Interesting to look back at these comments from January

SwirlinLingerie

We don't get a lot of views into the dynamics within the football staff and the AD. But David Porter did, at least to an extent, and came away with a pretty strong point of view on Brian (and others). We are all pretty focused on the on-field results, partly because we can't go off much else. Interesting to look at these comments again regarding off the field relationships and how they might relate to on the field results.

Porter wrote to the rest of the advisory group that it was time to "bring in a new head football coach, football staff, and athletic director."

"He is loyal to a fault and will fall on the sword for his son and his staff because he thinks it's the right thing to do. I disagree. The only way I see to save his legacy, protect the program, help those kids, and continue to move forward at the same time is for Kirk to retire."

I believe Kirk will step away if Iowa fails to win 7 games. He's not going to stick around to be .500 his last few seasons.

I believe Kirk will step away if Iowa fails to win 7 games. He's not going to stick around to be .500 his last few seasons.
Then it's this year. I see a W @ NW. I don't see 3 more among these games. Nebraska, Wisconsin, Purdue, Minnesota.

Between '03 and '17 I had season tickets at Iowa or Northwestern every year and I've done plenty of road games. I've seen every Big Ten star of the past 2 decades with the exception of the past couple seasons. The performance I saw out of our offense on Saturday night was on par with those absolute shit Illinois teams early in Ron Zook's tenure. For shits and giggles I looked at Illinois in that period and even when they went 0-8 in conference with Brasic at QB Brasic threw 11 TDs (granted they had Pierre Thomas and Rashard Mendenhall on the roster). Even in the dismal years before that Beutjer tossed for 8 TDs in 8 games. It will take a lot for Iowa to get to 8 passing TDs on the year.

Just because I am throwing out QB stats doesn't mean I'm pinning this on Spencer because that was a team effort, but that may have been the worst quarterback play I've seen live and in person since those awful Illinois teams back in like 2004 or 2005. When he's out there tossing the kid looks like he has good arm talent, but he's just completely destroyed as a person and doesn't have shit to work with out there except ol' number 84.

Anyway, point is it is gonna take a helluva turnaround to get 7 wins. We can do it, but I think 4-8 or 5-7 is waaaaaay more likely than 7-5. And with the way the world works now with this portal I think we have to rip the band aid off pretty soon because even if we somehow managed to get to 7-5 on the back of the defense and a bunch of 9-6 wins I believe that the offense is absolutely irreparably destroyed. No one good will go to Iowa and guys will flee for the portal if we don't have an immediate turnaround.

I ain't gonna lie that I got a little emotional at the game but I wasn't pissed. I was more sad because it felt like the end of an era to me. If you're at the game and watching the whole field from up high it is honestly a historically awful offense that you're looking at.

I recall the 1999 Iowa team with Kyle McCann being the absolute worst I can remember. This might be comparable to that. I remember they really couldn't even complete a pass and a bunch of 3 and outs. That team went 1-10, 0-8 in the conference. I think McCann had a 44% completion rate. It was brutal.

Between '03 and '17 I had season tickets at Iowa or Northwestern every year and I've done plenty of road games. I've seen every Big Ten star of the past 2 decades with the exception of the past couple seasons. The performance I saw out of our offense on Saturday night was on par with those absolute shit Illinois teams early in Ron Zook's tenure. For shits and giggles I looked at Illinois in that period and even when they went 0-8 in conference with Brasic at QB Brasic threw 11 TDs (granted they had Pierre Thomas and Rashard Mendenhall on the roster). Even in the dismal years before that Beutjer tossed for 8 TDs in 8 games. It will take a lot for Iowa to get to 8 passing TDs on the year.

Just because I am throwing out QB stats doesn't mean I'm pinning this on Spencer because that was a team effort, but that may have been the worst quarterback play I've seen live and in person since those awful Illinois teams back in like 2004 or 2005. When he's out there tossing the kid looks like he has good arm talent, but he's just completely destroyed as a person and doesn't have shit to work with out there except ol' number 84.

Anyway, point is it is gonna take a helluva turnaround to get 7 wins. We can do it, but I think 4-8 or 5-7 is waaaaaay more likely than 7-5. And with the way the world works now with this portal I think we have to rip the band aid off pretty soon because even if we somehow managed to get to 7-5 on the back of the defense and a bunch of 9-6 wins I believe that the offense is absolutely irreparably destroyed. No one good will go to Iowa and guys will flee for the portal if we don't have an immediate turnaround.

I ain't gonna lie that I got a little emotional at the game but I wasn't pissed. I was more sad because it felt like the end of an era to me. If you're at the game and watching the whole field from up high it is honestly a historically awful offense that you're looking at.
I agree... We could see that NJ qb recruit start looking around. You don't think programs are all up in his ear already saying all the obvious things? Along with kids we already have as you mentioned. Most seem to be saying all the right things so far but man that changes once season ends and they reassess everything. Kids don't want to be a part of a sinking ship and they definitely don't want to be on one that's boring and historically bad.

Also in regards to kids reassessing things. In todays college football now more then ever every kid damn near does that after every season anyway. They are all basically FAs with how the portal and transfer rules are anyway. So how fast could things crater at Iowa? Well we are pretty much watching it in real time do it so yeah once that snow ball starts rolling it's tough to stop

I feel every word of your last paragraph. Every word of it. I'm sad apathetic and at times pissed off I kinda rotate those feelings. How's this whole story going to end? Feels like a nasty ass ship wreck at the bottom of the ocean is possible.

Last edited:

Illinois' offense was never this bad. No way. Turner was a good guy. Really was.

I recall the 1999 Iowa team with Kyle McCann being the absolute worst I can remember. This might be comparable to that. I remember they really couldn't even complete a pass and a bunch of 3 and outs. That team went 1-10, 0-8 in the conference. I think McCann had a 44% completion rate. It was brutal.
I do not believe the cupboard is in as poor condition as it was by '98 and '99, but with the portal it could be by the time we kick the opening ball of 2023. Maybe the Captain can pull a miracle with this bye week. I know we only lost that game 9-6, but if the QB doesn't go down for Illinois we lose by 2 scores for sure.

I do not believe the cupboard is in as poor condition as it was by '98 and '99, but with the portal it could be by the time we kick the opening ball of 2023. Maybe the Captain can pull a miracle with this bye week. I know we only lost that game 9-6, but if the QB doesn't go down for Illinois we lose by 2 scores for sure.
We've been through this a million times. HFs last 2 classes were good. What happened was a new and pretty green head coach.

The era ended some time ago. 2016's success was a qb willing to sacrifice everything. Hawks weren't that good. Pretty midland except for what CJ did. What we see is a natural progression.

I feel every word of your last paragraph. Every word of it. I'm sad apathetic and at times pissed off I kinda rotate those feelings. How's this whole story going to end? Feels like a nasty ass ship wreck at the bottom of the ocean is possible.

I think the Captain is done after this year (maybe next year) and the thought of Barta conducting a search terrifies me. Just get prepared for some dark days.

I think the Captain is done after this year (maybe next year) and the thought of Barta conducting a search terrifies me. Just get prepared for some dark days.
Prior to this yr I'd always hoped that within the 4-6 yrs that Barta and KF would be out about hte same time. In no way shape or form should Barta be about hiring KFs replacement. I mean he'd be just dumb enough to hand the keys to BF. We couldn't put that past him as it sits now. That would be insane.

We don't get a lot of views into the dynamics within the football staff and the AD. But David Porter did, at least to an extent, and came away with a pretty strong point of view on Brian (and others). We are all pretty focused on the on-field results, partly because we can't go off much else. Interesting to look at these comments again regarding off the field relationships and how they might relate to on the field results.

Porter wrote to the rest of the advisory group that it was time to "bring in a new head football coach, football staff, and athletic director."

"He is loyal to a fault and will fall on the sword for his son and his staff because he thinks it's the right thing to do. I disagree. The only way I see to save his legacy, protect the program, help those kids, and continue to move forward at the same time is for Kirk to retire."
His view was not wdely shared by others in the Advisory group

As of right now the team is average 14.7 points per game, the exact amount of that 1999 team.

But this defense is way better then that 1999 team. It makes me sick to think how this defense is being wasted with no offense.

VERY unlikely Kirk steps down after this year, regardless of results. That's not how he thinks. In his mind, he's only 1 year removed from a Division title, so he maintains confidence in his coaching ability. He looks at his roster and sees all 5 OLinemen returning with a 5-star Fr to plug in at RT immediately, all 3 RBs returning, all WRs other than Ragaini returning, and 1 proven TE returning. On defense he has probably 7 of 8 top DLinemen returning, an NFL prospect Jacobs anchoring the LBs, and in the secondary he loses Moss but returns everyone else that started at Illinois, plus starting CB Harris returns from injury.
There's no way that Ferentz retires and leaves a team with that much experience on the field.
In his mind, a few tweaks here and there, a couple more made FGs vs Iowa St and Illinois, and the Hawks were 2-3 plays from being 5-1 right now. I'm not justifying that way of thinking, but his thought process is fairly transparent.
A more likely scenario is that after seeing his offense struggle for two consecutive years, he gives Brian the go-ahead to completely re-tool the offense -- whatever it takes -- similar to the review he did after the 2014 (?) defensive meltdown vs Nebraska.
His biggest challenge will be keeping the WRs with experience from transferring, especially when they see the success that Jones and Tracy have had at Purdue thus far.

That 2015 team got a gift fumble in Madison and a soft schedule.

^^^^^^ THIS FUCKING BIG TIME^^^^^^^

I guess we all can have our moments of hopefulness and see things that aren’t there.

It seems this season has awakened a lot of sleeping bears out of their hibernation mode. (Not talking about you okeef4prez) .

I just can’t get it out of my mind as it was a mind blower what Chuck Long said about nepotism. You just don’t see comments like that out of a former Iowa player, especially a Heisman runner up and such an admired former Iowa player.

Latest posts