Interesting Discuss about Former Iowa Coach

This thread (if it keeps going) is going to spiral into a train wreck real fast.

Alford is universally hated by Hawkeye fans (including me), and any response you get to that story is going to be of the "I hope he dies in a plane crash" variety. Civil discussion ain't gonna happen.

He was a complete tool to players, made ridiculous promises, and left the program in a much worse state than when he got it. The only good thing to come out of it was that his plan to use the U of I as a "stepping stone" backfired. Nobody cares what happens to him.

This thread (if it keeps going) is going to spiral into a train wreck real fast.

Alford is universally hated by Hawkeye fans (including me), and any response you get to that story is going to be of the "I hope he dies in a plane crash" variety. Civil discussion ain't gonna happen.

He was a complete tool to players, made ridiculous promises, and left the program in a much worse state than when he got it. The only good thing to come out of it was that his plan to use the U of I as a "stepping stone" backfired. Nobody cares what happens to him.

Lock thread.

I like Steve Alford. I grew up going to his basketball camps at Iowa and some of his team's were my favorite iowa teams ever.

He's not a bad coach but he's a dickbag.

True. He did nothing to endear himself to the fan base. Of course winning at a higher level would've helped, but his personality did him no favors. I guess that doesn't fly when your team is 17-14..

He's not a terrible coach, but not a great one, either. I'd say he's pretty average, maybe a little above. No shocker that his best results came in the mountain west and MVC, but at Iowa, his teams were typically pretty average.. Competitive, but never usually more than NIT/Fringe-NCAA material, 2005-06 aside.

We're in better hands with Fran, and Alford was no Tom Davis, either.

Last edited:
dl383_1301905738382326951_L.jpg
this bag hold all his hair gels
He's not a bad coach but he's a dickbag.

He was better than Lickliter and his kid is a better player than Lickliter's.

There. The first two nice things I've ever said about him.

Ah yes, the honeymoon phase of Alford's tenure at UCLA is over and the real Steve Alford is exposed! I'm so glad that part of Hawkeye history is in the rear view mirror. Thank God for Franny!!

rwtsracefan(Dan Wemett)

Ah yes, the honeymoon phase of Alford's tenure at UCLA is over and the real Steve Alford is exposed! I'm so glad that part of Hawkeye history is in the rear view mirror. Thank God for Franny!!

rwtsracefan(Dan Wemett)
No doubt. Alfraud is up to his usual tricks. Wins a game you think he shouldn't....then loses to teams he shouldn't. His team doesn't play defense. Maybe that's why he loses some of those games? A good defensive team can win even when the shots aren't falling.

Lost to Oregon today. Currently sitting in 9th place in the PAC 12. Hanging his hopes on a PAC tourney title to get in the NCAA tournament. Remember those days? :mad:

Lost to Oregon today. Currently sitting in 9th place in the PAC 12. Hanging his hopes on a PAC tourney title to get in the NCAA tournament. Remember those days? :mad:

All too well. Big pre-season expectations and/or promising start to the season, only to end up in "must win 4 in 4 days to make the dance" territory.

Things could've been worse (see Todd Lickliter) but when thinking of the Alford era, "uninspiring" is the word that comes to mind. Just a lot of average basketball without any real sense that something special was brewing.

These last two posts above pretty much define the Alford era.

Outside of the Bruner/horner team that lost in the first round - it never felt like we were really that good.

People really don't remember ALford that well as a coach.. he was terribly average here.

And as a person he was disgusting.