Iowa #2 AP

At least they get a first place vote in the coaches.

So based on all the respect both the coaches and the writers give Alabama they will still get into the playoffs even if Georgia beats them.
No question. At this point the only way the SEC doesn't get two teams in is if Oklahoma and Cincinnati go undefeated. If the playoffs were today my ballot would be 1. Georgia vs 4. Alabama and 2. Iowa vs 3. Cincinnati. Alabama would beat Oklahoma by 5+ touchdowns.

Horse shit on Bama being ranked above Ohio State. The team that beat Bama wasn’t ranked and still isn’t a top twenty team. The team that beat Ohio State is NOW ranked #9.

Total corruption and bias. The sports writers are hell bent in setting it up for Alabama. I was thinking more like #9 or #10 since Tex A&M wasn’t ranked.

BS like this only supports the 16 game playoff. Total bias BS.

Horse shit on Bama being ranked above Ohio State. The team that beat Bama wasn’t ranked and still isn’t a top twenty team. The team that beat Ohio State is NOW ranked #9.

Total corruption and bias. The sports writers are hell bent in setting it up for Alabama. I was thinking more like #9 or #10 since Tex A&M wasn’t ranked.

Meh, you're putting way too much credit in the polls. Oregon isn't a great football team. Both teams had close losses to good but not great squads. Both teams are more vulnerable than they have been in recent memory.

Meh, you're putting way too much credit in the polls. Oregon isn't a great football team. Both teams had close losses to good but not great squads. Both teams are more vulnerable than they have been in recent memory.

But neither is TAMU and I think that’s his main point, they were coming off a 2 game losing streak and one was at home against Miss St. I felt Alabama should have dropped more than they did, we are getting to a point where resumes should matter.

But neither is TAMU and I think that’s his main point, they were coming off a 2 game losing streak and one was at home against Miss St. I felt Alabama should have dropped more than they did, we are getting to a point where resumes should matter.
You're right, they should. Alabama has a ten year resume of excellence and while they don't look like a world beater they lost a close conference game on the road. I am not going to quibble with 1 -> 5 versus 1 -> 6 or 7. I genuinely have a bigger issue with Oklahoma in the top 5. I don't have an issue Alabama being ahead of OSU for now. Bama lost to a debatably worse team on the road, OSU at home. I'd probably drop Oklahoma to 8 and shift 4-7 up one slot, if I had a ballot.

Eight teams is enough, it is a long year for these young men. A 16 team playoff would be like adding 3 to 4 bowl games in a row to the teams that keep winning. And I want to know who the champ is before the third week of January or 1st of Feb.

Ranking by a dumb guy…

1. Georgia
2. Ohio State
3. Alabama
4. Iowa
5. Cincinnati
6. Penn State
7. Clemson
8. Oklahoma
9. Oregon
10. A bunch of others like Michigan St., The fainting Irish, Iowa St., some SEC pretender, or a couple of teams south of the mason/Dixon line or who cares.

Eight teams is enough, it is a long year for these young men. A 16 team playoff would be like adding 3 to 4 bowl games in a row to the teams that keep winning. And I want to know who the champ is before the third week of January or 1st of Feb.
Eight would definitely be better. Four is just a popularity contest.

So you're saying that a true playoff bracket for FBS is too much for these young men? What about the FCS who play a 24 team bracket to a champion (usually about the same time as the FBS National Championship game)? Or how about the 28 teams in the Division II football bracket? Or the 32 Division III teams in the football bracket? And I haven't even mentioned NAIA. Is it too much for those young men? Remember that the academic eligibility requirements and drug testing mandates are the same for ALL levels of NCAA sports, not just FBS.

On a side note, I hope to attend the Stagg Bowl (Division III National Championship) if my brother-in-law's team, Central, qualifies. At the pace they are going now, Central may go undefeated; so far each game has been a bench-clearing blowout.

Eight would definitely be better. Four is just a popularity contest.
I am the same way.

Phil Steele did a really nice essay form argument for a 4 team playoff back in the aughties.

It was well done and compelling...

...and also based upon the, unfortunately, false premise that the powers that be are motivated by the desire to put the best 4 teams into the playoff field.

Placing the 4 best teams into the playoff field is *a* motivation but not *the* motivation.

There are, unfortunately, other motivations and considerations that play in. It's the, "how many losses does Notre Dame have?" factor. Whether it's Notre Dame or some other name brand team that particular season, stupid shit will play out. Maybe not *every* year, but *many* years.

So, yeah, expand it to eight, I say. That allows the spineless committee to let in Notre Dame and whatever deserving team they would have fucked over for Notre Dame's benefit if it was still only a 4 team field.

I hate the dumb arguments "Alabama would be favored against Iowa by 13."

F that. Everyone plays the games that are scheduled. We don't play hypothetical games. We have beaten three teams that were ranked when we played them and have otherwise taken care of business. Bama lost to an unranked team. Nick Saban deserves the respect he gets, but Iowa deserves to be ranked 2nd.

If anything, Bama should be ranked behind Penn State. It has just as good of wins as Bama and has a much better loss.

So you're saying that a true playoff bracket for FBS is too much for these young men? What about the FCS who play a 24 team bracket to a champion (usually about the same time as the FBS National Championship game)? Or how about the 28 teams in the Division II football bracket? Or the 32 Division III teams in the football bracket? And I haven't even mentioned NAIA. Is it too much for those young men? Remember that the academic eligibility requirements and drug testing mandates are the same for ALL levels of NCAA sports, not just FBS.

On a side note, I hope to attend the Stagg Bowl (Division III National Championship) if my brother-in-law's team, Central, qualifies. At the pace they are going now, Central may go undefeated; so far each game has been a bench-clearing blowout.

Well first of all Univ of Northern Iowa UNI plays one less regular season game, only 11. The Missouri Valley Conf does not have divisions or a championship game that I can see so that is another game less that their conference champ plays compared to P5 and other FBS major colleges.

So Bama plays 13 games and two more in the CFPlayoffs which adds up to 15 games to win that title. If as I said the FBS power confs go to an 8 team playoff then that would be 16 games for the finalists.

The 24 team playoff for Div 1/FCS has byes for the top teams so the top two would play 3-4 games to get to the title game and more times than not only 3 and then the title game for 4 or 5 games. So most times the FCS champion also plays only 15 games, or the same amount as FBS finalists.

And I dont know, just guessing, that the top FBS teams overall have a bit bigger and faster players creating much more hefty collisions overall than FCS or Div 1 and 2 teams.

F that. Everyone plays the games that are scheduled. We don't play hypothetical games. We have beaten three teams that were ranked when we played them and have otherwise taken care of business. Bama lost to an unranked team. Nick Saban deserves the respect he gets, but Iowa deserves to be ranked 2nd.

If anything, Bama should be ranked behind Penn State. It has just as good of wins as Bama and has a much better loss.

I really thought Bama would just go down 1 notch to #2 because TA&M was ranked early and they have a ton of great athletes but under performed in their 2 losses. And Bama on the road in front of 105,000 people.

As I said, to me it is laughable to rank OU ahead of Bama. OU cant stop a baby stroller rolling down a very slight sloped sidewalk.

Ranking by a dumb guy…

1. Georgia
2. Ohio State
3. Alabama
4. Iowa
5. Cincinnati
6. Penn State
7. Clemson
8. Oklahoma
9. Oregon
10. A bunch of others like Michigan St., The fainting Irish, Iowa St., some SEC pretender, or a couple of teams south of the mason/Dixon line or who cares.
That is not a badly ordered list.

I mean, Sagarin has Bama as < 10 point favorites, and Vegas is usually about half the Sagarin rating difference, so there's that.

Latest posts