Interesting Hypothetical Here

WinOneThisCentury

Bob Stoops almost became the Iowa Head Coach instead of Kirk Ferentz in 1999. Let's imagine he took the job, or was offered...would the program be in better shape today and would the future look brighter if he had taken the job?

I believe KF has done very well and his achievements speak for themselves. That being said, his teams can be difficult to watch at times with the conservative nature of the defense and our inconsistent gameplans on offense. KF just has some maddening tendencies that drive me crazy...shutting it down at the end of the first half, and game if we are tied. Tendency not to play younger players unless every upperclassman ahead of them is hurt...etc.

Bob Stoops almost became the Iowa Head Coach instead of Kirk Ferentz in 1999. Let's imagine he took the job, or was offered...would the program be in better shape today and would the future look brighter if he had taken the job?

I believe KF has done very well and his achievements speak for themselves. That being said, his teams can be difficult to watch at times with the conservative nature of the defense and our inconsistent gameplans on offense. KF just has some maddening tendencies that drive me crazy...shutting it down at the end of the first half, and game if we are tied. Tendency not to play younger players unless every upperclassman ahead of them is hurt...etc.

Better because Stoops has consistently found talented young assistants to work for him. The number of head coaches that he has produced in such a short time is very impressive. Having guys that are looking to move on stops a staff from getting complacent like our staff has.

I don't think he would be quite as successful here as he has been at Oklahoma, but I believe we would be in the top 25 four out of every five years. However, I think he would have left for the ND job when Weis took it if he had been coach here.

Way worse. As one poster on here already said "there is no coach that would get Iowa to a better place."

sarcasm in above statement.

I believe Stoops would have built up the program about as quickly as Ferentz. I think his recruiting would have been better so Year 3 (2001) may have been better than 7-5.

Eventually I think Stoops would have made Iowa a legit B10 contender annually by 2002 and leave for a bigger job and paycheck sometime around 2004 or so after success at Iowa.

So who knows how the program would have recovered from his departure.

This is just my fun little hypothetical. Main point being I don't not believe in any way Iowa could have met Stoops' salary demands after big success. They didn't have the money back then to fill the bill so he would have left after 5-7 years.

Stoops would of def bailed after a bit of success. That's the double edged sword of being a good program with a good coach.

I don't know enough about Oklahoma to answer for sure but looking at his track record, I think he probably would have exceeded what Kirk has done here. That's a gut feeling though. It's a really, really difficult thing to gauge.

Watch what Urban Meyer does at OSU and you will find your answer. OSU has done far more than Iowa has, but Meyer will have them competing for national titles (again) in the near term and we will forever be a middle of the pack team incapable of taking the next step. Get our non con wins and dump in conference play, but back into a bowl game.

I would trade Kirk Ferentz and my left arm for Bob Stoops and a bucket of nails in a heartbeat. That is all.

I'm leaning towards Ferentz and Stoops as a push for what they could accomplish at Iowa.

Ferentz at Oklahoma in the Big 12 would be a nightmare though. I doubt he would come anywhere close to what Stoops has done at Oklahoma.

Get beat by Baylor and Texas Tech (at home) does not prove to me that Stoops system doesn't have flaws. If OU gets beat by OSU look at some OU boards saying it is time for him to be fired.

Latest posts