Iowa Adds Troy to '24 Schedule, Adjusts '23 Dates

RobHowe

Administrator
IOWA CITY, Iowa -- The University of Iowa has added Troy University to its 2024 football schedule. The announcement was made Friday by the Iowa Athletics Department.

The addition of Troy visiting Kinnick Stadium on Sept. 14, 2024, completes Iowa's 2024 schedule and marks the first football game between the two programs. Additional nonconference games include Iowa hosting Illinois State to open the season Aug. 31, and Iowa State visiting Kinnick Stadium on Sept. 7 for the annual Iowa Corn Cy-Hawk Series contest. The date of the Iowa State game had not previously been announced. Iowa visits Iowa State on Sept. 6, 2025.

In addition to the contract completing the 2024 schedule, Iowa also announced a change to the 2023 schedule. Home dates with Western Michigan and Utah State have been exchanged from previous contracted dates. Utah State will visit Iowa City Sept. 2, 2023, with Western Michigan playing at Iowa on Sept. 16.

Iowa's Big Ten Conference schedule in 2024 includes home dates with Northwestern, Maryland, Wisconsin, and Nebraska, while the Hawkeyes travel to Purdue, Rutgers, Illinois, Indiana, and Minnesota.

Following are Iowa's complete schedules for 2023 and 2024.

2023 Schedule
Sept. 2 Utah State
Sept. 9 at Iowa State (Iowa Corn Cy-Hawk Series)
Sept. 16 Western Michigan
Sept. 23 Purdue (FW)
Sept. 30 at Wisconsin
Oct. 7 Rutgers (HC)
Oct. 14 at Northwestern
Oct. 21 Michigan State
Oct. 28 at Penn State
Nov. 4 Minnesota
Nov. 11 Open
Nov. 18 Illinois
Nov. 24 at Nebraska

2024 Schedule
Aug. 31 Illinois State
Sept. 7 Iowa State (Iowa Corn Cy-Hawk Series)
Sept. 14 Troy
Sept. 28 at Purdue
Oct. 5 Northwestern (HC)
Oct. 12 at Rutgers
Oct. 19 at Illinois
Oct. 26 Maryland (FW)
Nov. 2 at Indiana
Nov. 9 Open
Nov. 16 at Minnesota
Nov. 23 Wisconsin
Nov. 29 Nebraska

Hopefully Deuce and the team are great by 2024 cause that's a cupcake schedule and we could make a run at the playoff. I guess that's assuming Deuce red-shirts a year.

2024 could be the easiest schedule ever assembled for Iowa. 2015 Iowa had to play ISU, Wisconsin, and a Nebraska team who still had a heartbeat all on the road. Also played a pretty decent Pitt team.

Its a long ways away. But man, expectation could be high that year.

Man, if I was a season ticket holder I would probably be a tad bit upset over that 2023 home schedule. Maybe Purdouche or Minnesota will be consistently good by then, but if not, ugh. What an awful slate of games. Has to be the worst in Iowa history.

Man, if I was a season ticket holder I would probably be a tad bit upset over that 2023 home schedule. Maybe Purdouche or Minnesota will be consistently good by then, but if not, ugh. What an awful slate of games. Has to be the worst in Iowa history.

Odd to see two seasons back to back that are such weak home schedules. In 2024, hardly worth showing up until late November!

Odd to see two seasons back to back that are such weak home schedules. In 2024, hardly worth showing up until late November!

You never know with ISU, but there is a good chance Troy will be the best team we play at home until 11/23. Troy usually has a pretty decent squad.

LOVE seeing Utah St. on the schedule.

And LOVE EVEN MORE that 24 schedule. That is the easiest schedule I have ever seen.

Given the current structure of college football there really isn't any reason for a power 5 school to play a difficult non-con schedule. Yes, it sucks for fans, but if I was a coach or AD I would try to get as many tomato cans on the schedule as I could. I am biased because I am not a season ticket holder so I am all for letting the ISU game be the "difficult" one on the non-con schedule.

Given the current structure of college football there really isn't any reason for a power 5 school to play a difficult non-con schedule. Yes, it sucks for fans, but if I was a coach or AD I would try to get as many tomato cans on the schedule as I could. I am biased because I am not a season ticket holder so I am all for letting the ISU game be the "difficult" one on the non-con schedule.

The P5 conferences need to mandate 10 games against the P5. Clemson, Iowa, ISU, ND and USC are pretty much the only teams who do that nearly every year. Clemson pretty much always plays an SEC team early and always ends the season with South Carolina, plus 8 conference games to get them to 10. Iowa plays 9 conference games plus the clowns and vice versa for the clowns. USC plays 9 conference games and ND. ND usually has 10 P5 games on its schedule. It really comes down to whether a team has 9 conference games and a non-con rival that it plays every year and those games have become pretty rare.

And it is easy for people to knock the in-state rivalry games when you are Clemson playing South Carolina or Iowa playing Iowa State, but the lesser teams make that in-state game their Super Bowl and prep for it immensely. The lesser team almost always plays up two levels in that game, so while it may seem easy on paper, it's always a battle on the field.

UGH!

I am so f---ing disappointed in the Iowa schedule makers. If Iowa was ever going to do a home and home series with another P5 team OOC, then 2024 was THE year to play that P5 away game.

Rutgers, MD and Indy the Big Ten cross-over teams. ISU in Iowa City.

2024 is the perfect season to play another P5 OOC in a away game. And instead they schedule Troy? I am sorry the schedule makers just flat out blew it.

Did Barta not learn anything after playing N. Dakota St? If you're going to schedule a cupcake, make sure its a cupcake you know you can beat. In 2018, Troy beat Nebraska. In 2017,Troy beat LSU. In 2016, Troy lost a one score game to Clemson. You have a lot more to lose than there is to gain playing a team like Troy.

Deuce Hogan leads Hawkeyes to natty in '24, leaves for NFL.

Brian Ferentz replaces father as Hawkeye head coach for '25.

With those schedules I wouldn't be surprised if we have a new coach by then. A new coach should be able to do pretty well with that slate. Wowsers.

I don’t care if we play The Little Sisters of the Poor before we take on the BT, and ISU. Watching Iowa roll (almost always) over a hapless opponent is really fun. And we typically get experience early for depth development.

Michigan State okay although not as fun since Darth Vader isn't there any longer.

Troy strikes me very much like NDSU, bad choice to fill out the schedule. They have a history of upsetting P5 teams and beating them gives you no bump. It's a lose-lose.

Bad choice.