Interesting News at QB

The receivers seem to like the faster pace and the increased use of motion. I'm optimistic and think the offense will be much better.

If McNamara, and this is a big if, can approach his play at Michigan the offense will double point production.

However, I'm going to wait until a little closer to actual kick off to rethink that wager. By week 5 last year I felt I had flushed all that money down the toilet, which would probably have been more fun anyway.

Last edited:
The kid from OSU mentioned earlier is buried deep in the depth chart. This after their spring game. 2 of the top guys are under classmen, one is a freshman. Possibilities

I had to chuckle watching video of today's practice. QBs were throwing simple 15-20 yd down-and-out passes to WRs, with no defenders. Completed 1 of their first 7. Passes high, passes low, WRs dropping balls. Un Fucking Believable. Looked like the first day of a h.s. practice.
Reminded me of one of last season's early practices held inside, when video showed the offense trying to run a simple crossing route with a ball snapped from the 7 yd line -- with no defenders -- trying to hit a WR along the back of the EZone...and they went something like 0-7. From the 7 yd line! And no defenders!
The more things change...
I would bet this is a flat out lie, as usual, from Grady. What video? I am pretty sure detailed video’s have not even been shown.
Flat out liars should be banned.

I would bet this is a flat out lie, as usual, from Grady. What video? I am pretty sure detailed video’s have not even been shown.

Actually I saw the video he was talking about and it was really that bad. It showed a drill where the receivers went out about 15 to 20 yards and did a down and out. It was one receiver after another. I am not sure which QB was throwing the ball. Some of the receivers were able to get their hands on the balls but didn’t catch it. I thought some of them should have been caught but several were low passes and the receivers were having to reach way out or way low. I think I saw that on a You Tube video. There were several passes in a row that were dropped. The only Iowa sports news you will catch in Utah is stuff
about Caitlin.

If I find the link to the You Tube video I will post it here.

Ok, I found it. It at about the 2:45 mark. Now it’s possible they were doing it on purpose to teach the receivers how to catch poorly thrown balls. There are more videos out today with drills where the passes looked pretty good. I think this video is actually one of Rob’s videos.

It’s ok Huck to admit when you’re wrong in this instance and apologize.

Last edited:
I miss not living in Iowa and catching the local sports news in the spring.

Here is a short positive clip from John Campbell. Dang that guy has been around for a long, long time.

I understand the angst and frustration we all went through last season at the QB position. To me it’s not about Hill more than it maybe about Lester’s coaching abilities.

Hopefully we have a miraculous season where Cade doesn’t get hurt, but if he does and Hill is the guy and Hill has a transformation then the heavens will
part and angels will descend onto Kinnick.

It won’t hurt to pick up a QB in the portal just in case.

Actually I saw the video he was talking about and it was really that bad. It showed a drill where the receivers went out about 15 to 20 yards and did a down and out. It was one receiver after another. I am not sure which QB was throwing the ball. Some of the receivers were able to get their hands on the balls but didn’t catch it. I thought some of them should have been caught but several were low passes and the receivers were having to reach way out or way low. I think I saw that on a You Tube video. There were several passes in a row that were dropped. The only Iowa sports news you will catch in Utah is stuff
about Caitlin.

If I find the link to the You Tube video I will post it here.
My apologies. I did not know videos were available. Thanks for correcting my post Big D. And, sorry Grady. I screwed up.

Ok, I found it. It at about the 2:45 mark. Now it’s possible they were doing it on purpose to teach the receivers how to catch poorly thrown balls. There are more videos out today with drills where the passes looked pretty good. I think this video is actually one of Rob’s videos.

It’s ok Huck to admit when you’re wrong in this instance and apologize.

Yup. See my apology below.

I miss not living in Iowa and catching the local sports news in the spring.

Here is a short positive clip from John Campbell. Dang that guy has been around for a long, long time.

Anyone know if Ron Steele is still at KWWL?

He was their sports anchor before ESPN existed...before Hayden Fry arrived at Iowa. He switched to news anchor in the early or mid 1980's

Yup. See my apology below.
Retract My apology. Yes. There were some drops/ bad passes. I counted 4 or 5? I guess you, D, and Grady forgot to watch the rest of the video where a whole bunch of good passes/catches were completed, both on the sideline and many on the post pattern. Yes. No defense, so any drops or bad passes are not good. But lies by omission are also lies.

He was their sports anchor before ESPN existed...before Hayden Fry arrived at Iowa. He switched to news anchor in the early or mid 1980's

Yep, I remember him and then Bob Hogue replaced him before Bob moved out west. The familiar statement by Bob “Oh MY!! “ on big plays.

Retract My apology. Yes. There were some drops/ bad passes. I counted 4 or 5? I guess you, D, and Grady forgot to watch the rest of the video where a whole bunch of good passes/catches were completed, both on the sideline and many on the post pattern. Yes. No defense, so any drops or bad passes are not good. But lies by omission are also lies.
Yes there were some passes that were completed. There are also other videos where the passing looked pretty good and I also stated that. I am only saying that part of what he was saying was true. He may stopped watching the rest of the video I don’t know.

I'm extremely disappointed in you for not knowing the exact year. You're slipping.

If RPO is in Lester's offense then our current QB roster is not going to work.
Why? Michigan did a little RPO. McNamara is more than mobile enough for an RPO. Its run to the running back or pull and pass to the WR. Its like 5 steps for the QB. Really, any QB should be able to do an RPO.

Actually, HE IS STILL at KWWL. Just last week they had a 50th anniversary celebration for him.

Why? Michigan did a little RPO. McNamara is more than mobile enough for an RPO. Its run to the running back or pull and pass to the WR. Its like 5 steps for the QB. Really, any QB should be able to do an RPO.

Correct, people thinking that a mobile/running QB is necessary for the RPO don't really get it. It's just simply not. Now having a mobile QB is a bonus, I admit that. It's a scheme of deception more than anything and having a QB making correct reads at the line and getting the ball out quick. Those aspects are what is most important with this offense.

nobody asked me so I'll say I'm not interested in another QB from deep in the depth chart of another team. Not another Deacon Hill.

So I'm less that excited about the OSU kid. Isn't he the guy from an OSU Family - a legacy - wears the number of Hop Along Cassity? ring a bell?