Iowa #9 in first CFB Playoff ranking

Feels right to me. But Rece Davis talking with authority about how the strength of schedule for Iowa has not been great, that it is one of the worst in the Power 5 conferences. Shoot, per their own graphics, Baylor's SOS is currently 109. Do you not have to know any facts (or is that a requirement, to know nothing) to be one of these talking heads?

The one guy claiming that Memphis should be ahead of Iowa with the argument basically being that they beat an SEC team was dumb as ****.

Thought the same thing. They Beat an overrated ole miss team and that's about it

Did you hear the comment the guy made in the background when others were talking. He said "That 10-6 win over Wisconsin was impressive." Of course he didnt say anything about the 40-10 win over #22 NW.

And Jeff Long saying Alabama was that far ahead of Florida because they had 3 wins over teams with better then 500 records compared to Floridas 2 wins. Doesnt Iowa have 3 wins over teams with better then 500 records? And is undefeated?

The one thing I hate about college football is the bias towards traditional powers. And that is in evidence with these rankings.

Did you hear the comment the guy made in the background when others were talking. He said "That 10-6 win over Wisconsin was impressive." Of course he didnt say anything about the 40-10 win over #22 NW.

And Jeff Long saying Alabama was that far ahead of Florida because they had 3 wins over teams with better then 500 records compared to Floridas 2 wins. Doesnt Iowa have 3 wins over teams with better then 500 records? And is undefeated?

The one thing I hate about college football is the bias towards traditional powers. And that is in evidence with these rankings.

If we had beat Wisconsin 50-46 it would then be considered impressive because only offense exists in football.

If we had beat Wisconsin 50-46 it would then be considered impressive because only offense exists in football.

This is what gets me. There is absolute mathematical evidence that these "great powerful offenses" do NOT win championships....yet these clowns on espn are trying to make Exactly that argument.

It's nuts.

1. Clemson
2. LSU
3. Ohio State
4. Alabama
5. Notre Dame
6. Baylor
7. Michigan State
8. TCU
9. IOWA
10. Florida

Notre Dame has ZERO business in the top 5. They have 1 loss and their only big games were against Clemson (Lost) and Temple (Won). The rest of their schedule is dreadful! They beat a 6-1 Navy team and a 5-3 USC team whose Head Coach was a drunk and got fired! The rest of their schedule is a bunch of 3-5 or 3-6 cellar dwellers. How are they possibly #5????
They have 3 wins over teams with winning records.
Here is ND's schedule with opponent's current W/L record.
Texas 3-5 - ND won 38-3 (gave up 3 more points than Clowns)
@Virginia 3-5 - ND won 34-27
GT 3-6 - ND won 30-22
UMASS - 1-7 ND won 62-27
@ Clemson 8-0 - ND LOST 24-22
Navy 6-1 - ND won 41-24
USC 5-3 - ND won 41-31
@ Temple 7-1 - ND won 24 -20
Iowa has beat 3 teams with winning records (4, if you include ILST)
PITT 6-2
Wisconsin 7-2
NW 6-2

This is what gets me. There is absolute mathematical evidence that these "great powerful offenses" do NOT win championships....yet these clowns on espn are trying to make Exactly that argument.

It's nuts.

And that's clearly what it is. Baylor, TCU. Memphis and Oklahoma were all spoken of very positively and they are all top 10 in scoring offense while our top 10 defense gets no credit and gets ridiculed for beating one of the best defenses in the country on their field. Ultimately the best teams are good at both and we don't have a great offense but those teams with great offenses aren't good at defense either but there is clearly a bias that says if you're really, really good at scoring you must be good.

Notre Dame is a head scratcher but what about Alabama's resume is better than ours? If they beat LSU I can buy an argument that puts them ahead of us but right now? No, that's SEC/Alabama bias as far as I'm concerned.

LSU & Ole Miss are the only two teams that control their own destiny in the SEC West. Ole Miss has Arkansas & LSU at home with a road game at Miss. State to end the season. If Ole Miss wins out, the Rebels will probably play Florida in the SEC Championship. Notre Dame still has to go to Pittsburgh & Stanford. After Championship Weekend, these rankings will be entirely different.

If we beat undefeated OSU we'd jump ND.

No. Alabama would have beaten #2 and #10. ND would have beaten Stanford, and has 0 chances to lose. That would vault Alabama to #1, and a 1 loss LSU == a one loss Alabama at #4. An undefeated TCU OR Baylor goes to #3 to replace OSU with 1 loss, and Clemson goes to #2. ND stays at #5. Highest Iowa can get is #6.

If Bama loses to LSU, Clemson stays #2, LSU #1 (beat #4 and #10). Notre Dame gets #3 and TCU/Baylor #4. Highest Iowa can get is #5.

Iowa needs losses by three of the undefeated teams or one by both one-loss teams to get in. That's not going to happen.

To me the fact that Baylor, TCU, Notre Dame and Ohio State are ahead of Iowa given their schedules to this point is just stupid. It is okay if they give Ohio State some love for being the reigning NC, but ND hasn't really played anyone aside from Clemson, which they lost. TCU had trouble hanging with Minnesota and Baylor hasn't played ANYONE. What gives? I do agree that Iowa should probably not be ranked higher than some of these teams in the next month, but up to this point, REALLY?

I think #9 for Iowa is about right as of now. We just have to keep winning. I loved the fact that neither Baylor or TCU made the top 4. Those two teams and their "high powered" offenses are the biggest loads of Bs I've seen. The love for Baylor is just ridiculous. Any team that wins games 90-85 is not a top 4
Team.

It's all about money and putting most of it in the SEC. What they are setting people up to do is to get people to accept that a one loss SEC team gets into the playoff over an undefeated team. They would prefer two or more in the four team playoff. Total garbage and corruption. These Bass Turds should be running for congress.

Feels right to me. But Rece Davis talking with authority about how the strength of schedule for Iowa has not been great, that it is one of the worst in the Power 5 conferences. Shoot, per their own graphics, Baylor's SOS is currently 109. Do you not have to know any facts (or is that a requirement, to know nothing) to be one of these talking heads?

ESPN has fallen in line with a lot of the non-sports media. Screw the facts... just stick with your talking points and enough people will buy it that you'll get away with it.

BTW, now would be the time to turn off ESPN. You're not going to get any meaningful info from that pile of talking idiots.

I quit watching their talking head shows and sportscenter 10 years ago. When sportscenter is showing NBA pre-season 5 times more than college football even it is time to eject.

Latest posts