Iowa +3.5 Who ya got?

Consider this point. The Big 12 is overrated. The best team in the league, Oklahoma, won 40-35 against Tulane. Tulane, a sister of the poor. Top 10 ISU wins 16-10 against FCS, second cousin, UNI.

I think Iowa plowing through 7 straight Big Ten opponents speaks volumes. They would have destroyed Michigan had they played them as well.

Sure, we have seen this movie before. The clowns struggle or lose to UNI and come out next week and look like the 85 Bears against us.

I'm sure they were probably holding back some plays for us. I'm sure they will be more jacked to play us like they always do.

But, they are not playing a mediocre Iowa next week. A good Iowa team is coming to Big Top. I think Iowa St is going to have to show much more in all 3 phases (at least 2) if they are going to win on Saturday.

If they can't spin straw into gold out of the few trick plays I'm sure they will throw at us, then can they play us toe to toe for all 4 quarters. I'm not so sure.

I will say a close game because of a probable yippe Petras, but this could very well be a double digit Iowa win if what we saw in week 1 is representative of both teams more or less.

Keys to them Game:
Turnovers
Limit Big Plays

Iowa 24
Clowns 17

Some Idiot on one of the sports lines on TV said to give 38+ points because Oklahoma
Would Cover, guaranteed. He went on and on about it.....

I tend to generally agree with you: despite ISU having more pre-season All Americans than Alabama, the Cyclone talent across the board does not overwhelm, nor apparently did it intimidate UNI. I doubt that Iowa will gain more than 150 on the ground; which means the game will probably be decided by Petras. Problem is, as you say, ISU plays in a pass-first conference and Iowa's pass offense will probably be the least creative scheme they see all season. I sincerely hope Petras makes me eat my words.

A lot of doubters were telling us that in 2017 ISU had all the cards in it's favor. Stanley had no business being the starter and he couldn't lead us to a win. Guess what? He did. I would posit that Petras is farther along at this point in his career than Stanley was. He's definitely more mobile, IMHO. I don't think it will be easy, but I think we come out of there with a win.

History hasn’t been real kind to Kirk when the game has serious implications on winning it.

Hopefully we get this monkey off of our backs against the Cyclones.

This game is super huge for ISU. They need this win to shine some light on their program for any future hopes of being picked to be a part of a super conference some where.

Should ISU lose their head coach to a bigger program it would be a death sentence to their program. Keeping him in Ames is their only hope.

If ISU wins then all bets are off the table. Illinois & Northwestern, Purdue & Indiana, Michigan & Michigan State…………..

I know they don’t have a lot of history to support their worthiness but what the hell does Rutgers have???

It's a fool's errand to even think about predicting this game.

ISU gets up for this one and plays a completely different style of football during the Iowa game. Matt Dumbbell hates Ferentz and he hates Iowa, so he pulls out all the stops.

It doesn't mean shit how good our team is or how good their team is or what style of offense or defense we play. This game is a backyard donnybrook and it's always unpredictable as to the outcome.

One thing I do know is this...

One of two things is going to happen after the ISU game. If we win, this board is going to be full of threads talking about winning a natty, and if we lose everyone here will be having mental breakdowns bout how this is the worst team they've ever seen set foot on a field and how by losing they just squandered every glimmer of hope for a good season. There's no in between.

Which is why I hate this fucking game. It's win/win for ISU and lose/lose for us. It's fucking stupid, and I for one will be glad to see it go when the Little 12 finally runs out of money and disbands.

ISU fans and their overrated team can eat shit.

View attachment 8008

I have a bit of a different take on this one. They play in a league that is basically pass first, run 2nd, and defense at times is optional. I think our style of play is something that really gives them problems. We are willing to grind it out, take our pops downfield when it is open and play solid bend but don't break defense. As for the lines, I am not so ready to just throw in the towel. I believe we are deeper on both sides of the ball. Their line is designed differently than ours, big plays, hit Hall now and again, BIG PLAYS. Their defense is designed to stop the pass happy offenses of the Big 12...grinding offenses that come at them relentlessly are not a normal preparation. So I don't think the gaps on the lines, talent-wise are that big if any.

Another thing in our favor is the weight of the world is on ISU. Gameday all week long, Super Bowl atmosphere, Campbell has yet to beat us, we have a chip on our shoulder with nothing to lose and everything to gain. Don't think for one minute that Kirk has not put this game in RED letters...he knows in order to lock up our borders (or the majority) of kids we need to win. Playing from the favorite is tough, you are tight, you put a little extra zip on balls, you hit the hole a little too quick, you rush past your assignment, and all of a sudden you give up some plays. So I believe Kirk is extremely happy they get to deal with Gameday ALL WEEK.

Also I really feel that Kirk has a bit of a swagger about him recently. He seems to enjoy rubbing things in guys faces, time outs at Minnesota, going for it on 4th down, jabs at coaches in pressers, HE WANTS THIS ONE. Kirk loves the woe is me, we just hope to compete and stay close. I think he is the master at selling this to his guys.

I was at the game Saturday and I firmly believe, having coached HS football for a long time. We were vanilla, very few FB plays on 1st down, very basic plays, not really any shots downfield, I believe we see a different offense on Saturday. Also I am telling you after seeing Iowa teams for 38 years...this defense is SPECIAL. We have the back 7 to contain a pass happy team like ISU, we can pressure (even if lightly) Purdy. Our back guys seem to no longer set back and read, they anticipate and make plays.

The last thing is our punter. I sat at the game in my seat hour and a half early and watched him kick. The kid is amazing...the way he can get the ball to back spin...simply unheard of. He has a power leg, and has that ability to drop it on a dime. He can flip the field every time we need him too. It really deflates an offense when they think, "we are going to get good position here", then he drops a bomb on them and they are inside their 20 or even 10.

Color me a kool-aide drinker but this team is special. I think chemistry is good, I think leadership is amazing, we have speed, solid coaching and swagger coming off last years success. Is Petras a concern??? Yes, but I think he has improved, his receivers dropped 4 balls on Saturday that would of been 30+ yard gains, and he skipped a curve ball on the turf that would of been a touchdown. He will come through with some big plays on Saturday. I also look for a couple big gains by either Johnson or Bruce. I am however a realist and know this is their Super Bowl, but weight of the world, a couple TO's, and solid D from Iowa let's us walk away with 23 to 21 victory. Go ahead and shoot holes...but I think we got this.

I think there is a lot wrong with this post, no offense.

ISU isn't a pass happy team. Last year ISU QB's threw 372 passes, and there were 446 rushing attempts, so they basically ran 54.5% of the time. Iowa ran it 53.7% of the time last year.

The Big 12 really isn't as pass focused as it has been. There are way more good running backs than QB's and the style of play reflects it. There really aren't any air raid offenses left. KSU, ISU, Texas, WVU, BU, OSU, and TCU really are run first teams and have been for a few years.

Exactly, unless you are one of those that thinks Iowa could be a playoff team then this game really doesn't mean anything. Although if Iowa was to win this game those types of mentions could start happening. But if we are being honest with ourselves this game is all about bragging rights, nothing more.

Yeah, it's certainly more interesting when both teams are good and the games have been very good college football games the last few years which has been a lot of fun.

But ultimately I don't think either team will be competing for the playoff so it doesn't have big implications either way.

ISU gets up for this one and plays a completely different style of football during the Iowa game. Matt Dumbbell hates Ferentz and he hates Iowa, so he pulls out all the stops.

It doesn't mean shit how good our team is or how good their team is or what style of offense or defense we play. This game is a backyard donnybrook and it's always unpredictable as to the outcome.

One of two things is going to happen after the ISU game. If we win, this board is going to be full of threads talking about winning a natty, and if we lose everyone here will be having mental breakdowns bout how this is the worst team they've ever seen set foot on a field and how by losing they just squandered every glimmer of hope for a good season. There's no in between.

Which is why I hate this fucking game. It's win/win for ISU and lose/lose for us. It's fucking stupid, and I for one will be glad to see it go when the Little 12 finally runs out of money and disbands.

Could not agree more on your statement that this game is a no win for Iowa. We win and Iowa fans shrug and move on. We lose and it does nothing for us since we expect to win.

Again, the bolded part is what I'm hoping. If the Oklahoma and Iowa St scores are any indication of true reality of the level play at the top of the Big 12, I like our chances in this one. But, like you said, in so many words, they cum in their pants for this game every year to try to beat Iowa.

Really depends on what team(s) show up. Hopefully the clowns are shooting blanks well into the 4th quarter.

I think we lose this one big. It's pretty clear we are weak at WR and if you can't throw it deep a few times a game and stretch the defense, you are toast. We barely beat UNI in 2009 and had a great team. I read absolutely nothing into that game.

The only way we win this game is if ISU went into fat cat mode and was busy reading press clippings rather than working out.

While I generally agree that this series has been an "only down-side for Iowa" game, you can't in good faith say that this year. If Iowa wins this game it will be firmly in the Top 10 and the national spotlight for at least a month. Frankly, if Iowa wins we all need to become the biggest Iowa State fans on the planet, because them staying nationally relevant will make this a huge win on our resume for rankings, bowl bids, and any sort of consideration for playoffs (which is silly to even be discussing right now, I know).

I think we lose this one big. It's pretty clear we are weak at WR and if you can't throw it deep a few times a game and stretch the defense, you are toast. We barely beat UNI in 2009 and had a great team. I read absolutely nothing into that game.

The only way we win this game is if ISU went into fat cat mode and was busy reading press clippings rather than working out.
That was a pathetic offensive showing against Indiana and all I can say is Indiana’s defense at the end the season better be among the top defensive teams in the conference or everything you just posted is true.

I also totally agree with what Fry posted on how this game is a lose lose for Iowa every season. . Win, and everyone says we were suppose to win, lose and our stock prices crash.

Let’s drop them and schedule someone a little tougher like the Domers. Either your good enough to play with the big boys or your not.

If we beat them after their pathetic showing last Saturday everyone will discredit the win and ISU likely falls out of the top twenty-five. If we lose guess who is going to get discredited?

That was a pathetic offensive showing against Indiana and all I can say is Indiana’s defense at the end the season better be among the top defensive teams in the conference or everything you just posted is true.

I also totally agree with what Fry posted on how this game is a lose lose for Iowa every season. . Win, and everyone says we were suppose to win, lose and our stock prices crash.

Let’s drop them and schedule someone a little tougher like the Domers. Either your good enough to play with the big boys or your not.

If we beat them after their pathetic showing last Saturday everyone will discredit the win and ISU likely falls out of the top twenty-five. If we lose guess who is going to get discredited?

Last year didn't matter. The entire East folded like a cheap suit and Indiana was just in the right place at the right time.

Perfectly stated, see ya later Lil brother

In the words of the great Maury White, A little bit about a lot of things:
-Iowa defense is elite. The Linebackers are outstanding. Do not doubt Phil Parker.
-Purdy will be uncomfortable all day. (See above). If he is behind late in the game he will press and make some mistakes. He knows if they lose they will drop from the rankings and they desperately need to remain relevant with this best team EVER. 2 picks, 1 fumble.
-Iowa does fundamentals very well. Few penalties, lines will lean on their opponents the whole game with the dividends coming thru in the 4th quarter.
-Hall is a very good back who we recruited hard. He will run the ball 25 times for 100 yards. 1 TD
-Goodson is a very good back. He will run the ball 25 times for 120 yards. 1 TD
-The Indiana game was over at half. There was no way they were coming back (See above) from down 31-3. The second half was a controlled scrimmage and KF was milking the clock for the whole second half. Didnt want to show much, get some young players some reps, come out of it injury free.
-The streak of holding opponents under 25 points marches on. The pressure increases late in the game on ISU and turnovers and penalties are the result. Hawks grind it out.
Hawks 24- Ronald McDonald 13.
That is all

I usually agree with this, this year it’s different as ISU is favored to win this game. It’s different this year as there are people outside of Lames that even believe this Clown team is good.

The stock price will fall if Iowa losses this game but only an appropriate amount after losing to a ranked opponent on the road. If Iowa wins this game you will start hearing Iowa is the best in the West.

Yeah, it's certainly more interesting when both teams are good and the games have been very good college football games the last few years which has been a lot of fun.

But ultimately I don't think either team will be competing for the playoff so it doesn't have big implications either way.
If Iowa comes out of this 2 - 0, they'll be positioned well in the top 10 for at PSU game at 4 - 0, most likely.

Winning Indiana top 25, at ISU top 10, and at PSU top 10 would likely be the best resume in college football at that time, and keeps Iowa in the driver's seat for the West. They have to go to Wisconsin for a top 25 opponent as well.

If Iowa goes to Indy undefeated, with this schedule, even if they lose the Big Ten championship to OSU, as long as it's not a blowout, Iowa has a shot at the playoffs. That's a lot of ifs, though.

I have a hard time thinking that Iowa will win three top 25 road games. Kirk's style just doesn't have that kind of breathing room.

That said, I thought 8-4 before the season, and Iowa just won one of the games I pegged as a loss. Win Saturday, and Iowa is on pace for 10 - 2.

Latest posts