Iowa #8 on College Football Live

ESPN's College Football Live released their preseason top 25 on today's show and they had Iowa at #8. They mentioned the Arizona game and that the rest of the tough games are at home. It was only about 15 seconds or so. Later they had a 3-4 minutes segment on Notre Dame, who wasn't even in their top 25. Overall there wasn't much of interest, but I know some people like to see the early rankings.

My problem with this is, remember the last time iowa had this much hype and respect going into a season? After the 2004 season. we all know what happened the next 3 seasons. I love the fact that iowa gets some notice, but love it more when they play with a chip on their shoulder, with something to prove.

They still have many, many reasons to play with a chip on their shoulder in 2010, even if they're ranked in the top ten.

Eastern Illinois: Remember how bad we looked against a 1AA team last year?

Iowa State: Usually give us their best shot. Last two times we lost to them (05,07) it was both a signal and a catalyst for a very disappointing season. Last time they beat us in Kinnick (02) they were the lone blemish on an 11-1 regular season record. We expect to be as good if not better than the 02 team, but a scrappy little Clown team with some reasons for hope (Seneca Wallace then, Robinson and Arnaud now) came to Kinnick and shocked us.

You get the point. I'm sure the coaches will be focused on keeping the kids' heads out of the clouds of preseason expectations, and they'll have lots of examples to point to from our own recent experiences. So I am hopeful that we can do well "above the radar" this year.

Arizona game concerns me. Iowa doesn't typically do well in OOC Road games early in the year. We have a pretty balanced team this year on paper, but another trend is slow developing OL....so could be a defensive battle down there and go either way.....even though i think Iowa is a much better team.

Arizona game concerns me. Iowa doesn't typically do well in OOC Road games early in the year. We have a pretty balanced team this year on paper, but another trend is slow developing OL....so could be a defensive battle down there and go either way.....even though i think Iowa is a much better team.

I think we'll be okay. I'm not overlooking that game, but I think that practicing against the best DL in the nation will whip the OL into shape pretty quickly.

I think #8 is about right. There aren't that many teams better than us. Breakdown by conference of teams that could be ahead of us:

Big 12: Oklahoma, Texas

Plus Boise State, and probably TCU. So where I sit, The worst they would start is #10, the most optimistic would be #6. So the safe bet is that we will be ahead of Miami and Oregon, which would put us at #8.
I hate to say this but Nebraska is going to be decent in the Big 12 and will probably easily win the north division which will put them in the finals and possibly in a BCS game.

I hate to say this but Nebraska is going to be decent in the Big 12 and will probably easily win the north division which will put them in the finals and possibly in a BCS game.

When was the last time that winning the Big 12 North said anything to national pollsters? I think they'll be pretty good, but they aren't going to get that kind of respect from the voters just by winning the North. They're going to have to beat Texas or OU for that. And they won't be doing that before the preseason polls come out.

When was the last time that winning the Big 12 North said anything to national pollsters? I think they'll be pretty good, but they aren't going to get that kind of respect from the voters just by winning the North. They're going to have to beat Texas or OU for that. And they won't be doing that before the preseason polls come out.
There are several polls they are nipping right at our tails. Nebraska always gets treated well by the pollsters. I agree winning the big 12 north isn't huge but it gives them a chance to win one game and automatically qualify for the BCS. I bet Nebraska is in most top 10's or top 15's preseason...guarantee it.

There are several polls they are nipping right at our tails. Nebraska always gets treated well by the pollsters. I agree winning the big 12 north isn't huge but it gives them a chance to win one game and automatically qualify for the BCS. I bet Nebraska is in most top 10's or top 15's preseason...guarantee it.

Top 15 for sure, but like I said, I don't think they get enough love to jump us until they knock off Texas or OU. Good, solid team, but they won't get THAT much preseason love.

Latest posts