• 8-12

Votes: 6 17.1%
  • 7-13

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6-14 or worse

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
As weird as it is to say I think Friday’s game against UW might be a must win for Iowa. The road to 10 or 11 wins gets very tough without that one.

I was thinking of asking everyone if they thought the Wisky game was a must win, but decided agin it.

You already bet me $50 that Iowa wouldn't dance - with the way the Non Con is going, 11-9 is likely gonna be enough. So, I guess you would bet at least a wooden nickle.
You guys are gonna do the right thing and donate that $50 to the hospital online, right?

I mean, I paid $10 for @4thngoal to change his avatar; there was no way I was sending him the money.

I am still waiting for ClintonIaFan's season prediction. He refuses to post it, even though he always predicts the Hawks to win every game, in every sport. C'mon Clinton....man up.

I say the Hawks will go 11-9.

You guys are gonna do the right thing and donate that $50 to the hospital online, right?

I mean, I paid $10 for @4thngoal to change his avatar; there was no way I was sending him the money.

I assume someone with Lightning1's character is going to totally welsh on the bet. In fact, I am counting on it, cause for me that would be even better than the $50. I could hold that over his head forever and trust me I will. I know he has me muted.... strange considering while I love to debate you guys on here, I'm always gonna keep it civil. He was TRIGGERED! If I accomplish nothing in life, at least I got into that guys head. He's famous on twitter for being one of the biggest trolls on any Hawkeye site, so I feel accomplished.

I am still waiting for ClintonIaFan's season prediction. He refuses to post it, even though he always predicts the Hawks to win every game, in every sport. C'mon Clinton....man up.

I say the Hawks will go 11-9.
I’m guessing he’s the 15-5 or better vote above.

I'm at 11-9 also. I think there is going to be a log jam of teams with 9-11 conference wins this year and are going to need at least 1 win in the B1G tourney to insure a ticket to the dance. 15-5 might win the conference this year.

It’s interesting albeit not surprising how much sentiment changes around here in a short time. Before we played at MSG everyone was expecting us to get run out of the gym.

Two weeks later and the majority of posters are thinking Iowa will have a winning conference record after a 4-14 mark last year.

Iowa hasn’t played a true road game to date (they were down double digits in every one of those last year, and only won one road game).

I’ve been happy with the addition of Weiskamp, Connor’s play, and the shorter rotation, but I still think getting to 10-10 in this league is going to be very tough. Kenpom currently has us 10th in the league with NW and Minnesota not too far behind us.

FWIW I chose 10-10 and I would be happy with that mark. In my mind I’m seeing 8-12 or 9-11.

It’s interesting albeit not surprising how much sentiment changes around here in a short time. Before we played at MSG everyone was expecting us to get run out of the gym.

Two weeks later and the majority of posters are thinking Iowa will have a winning conference record after a 4-14 mark last year.

Iowa hasn’t played a true road game to date (they were down double digits in every one of those last year, and only won one road game).

I’ve been happy with the addition of Weiskamp, Connor’s play, and the shorter rotation, but I still think getting to 10-10 in this league is going to be very tough. Kenpom currently has us 10th in the league with NW and Minnesota not too far behind us.

FWIW I chose 10-10 and I would be happy with that mark. In my mind I’m seeing 8-12 or 9-11.

The majority is often wrong on here. Why? Because none of us can predict the future. Sports on all levels, rarely plays out like it's "suppose to". There's no expert, and while some may understand that game better than others, you still can't predict the future better than anyone else. That's half the reason I talk any kind of smack to you guys, cause you're clueless just like me....and powerless to do anything about it. You guys just act like you know your dick from your nose and frankly I get a kick out of it.

I've been saying ALL off season that I expect a HUGE pendulum swing from this team. I laid it out and said, I expect this team to take on the persona of their coach.... when things are bad, they are real bad, when they are good, they are freaking really good. Roller coaster of emotion much like Mount Fran. I expected Connor to be great. Why? Because he's the highest ranked guard Iowa has. I liked it when the 2 worse players on the team transferred out. I expected Garza to make a leap cause he's a beast. You could tell he was NO WHERE near his ceiling last season. I expected Daily to benefit from being pushed into his role last season.

Now you say, Good, you're a blind homer....., errrr sorry... I need to only say things in your words.... "A known Kool-Aid drinker". Am I? When Iowa was 6-1 in football and we were gonna win the B1G West and people were talking play offs..... and we "needed WI to lose games to win it" - my take was WI was gonna lose again don't worry, but so was Iowa....likely multiple games.

This doesn't make me "right" or an expert, it makes me a good guesser.

Home games vs Rutgers, Illinois and NW should be wins
Road games vs Sparty, Ohio State and Purdue are probably losses.
The rest seem like coin flips

10-10

The majority is often wrong on here. Why? Because none of us can predict the future. Sports on all levels, rarely plays out like it's "suppose to". There's no expert, and while some may understand that game better than others, you still can't predict the future better than anyone else. That's half the reason I talk any kind of smack to you guys, cause you're clueless just like me....and powerless to do anything about it. You guys just act like you know your dick from your nose and frankly I get a kick out of it.

I've been saying ALL off season that I expect a HUGE pendulum swing from this team. I laid it out and said, I expect this team to take on the persona of their coach.... when things are bad, they are real bad, when they are good, they are freaking really good. Roller coaster of emotion much like Mount Fran. I expected Connor to be great. Why? Because he's the highest ranked guard Iowa has. I liked it when the 2 worse players on the team transferred out. I expected Garza to make a leap cause he's a beast. You could tell he was NO WHERE near his ceiling last season. I expected Daily to benefit from being pushed into his role last season.

Now you say, Good, you're a blind homer....., errrr sorry... I need to only say things in your words.... "A known Kool-Aid drinker". Am I? When Iowa was 6-1 in football and we were gonna win the B1G West and people were talking play offs..... and we "needed WI to lose games to win it" - my take was WI was gonna lose again don't worry, but so was Iowa....likely multiple games.

This doesn't make me "right" or an expert, it makes me a good guesser.
It’s still funny to me that you think you’ve nailed your b-ball predictions through 6 games. I could go back and forth with you all day on some of that stuff (guy brings up recruiting rankings again when he has disparaged them 10 times over?). Sometimes that’s fun but I’m more excited about talking about the success this team is having thus far.

But you are correct everyone here has been wrong before and we are just making predictions. I guess I’m just trying to provide some caution because it seems like people are really eating up this ranking. These early season rankings are meaningless.

Take our opponent Friday Wisconsin for example. They are ranked 22. They played Virginia to a tight game in the Bahamas. Say they make 3 more contested 3s that game and Virginia misses 3 wide open shots they made. Wisconsin wins the game and is probably ranked in the top 10 this week. Does that somehow make Wisconsin any better or worse of a team?

How about Iowa? Say Oregon makes every shot they throw up and Iowa can’t hit their 3s or free throws that night. Oregon wins and Iowa steamrolls Cuse or UConn the next night. Is Iowa even sniffing a ranking right now? I highly doubt it. Do we know if Oregon was even deserving of their ranking at that time? Is Iowa somehow a better team because they have that 14 next to their name?
(*note I think you already understand this logic and have mentioned in your posts I’m just not sure everyone does).

I guess it’s just going to be frustrating to hear the we were ranked 14 how did we have this meltdown crowd come out if we start losing some games. But what should I expect it’s a message board I guess.

Iowa played bad in their first two games, very good in their next two games, Alabama State is atrocious, and then they had one bad half and on good half against Pitt. That has all added up to a 6-0 record, but I’m not sure what it means going forward. I still see a few flaws with this team which doesn’t make me a negative guy. Even after a few losses I was still saying the football team was pretty darn good, which is still think they are.

Pumped for the game tomorrow would be a huge win to start conference play!

Last edited:
It’s still funny to me that you think you’ve nailed your b-ball predictions though 6 games. I could go back and forth with you all day on some of that stuff (guy brings up recruiting rankings again when he has disparaged them 10 times over?). Sometimes that’s fun but I’m more excited about talking about the success this team is having thus far.

But you are correct everyone here has been wrong before and we are just making predictions. I guess I’m just trying to provide some caution because it seems like people are really eating up this ranking. These early season rankings are meaningless.

Take our opponent Friday Wisconsin for example. They are ranked 22. They played Virginia to a tight game in the Bahamas. Say they make 3 more contested 3s that game and Virginia misses 3 wide open shots they made. Wisconsin wins the game and is probably ranked in the top 10 this week. Does that somehow make Wisconsin any better or worse of a team?

How about Iowa? Say Oregon makes every shot they throw up and Iowa can’t hit their 3s or free throws that night. Oregon wins and Iowa steamrolls Cuse or UConn the next night. Is Iowa even sniffing a ranking right now? I highly doubt it. Do we know if Oregon was even deserving of their ranking at that time? Is Iowa somehow a better team because they have that 14 next to their name?
(*note I think you already understand this logic and have mentioned in your posts I’m just not sure everyone does).

I guess it’s just going to be frustrating to hear the we were ranked 14 how did we have this meltdown crowd come out if we start losing some games. But what should I expect it’s a message board I guess.

Iowa played bad in their first two games, very good in their next two games, Alabama State is atrocious, and then they had one bad half and on good half against Pitt. That has all added up to a 6-0 record, but I’m not sure what it means going forward. I still see a few flaws with this team which doesn’t make me a negative guy. Even after a few losses I was still saying the football team was pretty darn good, which is still think they are.

Pumped for the game tomorrow would be a huge win to start conference play!

Oh I could do it all day too... it's fun for me, hopefully it is for you.

I've never said that recruiting rankings don't matter. Never. I have said that they are can be incredibly inaccurate because it's hard to tell how a 15, 16 year old kid is going to mature. Did I disparage Patrick's rating? No you did. Did I disparage Connor's ranking? No you did. When's the last time I said "hey, recruiting rankings don't matter, just look at Aaron White or insert players name here?" - NEVER. I've been the one saying "You don't know, and either do they, how it's gonna turn out... let's at least let them play some meaningful minutes before we write them off". I think you have me confused, but that's ok, I've misquoted you more than enough that it's embarrassing. I think they matter for sure but they aren't the end all be all. I think you think the same thing btw.

I do know that I said before the year started, that this team IMO, on paper and with what I know, had the opportunity to be one of the most talented Fran has had. I still think that. I'm plenty cautious but I don't care. The team is going lose games. I don't think they are the #14 team in the country. I've said that a lot. I think the ranking works against them in fact. I wouldn't have them ranked at all. 6 games isn't enough data. But I've maintained we were a guard short last season. Looks like we were. I said that I think the over seas trip is bad for this program. I still think that. I thought we were young last year with no upperclassman to lead. I feel that's at least better this year. I felt like Jordan needed help and that Connor could provide that. We aren't a program that can plug in 2 freshman and a bunch of sophomores and be good. None of Fran's teams have been made of that make up. More developmental and Fran typically finds a guy and builds them up, by the time of the senior season, they have a great year.

But, you have to admit that you and others have led a charge of being miserable all off season and the Iowa basketball program in general. I didn't blame you then. I don't blame you now. I get it. Last season left a huge mark on me too. So much so that I am ready for Fran to be gonzo if he doesn't turn it around this year. That's it, he gets one more year because IMO, he had done some nice things leading up to last year. That's been my stance all along and for that I get called names and made out to be an idiot cause that's what ya'll do.

Now things are going good and I still gotta be cautious? That's rich to me. I'm not talking to you directly, but fans in general with that kind of talk. STFU about it until Iowa loses, then tell me what's up.... then it's your turn.

Last edited:
But, you have to admit that you and others have led a charge of being miserable all off season and the Iowa basketball program in general. I didn't blame you then. I don't blame you now. I get it. Last season left a huge mark on me too. So much so that I am ready for Fran to be gonzo if he doesn't turn it around this year. That's it, he gets one more year because IMO, he had done some nice things leading up to last year. That's been my stance all along and for that I get called names and made out to be an idiot cause that's what ya'll do.

Now things are going good and I still gotta be cautious? That's rich to me. I'm not talking to directly, but fans in general with that kind of talk. STFU about it until Iowa loses, then tell me what's up.... then it's your turn.
I’m pretty sure you and I were in the same boat on Fran. You said no tournament this year and he should be gone, I wanted him gone because I didn’t think we’d dance this year. None of it mattered in the world of GB anyway but maybe Fran is going make a run back to the dance this year, that would be awesome.

Again I’m not exactly sure where you think I was the one leading the negative charge around here. I said on a few occasions I think Iowa could be a bubble team. I was low on some players which you recall but high on others which slips your mind I guess. I literally started a thread days before the season about how this could be the best 3pt shooting team in the Fran era. That doesn’t seem negative.

I don’t want to tell anyone anything if Iowa starts losing. I guess I’m just preparing for the meltdown that’s going to happen either way. You're pretty level headed so you’ll be okay but but you may say this proves Fran’s teams swing one direction or another, my argument would be that doesn’t exactly mean that. It could be that Oregon and UConn aren’t very good and we caught them on bad nights or it could be Iowa is really good. The point is I don’t know yet. We don’t know enough yet to say one way or another, but if we do lose some games you can bet people will say we were the 14th ranked team in the country how did we go under .500 in the B1G? There is really nothing I can do to stop it so not sure why I’m trying.

I’m pretty sure you and I were in the same boat on Fran. You said no tournament this year and he should be gone, I wanted him gone because I didn’t think we’d dance this year. None of it mattered in the world of GB anyway but maybe Fran is going make a run back to the dance this year, that would be awesome.

Again I’m not exactly sure where you think I was the one leading the negative charge around here. I said on a few occasions I think Iowa could be a bubble team. I was low on some players which you recall but high on others which slips your mind I guess. I literally started a thread days before the season about how this could be the best 3pt shooting team in the Fran era. That doesn’t seem negative.

I don’t want to tell anyone anything if Iowa starts losing. I guess I’m just preparing for the meltdown that’s going to happen either way. You're pretty level headed so you’ll be okay but but you may say this proves Fran’s teams swing one direction or another, my argument would be that doesn’t exactly mean that. It could be that Oregon and UConn aren’t very good and we caught them on bad nights or it could be Iowa is really good. The point is I don’t know yet. We don’t know enough yet to say one way or another, but if we do lose some games you can bet people will say we were the 14th ranked team in the country how did we go under .500 in the B1G? There is really nothing I can do to stop it so not sure why I’m trying.

You are absolutely right about how people are going to be like "Woah, look at the choke job, from 14th to 0-2 in the B1G....haha told ya so, Fire Fran, Barta has bad teeth". It's inevitable, but that doesn't mean I need to be cautious. They are already playing with house money 6 games in. Time to enjoy it. I don't think that starting 6-0 means I am right about anything. Just maybe you guys weren't so right about things either. I am not big on being "right"... I am more of a "hey you were wrong guy" haha.

and No I don't think you are overly negative but you have been in the "Fran should have been fired" camp longer than me and it shows in your replies and you have come and gave me the business more than a share of times when I was being positive or excited about this season. So, that put ya in my cross hairs.

You're a good fan. I like you. I am sorry that I have been a dick sometimes cause I get wrapped up in it. I hate the constant bashing from a lot of clueless people. I don't think you're clueless..... and damn it, I LOVE to be snarky. I know you say be cautious because we're headed for Heart Break City. We both know that, cause Iowa will never be good enough because we want them to be the best and we both know that's not gonna be true.

Quick glance at schedule = 6 W's / 6 ? / 8 L's.
Until proven, I split the ? at 2-4 and end up with 8-12.
giphy.gif

You are absolutely right about how people are going to be like "Woah, look at the choke job, from 14th to 0-2 in the B1G....haha told ya so, Fire Fran, Barta has bad teeth". It's inevitable, but that doesn't mean I need to be cautious. They are already playing with house money 6 games in. Time to enjoy it. I don't think that starting 6-0 means I am right about anything. Just maybe you guys weren't so right about things either. I am not big on being "right"... I am more of a "hey you were wrong guy" haha.

and No I don't think you are overly negative but you have been in the "Fran should have been fired" camp longer than me and it shows in your replies and you have come and gave me the business more than a share of times when I was being positive or excited about this season. So, that put ya in my cross hairs.

You're a good fan. I like you. I am sorry that I have been a dick sometimes cause I get wrapped up in it. I hate the constant bashing from a lot of clueless people. I don't think you're clueless..... and damn it, I LOVE to be snarky. I know you say be cautious because we're headed for Heart Break City. We both know that, cause Iowa will never be good enough because we want them to be the best and we both know that's not gonna be true.
Fair enough. See my reply in the other thread. I’m not saying you have to be cautious or can’t enjoy this. I’m enjoying the heck out of this.

I’m just providing a few areas for caution not for you but for everyone on this board. What they do with it is anyone’s guess. Similar to when you were playing devil’s advocate to the doom and gloom crowd I’m just providing a different view point to the current crowd.

great point/post.

It’s like estrogen is the drug of choice