
Perkins
PMac
Keegan
Rebraca

It wouldn't surprise me to see Connor back at the point, especially if JT doesn't get his turnovers under control and I think Uhlis is in the mix. Otherwise I agree I think Keegan is the only sure starter, Rebraca may be a close 2nd only by default.

JT
Perkins
PMac
Keegan
Rebraca

You have what I think it should be but probably not what it will be... I bet Conner starts and plays more then he should. I'd much rather get a longer look at both his brother and Kris Murray then him.

I thought there was a chance CM would hang up his sneakers and focus on baseball but that hasn't seemed to have happened yet. Maybe it still will your guess is certainly as good as mine.

Love this add on and hoping he can come in and help bridge this team a little into the future. I hope I didn't alienate anyone by bringing this opinion to this post.

You have what I think it should be but probably not what it will be... I bet Conner starts and plays more then he should. I'd much rather get a longer look at both his brother and Kris Murray then him.

I thought there was a chance CM would hang up his sneakers and focus on baseball but that hasn't seemed to have happened yet. Maybe it still will your guess is certainly as good as mine.
Connor won’t be taking minutes from these guys. He has to play the 1 IMO.

Connor won’t be taking minutes from these guys. He has to play the 1 IMO.
I'm not so sure. I think JT, Uliss and Perkins will get the lions share of the guard mins. CM I think will handle the ball a lot in the half court on O sure. He will continue to feed the post and help run the O like he does. But he can't guard 1s at all. So while he's out there one of those other guards at the least will also be out there too. Which takes mins from either PM or the Murray bros.

Granted Fran likes to tinker with lineups some and early on next yr I suspect they'll be a bunch of that. Other then Keegan Murray there's not a lot of certainty to be found out there. Heck Rebracca has been a Hawk for less then 2 days and I'd say he's about as certain to start day 1 next yr of anyone else we have.

I'm not so sure. I think JT, Uliss and Perkins will get the lions share of the guard mins. CM I think will handle the ball a lot in the half court on O sure. He will continue to feed the post and help run the O like he does. But he can't guard 1s at all. So while he's out there one of those other guards at the least will also be out there too. Which takes mins from either PM or the Murray bros.

Granted Fran likes to tinker with lineups some and early on next yr I suspect they'll be a bunch of that. Other then Keegan Murray there's not a lot of certainty to be found out there. Heck Rebracca has been a Hawk for less then 2 days and I'd say he's about as certain to start day 1 next yr of anyone else we have.
Definitely agree that there will be tinkering. Fran may not settle on his top guys until conference play.

Yeah and at 225 lbs it kinda is against the Kofi Cockburns of the world. Thankfully their aren't a ton of them out there. If/when we play with he and either JO or Mulvey at the same time he can play the stretch 4 more where I think he's the most comfortable. So we'll see just how good/ready to play those other two guys are

Many of you may be right about Connor, and maybe he does shift back to the PG.

We all know his shooting/scoring is not going to get any better. He mostly played with 4 legit 3 point shooters and was given wide open looks all last year. His percentage was ok, but not acceptable with the looks he got. He just is not ever going to be a good shooter.

He is a great passer and floor general, but I really believe that one of the greatest pure centers in a decade sure made a lot of guys look like assist machines. Without that scoring machine to pass to, Connor's presence on the floor is less important. We do not have four other proven scorers out there this season.

I am not bagging on the kid. I love his play and he has proven his doubters wrong. But, this team is going to be offensively challenged next year and Connor aint the cure for that. He could be a hell of a 6th man. I just think we have better options at the 1 and the 4 to start.

I keep hearing stretch 4. The highlights I am watching on youtube says stretch 4, but I listened to the Milller/Morehouse podcast at work today and they are saying the complete opposite. Miller is saying he is definitely a 5.

The sport is becoming more and more positionless... at this point I just shrug my shoulders and say he can make it work.

I keep hearing stretch 4. The highlights I am watching on youtube says stretch 4, but I listened to the Milller/Morehouse podcast at work today and they are saying the complete opposite. Miller is saying he is definitely a 5.

The sport is becoming more and more positionless... at this point I just shrug my shoulders and say he can make it work.
At his height, he could play the 3, 4, or,5. 5 gives him a chance to step in immediately there. and possibly start.

I really think Iowa will be an interesting team to watch next year. I see them pushing the ball upcourt and pressing like the Davis teams of old. I would love to see it. We got little tastes of it when the younger guys were on the court. Perkins is physical, JT is quick, and Patrick is great in transition. It they commit to the pressure defense and transition the loss of CJ will be less painful. I would still love to see Wiezy come back and be part of that.

The sport is becoming more and more positionless... at this point I just shrug my shoulders and say he can make it work

He only shot 15 3s last year hes more a small 5 then a stretch 4. He can pry play the 4 but hes not going to be hovering around the 3pt line.

Latest posts