Iowa 7th in B1G in 2011

This is sickening. If this were my beliefs, there would be nothing else to cheer for. Does anyone else feel this way? Then again if he has this kind of though process because Iowa continues to let us down on the big stage, I can understand it.

Not me. I continue to believe that good things can and will happen at Iowa. We're a team that usually hangs around the brink of getting that big push. I think there will come a time when that finally does happen. Look at Oregon and even Auburn, they were in the same boat. For years they hung right around the cusp of being great and then they finally go the push over the edge.

I for one do not care for this love affair with being "under the radar". To me, it implies that Iowa cannot live up to expectations, or cannot handle having the bullseye on their back.

I would prefer to have high expectations every year, and periodically fail to meet them, versus settling for lower expectations and periodically exceeding them.

I for one do not care for this love affair with being "under the radar". To me, it implies that Iowa cannot live up to expectations, or cannot handle having the bullseye on their back.

I would prefer to have high expectations every year, and periodically fail to meet them, versus settling for lower expectations and periodically exceeding them.

Good call.

And beating #12 Missouri? And being the only Big Ten team to win their bowl game? (tOSU didn't win in my mind, Arkansas lost and tOSU flagrantly violated suspension standard practice).
Just saying, we played better a better opponent than Michigan, Penn State, Illinois, Northwestern and actually won.

Illinois won, and they did it by a large margin. Now, I don't think they're good, but just wanted to clarify that Iowa wasn't the only team to win a bowl game. And yes OSU won. That's the way the NCAA ruled. If you go by those rules I would say Auburn didn't win either because I don't really believe that Cam had no idea about the money.

If three straight bowl winning seasons over formidable rivals is seen as a major disappointment, there will not be a whole lot to look forward to. While this season was admittedly below expectations, the two preceding years were not. The chances of us securing the talent necessary to win a national championship in a state as low on Division I talent as Iowa, is negligible. I just want that long elusive shot at the Rose Bowl which will be hard enough to attain.

Here is why I am high on Northwestern and Penn State. Northwestern will return basically the entire offense including lineman, plus very good depth; They return all of their key receivers plus two talented freshman that will see more time; three options at tailback and likely Adonis Smith will seize that job, and Dan Persa should recover and is a master in that offense. On defense they return 3 starters on the d-line including two difference makers in Browne and DiNardo; They do lose two LBs but have recruited well at that position and are very well coached; 7 of 8 of their secondary that received playing time are coming back including three starters. Honestly their special teams will likely improve with the loss of Demos.

Penn State will have a spirited QB competition between McGloin, Bolden and Paul Jones; very talented backfield in Cyrus Redd and Stephfon Green; young but talent at the TE and FB position; possibly the most talented receiving corps in the Big Ten- Moye, Smith, Brown and Powell all return; four players that started games on the o-line( this is a weakness for them though); 3 of 4 DEs and 2 talented DTs; tons of talent at the LB position and very good speed here as well- Khari Fortt was the best linebacker imo and was a freshman that battled injuries all season; and three starters in the secondary plus depth at all four spots.

Penn State does deserve to be mentioned near the top and played Florida close in a bowl game despite bad QB play from a talented but green player. They have depth Iowa can only dream of and because of the injuries they suffered on the defensive side of the ball that unit should only improve from last season.

Latest posts