Iowa #9 in first CFB Playoff ranking

Notre Dame has played a pretty tough schedule at quick look so I dont begrudge their ranking.

But just relax about the poll and be nervous about playing indiana. If the hawks win saturday and especially do it well they will only solidify #9 or better.

Looks like reputation and style points are going to be a factor in the rankings. Considering this and factoring in Iowa's remaining strength of schedule it seems like any hope of rising in the rankings rests heavily on others losing. Even then I would guess several programs currently below us could surpass us if they have a stronger remaining schedule and continue to win.

Should Iowa ever go undefeated I'm not convinced that it would be a given that they would make the playoffs based on what I'm seeing from this committee. Long ways to have to climb at #9 if others ahead of us keep winning. Oh well, it's still going to be fun to see how this all plays out. Hope we can stay a part of the discussion.

Looks like reputation and style points are going to be a factor in the rankings. Considering this and factoring in Iowa's remaining strength of schedule it seems like any hope of rising in the rankings rests heavily on others losing. Even then I would guess several programs currently below us could surpass us if they have a stronger remaining schedule and continue to win.

Should Iowa ever go undefeated I'm not convinced that it would be a given that they would make the playoffs based on what I'm seeing from this committee. Long ways to have to climb at #9 if others ahead of us keep winning. Oh well, it's still going to be fun to see how this all plays out. Hope we can stay a part of the discussion.

Right. The ranking doesn't bother me. It's the one-loss teams in front of Iowa that bother me. Nice year for ND to skip Sparty and Michigan, traditionally two of their hardest games. Alabama to this point == Iowa with a loss. Florida got hosed. Ok. State got hosed. tOSU should be #1 until somebody beats them.

Change the name on the helmet to Wisconsin, you think Iowa wouldn't be top 4? How about Nebraska, same schedule? Name recognition matters more than merit. That's not football. That's professional wrestling.

Right. The ranking doesn't bother me. It's the one-loss teams in front of Iowa that bother me. Nice year for ND to skip Sparty and Michigan, traditionally two of their hardest games. Alabama to this point == Iowa with a loss. Florida got hosed. Ok. State got hosed.

>>tOSU should be #1 until somebody beats them.

>>Change the name on the helmet to Wisconsin, you think Iowa wouldn't be top 4? How about Nebraska, same schedule?
Name recognition matters more than merit. That's not football. That's professional wrestling.

Good point.

I do disagree on the tOSU angle. There's no more misused term and concept in sports than "Defending Champion".

There's no defending champion in football, basketball, baseball, wrestling, etc. There are "last year's champions". You're not defending anything... you were the Champ in 2014-15 season, that's yours forever. Everybody starts a 0-0 in a new season and you're no more Champ of the new season than any other team. Ranking them #1 in an opinion poll is one thing...but they're not "Defending Champs"

BOXING...has a defending Champion. It's an ongoing title. You're the Champ until somebody knocks you off.

This is bad - ND needs to lose again, and Alabama, or Iowa can't get in.

It's really simple folks.

iowa wins out and they'll be in. They don't and they won't.

its very nice when you control your own destiny and don't have to rely on others.

its very nice when you control your own destiny and don't have to rely on others.

So you think Iowa beats four crappy teams, beats OSU, and jumps who exactly? If the number 1 team going to finish undefeated and drop to 5th? Not a chance. Are they going to leave an SEC team out? Not a chance. Are they going to leave a 1 loss ND out after beating number 11 Stanford? Not a chance. The only possibility is they bounce an undefeated Big 12 team out, dissing them for the 2nd strait year. If they planned on doing that, Iowa would be ahead of Baylor and TCU right now. If the committee put Iowa behind them now with Iowa having by far the better schedule, why the hell would them jump them up at the end of the year when Iowa will have a worse schedule than any team who comes out of the Big 12 undefeated? We definitely need a little help.

No. Alabama would have beaten #2 and #10. ND would have beaten Stanford, and has 0 chances to lose. That would vault Alabama to #1, and a 1 loss LSU == a one loss Alabama at #4. An undefeated TCU OR Baylor goes to #3 to replace OSU with 1 loss, and Clemson goes to #2. ND stays at #5. Highest Iowa can get is #6.

If Bama loses to LSU, Clemson stays #2, LSU #1 (beat #4 and #10). Notre Dame gets #3 and TCU/Baylor #4. Highest Iowa can get is #5.

Iowa needs losses by three of the undefeated teams or one by both one-loss teams to get in. That's not going to happen.
No team ranked above Iowa is a lock to win out right now.

If Clemson beats FSU, they have the clearest path of all teams. But if Clemson loses, they won't win their division and could be on the outside looking in. Then FSU will wind up losing @Florida in a few weeks and the ACC might even be out of the playoff.

If Bama loses to LSU (and I think they will), they're out. They'll finish 3rd in the SEC West. LSU will then probably have a Florida rematch in the SEC title game - with the winner getting in.

TCU/Baylor/OSU/OU all play each other over the next 4 weeks. All of them are going to lose at least once. Teams losing recent games are much less likely to make the playoff. I can easily see the Big 12 getting left out again.

Notre Dame could easily lose to Stanford, who is by no means a lock to be the Pac-12 champ.

There is still a ton of football to be played.

ND wins out
LSU/FL/BAMA win out
Baylor/TCU/Ok/Ok St win out
Clemson wins out
=
Ia is out, even if undefeated

Could even project that if Stanford wins out, they would jump IA.

Don't agree with it, but it's just what seems likely (to me)

This is not true if the team who represents the east B1G division has a loss. Both Iowa and that team have to be undefeated when they play each other. Anything less and the Big Ten will not be represented in the playoff.

ND wins out
LSU/FL/BAMA win out
Clemson wins out
=

But but but, everyone is saying that an undefeated Big 10 team would never get left out.....

I think the scenario you've laid out is very plausible. NCAA would LOVE the chance to put ND in the playoffs.

ND wins out
LSU/FL/BAMA win out
Clemson wins out
=

Yes, Thank you. I was thinking this at work today and was going to make a thread about this. I think that is why I was so ****** off last night. The committee essentially said that Iowa has to hope for some other teams to stub their toes. It is understandable why they would put a one loss team ahead of an undefeated team that has had a terrible schedule. But that was clearly not the case on Tuesday.
I know it's unlikely that Iowa runs the table, but still. I would like to at least believe it's possible.

The committee said last night what they did last year, "let's put the teams in there that will generate the most revenue".
Was Ohio State the better team last year?
Yeah, absolutely, but do you really think that if it were Indiana or Rutgers that had the same schedule and results as Ohio; that they would have jumped TCU or Baylor last year? Would Ohio State have jumped TCU in a Oklahoma outfit?

As much as Iowa has done over the years, they will likely be overlooked for a sexier or more historic team than the Black and Gold.

*steps down from box of DAWN*

Here's a nice little summary piece of what lies ahead for the "contenders"........

Schedule breakdown

Here's a breakdown of the top contenders. For the purpose of calculating future games, league title game opponents were projected for each school. Those projected opponents are identified by an "x" in the listing. But there is no guarantee for these title games to take place.
RankRecord for
upcoming
opponents
League
title
game
Left
vs.
top 25
Games left
vs. current top 25
1Clemson (8-0)19-18 (.514)Yes117 - Florida St.
2LSU (7-0)29-10 (.743)Yes44 - Alabama
18 - Mississppi
19 - Texas A&M
10 - Florida (x)
3Ohio St. (8-0)28-10 (.737)Yes37 - Michigan St.
17 - Michigan
9 - Iowa (x)
4Alabama (7-1)22-7 (.759)Yes32 - LSU
20 - Mississippi St.
10 Florida (x)
5Notre Dame (7-1)15-15 (.500)No111 - Stanford
6Baylor (7-0)26-10 (.722)No315 - Oklahoma
14 Oklahoma St
8 - TCU
7Michigan St. (8-0)26-14 (.650)Yes23 - Ohio St.
9 - Iowa (x)
8TCU (8-0)20-8 (.714)No314 - Oklahoma St.
15 - Oklahoma
6 - Baylor
9Iowa (8-0)19-20 (.487)Yes13 - Ohio St. (x)
10Florida (7-1)20-18 (.526)Yes216 - Florida St.
2 - LSU (x)
11Stanford (7-1)25-13 (.658)Yes25 - Notre Dame
12 - Utah (x)
12Utah (7-1)23-16 (.590)Yes223 - UCLA
11 - Stanford (x)
13Memphis (8-0)27-9 (.750)Yes325 - Houston
22 - Temple
22 - Temple (x)
14Oklahoma St. (8-0)22-6 (.786)No38 - TCU
6 - Baylor
15 - Oklahoma
15Oklahoma (7-1)22-5 (.815)No36 - Baylor
8 - TCU
14 - Oklahoma St.
16Florida St. (7-1)23-5 (.821)Yes21 - Clemson
10 - Florida

Sources: cleveland.com/datacentral research, using rankings from the College Football Playoff selection committee, toughest schedule data from the NCAA and schedules compiled by Sports Reference LLC.

Latest posts