Interesting quote from Cole

Agree with Freddy; Cole is clearly a leader on this team, and real leaders don't make excuses.

It is difficult to continue to use the "...but we are young" phrase after 24 games and some of the players have played one full season or mostly a season and a half. It is only an excuse at this point to continue to use that phrase. I'm glad that the team members refuse to use this excuse.

Of course we know that it isn't youth anymore but that the system is just so difficult to learn and that is the reason for the slower progress...

I disagree Spank - nothing related to iowa bball has been blown out of proportion on this board. Oh wait.....

Some of you people are seeing a Lick-bash even where none is evident. What I see is an attitude in Cole that I really admire and applaud him for. That's what a good leader does!

I agree on this, Cole is a great leader I think. I also like the fact that these kids HATE to lose, and you can see it on their faces after the games. It p!sses them off, and this is a good thing. I think they have a core of kids that have a competitive spirit, that will be very beneficial to the team next year.

Jarred Cole's comments re:system

Anyone catch this today in the PressCitizen?

"Iowa's struggles this season have been blamed largely on the team's youth, although, Cole now seems tired of hearing that. 'We're really not that young,' Cole said. 'We do have some freshmen on the team and some sophomores. But I think it's more buying into the system than anything.'"

Entire article:
'The time is now' for Hawkeyes | press-citizen.com | Iowa City Press Citizen

I am not trying to start any controversy. I am genuinely curious.
So Cole seems to be saying that some players still haven't bought into the system and that is why the Hawks have struggled. Given that Cole and Gatens are the only players currently on the roster who weren't recruited by Lickliter (correct?) my curiousity is this:
During the recruiting process is it more the responsibility of the coach/staff to articulate their system? or the recruit's to recognize how his style of play would fit into said system thus resulting in a happy marriage? How long should it take for a player to buy into a system especially if they were fully aware of the system they would be playing in? Is there a former player out there who has gone through the recruiting process that can enlighten me? What is the typical conversation between recruit and coach? Could it be that recruits are more excited about playing in a Big Ten program for instance and aren't as concerned about the style or system until they get here? I find it a little perplexing that Lickliter's players apparently still haven't bought into it.

Re: Jarred Cole's comments re:system

Hard to interpet Jarryds definition of ''buying in''.
He could mean that the players are still not proficient enough at running the offense and defense...or that they are not totally committed to the program...or he might just be trying to find another way to explain the losses without admitting that Iowa just does not have the talent to beat the top 6-7 teams in the league.

He could mean that the players are still not proficient enough at running the offense and defense...or that they are not totally committed to the program...or he might just be trying to find another way to explain the losses without admitting that Iowa just does not have the talent to beat the top 6-7 teams in the league.

Uhhh....ya not sure how you equate "buying in" with not proficient enough...not buying in means they aren't buying it, as in its not good enough so they don't want it and don't like it.

Anyone catch this today in the PressCitizen?

"Iowa's struggles this season have been blamed largely on the team's youth, although, Cole now seems tired of hearing that. 'We're really not that young,' Cole said. 'We do have some freshmen on the team and some sophomores. But I think it's more buying into the system than anything.'"

Entire article:
'The time is now' for Hawkeyes | press-citizen.com | Iowa City Press Citizen

I am not trying to start any controversy. I am genuinely curious.
So Cole seems to be saying that some players still haven't bought into the system and that is why the Hawks have struggled. Given that Cole and Gatens are the only players currently on the roster who weren't recruited by Lickliter (correct?) my curiousity is this:
During the recruiting process is it more the responsibility of the coach/staff to articulate their system? or the recruit's to recognize how his style of play would fit into said system thus resulting in a happy marriage? How long should it take for a player to buy into a system especially if they were fully aware of the system they would be playing in? Is there a former player out there who has gone through the recruiting process that can enlighten me? What is the typical conversation between recruit and coach? Could it be that recruits are more excited about playing in a Big Ten program for instance and aren't as concerned about the style or system until they get here? I find it a little perplexing that Lickliter's players apparently still haven't bought into it.

Yes, already a thread on it.
...Merging with previous thread...

If you go back to the comments of remaining players (I'm thinking maybe Gatens in particular, perhaps others) in the wake of the transfers last spring, there were references to the idea that they'd be fine because the guys that were still here "buy into the system"--the implication being that one or more of those who left did not "buy in."

I wonder if Coach uses that phrase a lot and that may contribute to its use by players. However, I wouldn't read too much into Cole's use of that particular phrase. He's not a PR guy carefully crafting a statement, he's a young man speaking off the cuff to a reporter. I just think he's trying to say to his teammates, "Let's not give ourselves any excuses. We can play good basketball now!" Again, that's just good leadership.

If you go back to the comments of remaining players (I'm thinking maybe Gatens in particular, perhaps others) in the wake of the transfers last spring, there were references to the idea that they'd be fine because the guys that were still here "buy into the system"--the implication being that one or more of those who left did not "buy in."

I wonder if Coach uses that phrase a lot and that may contribute to its use by players. However, I wouldn't read too much into Cole's use of that particular phrase. He's not a PR guy carefully crafting a statement, he's a young man speaking off the cuff to a reporter. I just think he's trying to say to his teammates, "Let's not give ourselves any excuses. We can play good basketball now!" Again, that's just good leadership.

I would guess that "buying into the system" is a pretty general phrase, one that he could say to cover a lot of different things. It's not that the players hate it, it just needs to be better executed. Hell, if I wanted to be really cynical, I could say that he's taking a subtle shot at fans who are constantly b*tching about it. But that's not the attitude that the players have. They aren't making excuses for themselves, which is another reason why I think we're going to be better next year. They aren't going to sit around all offseason and say "we'll be better automatically, since we were just young last year". They're going to bust their a**es to improve their game because they believe that it's the correctable flaws in their game that is keeping them from winning.

I would guess that "buying into the system" is a pretty general phrase, one that he could say to cover a lot of different things. It's not that the players hate it, it just needs to be better executed. Hell, if I wanted to be really cynical, I could say that he's taking a subtle shot at fans who are constantly b*tching about it. But that's not the attitude that the players have. They aren't making excuses for themselves, which is another reason why I think we're going to be better next year. They aren't going to sit around all offseason and say "we'll be better automatically, since we were just young last year". They're going to bust their a**es to improve their game because they believe that it's the correctable flaws in their game that is keeping them from winning.

OK let me tell you once again that "not buying in" is not a general phrase up for your interpretation. Let me break it down for you:

Synonyms: don't believe in, don't want to purchase, not interested

Antonyms: believe in it, want to purchase, like what they see

Example: "I went to Toyota the other day to get a new car. The salesman assured me that the product was top notch A+ great awesome. The next day I read on the interweb that millions of Toyota's were recalled. At that point I was NOT BUYING IN to what the salesman told me."

OK let me tell you once again that "not buying in" is not a general phrase up for your interpretation. Let me break it down for you:

Example: "I went to Toyota the other day to get a new car. The salesman assured me that the product was top notch A+ great awesome. The next day I read on the interweb that millions of Toyota's were recalled. At that point I was NOT BUYING IN to what the salesman told me."

Except that Cole is not a salesman, and he can't just come out and something like "we don't have much talent" or something like that. But when he's asked a direct question, he has to give some kind of answer.

Except that Cole is not a salesman, and he can't just come out and something like "we don't have much talent" or something like that. But when he's asked a direct question, he has to give some kind of answer.

So why didn't he say the usual? We're playing 100%, we've had some tough breaks, the shots will fall eventually?

Let me give you another example then: "I was playing basketball at the rec center the other day when the coach told me to go guard the other teams 6'10" center. At 5'7" I was a little put off by this. But then coach said just buy in to this because one day you might grow up to be 7' tall and then we'll have the advantage. So I went and guarded the tall guy and got owned all day, I was no longer buying in to this coach."

See that? I put my example as a basketball player, which Cole is...so now you can understand rite?

Last edited:

So to interpret what you're telling us... You didn't mean anything negative about Toyota by that statement. In fact you'll be going back to the dealership to make a down payment on a Toyota today?

Latest posts