Interesting Discuss about Former Iowa Coach

Alford is all smoke and mirrors. I'm not sure how he landed the ucla gig. He's in way over his head.

I didn't even read the link conn53victor posted. We(about everyone) knew the day he was hired at UCLA that he would get ran out of there pretty quickly. he is nothing more than a Greg McDermott with a sexier name. In other words, he is a good mid-major coach, nothing more, nothing less.

My guess is when he is fired at UCLA he will coach at a mid major for a few years do well and get yet another opportunity at a big boy program.

Here's what I don't get: what fundamentals/principles change from "mid-major" to "major". If it's simply a matter of not being able to recruit, so be it. He DID, after all, have issues with getting recruits to campus while at Iowa. How can one "overachieve" at one level of college but fail to achieve at the next?

And we constantly heard that Neal was the "true" coach, but Neal hasn't exactly taken New Mexico to dizzying heights since getting the gig.

Or does Alford and his "personality" create the problem in the first place? But again, that personality is the same wherever he is coaching, no?

I lived in Indiana the year Alford was a senior in high school. The guy was told he was a God starting in 8th grade. The state adored him and still does. His high school gym held 10K, half of the population of New Castle. Daddy coached him.

The motel in town has a shrine to him. His family never paid for much in town. They all pretty much got what they wanted, when they wanted.

So then he plays for the #1 egotistical pr!ck of all time. Image having that as a mentor.

My point is, he's a product of his cultural and his influences during his up bringing. "Me first, all others second."

Unfortunately, he's never recognized the fact he has an unquenchable entitlement mentality.

Ah yes, the honeymoon phase of Alford's tenure at UCLA is over and the real Steve Alford is exposed! I'm so glad that part of Hawkeye history is in the rear view mirror. Thank God for Franny!!

rwtsracefan(Dan Wemett)

If Fran goes to the NBA after this year, Alford could be in the hawkeyes future.

When I think of Alford I touch myself...................

with tp as I wipe my rear end.

But golly gosh gee whiz he looks like a bb coach! That alone seems to have sustained his career.

Here's what I don't get: what fundamentals/principles change from "mid-major" to "major". If it's simply a matter of not being able to recruit, so be it. He DID, after all, have issues with getting recruits to campus while at Iowa. How can one "overachieve" at one level of college but fail to achieve at the next?

And we constantly heard that Neal was the "true" coach, but Neal hasn't exactly taken New Mexico to dizzying heights since getting the gig.

Or does Alford and his "personality" create the problem in the first place? But again, that personality is the same wherever he is coaching, no?
The fundamentals don't change but the egos and Divas certainly do. Here's my take on Steve Alford: He can coach offense, not defense. He can't coach defense because he never played defense. Neal was the defensive coach and that showed up when Neal showed up. Alford is an *** and he's about as likely to kiss the *** of a high D-1 recruit as Bob Knight was. Alford's not mentally built to juggle 6 or 7 Divas on one court because he's one of the biggest Divas around. Alford and Neal are a good example of the "two are better than one" saying.
UCLA recruits itself but Alford chose to play his son and feature him in the offense, in spite having much higher rated recruits on the team. NBA talent on the team. Bryce Alford plays defense like his father did. Which is to say that Bryce is the lowest rated defensive player in the PAC 12. This is not a joke. There is a list of players from every conference that have the best and worst adjusted offense and defense ratings. I actually read it on the Bruin Message board. They even had a link.
The best thing that Steve Alford could ever do is hire a great defensive assistant coach and give him half of his salary. That way he could keep the guy happy and hopefully he might stay. Add that to a place that recruits like UCLA and he might be successful.

I lived in Indiana the year Alford was a senior in high school. The guy was told he was a God starting in 8th grade. The state adored him and still does. His high school gym held 10K, half of the population of New Castle. Daddy coached him.

The motel in town has a shrine to him. His family never paid for much in town. They all pretty much got what they wanted, when they wanted.

So then he plays for the #1 egotistical pr!ck of all time. Image having that as a mentor.

My point is, he's a product of his cultural and his influences during his up bringing. "Me first, all others second."

Unfortunately, he's never recognized the fact he has an unquenchable entitlement mentality.
If you haven't already, watch the "30 for 30" documentary on Reggie Miller. There's a small snippet in the doc that pretty much encapsulates the nature of Stevie (and Tanya, by the way). The scene shows the Alford's at home watching the NBA draft on TV. When the Pacers selection comes up, and Reggie is selected, both Stevie and Tanya have these incredulous looks on their faces. Stevie shakes his head, and I'm sure he's thinking that the Pacers have just made a huge mistake.

Latest posts