Iowa AD responds to field hockey team's statement

http://btn.com/2014/08/20/gary-barta-responds-to-field-hockey-teams-statement/

The firing was the wrong decision for the program and reinstatement should have already been in place. I really do not like Barta and at times it really seems he doesn't care about the university's sports programs. His statement here doesn't even address what the team was writing him about.

if he didn't care about the field hockey team, he would do anything, right? he'd just cash football checks and move on with life. firing and hiring requires quite a bit of work and a lot of what we are seeing here.

as far as what is wrong or right about the program, it's hard to say from the outside looking in. i'm guessing there is far more to the story.

as far as what he puts out in public in a statement - a ceo is not going to give a detailed response in this fashion - i'm sure he gave a more detailed response directly to the team. i thought his public statement was adequate.

After reading GarBar's response to the players I get the feeling he is just hem hawing the ladies. I wonder if during the meeting with the players he even patted them on the head and said "there there".

if he didn't care about the field hockey team, he would do anything, right? he'd just cash football checks and move on with life. firing and hiring requires quite a bit of work and a lot of what we are seeing here.

as far as what is wrong or right about the program, it's hard to say from the outside looking in. i'm guessing there is far more to the story.

as far as what he puts out in public in a statement - a ceo is not going to give a detailed response in this fashion - i'm sure he gave a more detailed response directly to the team. i thought his public statement was adequate.

This is probably pretty close to the truth.

And, by the way, players often show support for their coach even when he/she is underperforming (not that I have a clue whether or not this coach was underperforming) or has other issues that necessitate serious consideration of removal. You see it in the NFL all the time.

The AD, in these types of circumstances, should consider player opinions, but player opinions should only be one factor of several that are relevant to the decision.

It seems to me that Barta just caved to the pressure of a handful of disgruntled former players. Griesbaum has been a miracle worker as far as on field performance is concerned. There is going to be attrition in any sport (just look at bball and football) but it's probably even more pronounced for Iowa Field Hockey as there is no high school system in the midwest and most recruits come from other parts of the country. The fact that Iowa was a contender in this sport is a miracle. I used the term 'was' because Barta just signed its death certificate.

This has been a PR nightmare for Barta ... Rightfully so ... Obviously don't know all the specifics but the timing of the dismisal was strange ... I am mostly curious about what exactly happened to make Barta pull the plug. From my understanding this coach was a pretty good coach ... Obviously we don't have the entire story ... And of course players (most times) will rally around their coach ... I think the vagueness of it all is not helping Barta's cause; but then again, I am sure for legal reasons he can't make too many public comments ...

It seems to me that Barta just caved to the pressure of a handful of disgruntled former players. Griesbaum has been a miracle worker as far as on field performance is concerned. There is going to be attrition in any sport (just look at bball and football) but it's probably even more pronounced for Iowa Field Hockey as there is no high school system in the midwest and most recruits come from other parts of the country. The fact that Iowa was a contender in this sport is a miracle. I used the term 'was' because Barta just signed its death certificate.

Are you familiar with the history that is Iowa Field Hockey?

Are you familiar with the history that is Iowa Field Hockey?

I am. Again, the fact that a school like Iowa was as successful as it has been is nothing short of a miracle. The the coaches were the reason for that. I don't think there is any way they can maintain that after this black eye. What respectable FH coach is going to want to work for Barta now?

And even the former Iowa coaches are saying this is a wrong move.

What would you expect Beglin to say? The head coach that was just released was an ***'t of hers.

Coaches stick up for coaches, players stick up for coaches.

Barta probably getting the budget ready for the whole 'pay for play' - that is being clamored for by some on this site - by starting the process of scuttling non-revenue sports. ;)

Latest posts