intentional/flagrant foul revisited

First of all anyone who claims officiating “isn’t that hard” either…

1) is a liar
2) is lazy and didn’t try very hard
3) is the most naturally talented and gifted official ever to walk the earth

Congrats if it’s number 3.

I don't claim to be a hero or want recognition. The goal of our crew each night is to have as smooth a game as possible and go unnoticed. Again not a single official I know does this for "recognition".

I said you have issues because you said you were incapable of discussing the matter without getting PO'd, seems to me that would indicate you have some issues.

I have no issues with being wrong. It rarely happens in a rule related matter (which is all we were discussing here) but on the court it happens. I have no problem telling coaches who treat me with respect "I'm sorry, I probably missed that one, but I'll try hard to get it right next time". Basketball is a game played and supervised by human beings and everyone makes mistakes. Players miss shots (even lay ups), coaches make a bad decisions, and officials miss calls.

But at least now we get to the bottom of it, you coached travelling youth teams....

This is something many youth coaches have trouble understanding. You are there to teach kids basketball skills, basketball sportsmanship, and life. You are NOT there to earn your kid a DI scholarship or an NBA contract. There may be coaches along the way capable of doing those things, but you aren't one of them. During games your job should be helping your kids get better at the game, not working the officials at the contest. If you have time to "work an official" then you should be using that time to coach you kids, I promise you they need improving a helluva lot more than the officials do. We have enough to worry about keeping track of ten kids (some of whom can't walk and chew gum at the same time) and dealing with parents without having to deal with someone who SHOULD be serving as a role model for these kids.

The interesting thing about parents (and sometimes fans in general) is they don't always see the need to understand a rule prior to yelling at an official about how it should be enforced. This season I've personally experienced a parent who stood up in the bleachers walked within 3 feet from me, count to three, and begin screaming for a 3 second violation while the other team was trying to inbound the ball. Everyone on the court stopped playing and just stood and stared at this guy. We actually had to blow the ball dead so I could tell him there is no 3 second rule while the ball is dead and ask him to sit down so we could re-start the game. Fans will stand and scream for a travel after a player dives for a loose ball, gains possession, and slides 3 feed on his jersey without understanding a player may slide from one free throw line to the other with the ball provided he doesn't roll over or attempt to get to his feet.

Parents don't understand that if we called every travelling violation in a 4th grade boys tournament most games would more closely resemble suicide drills and would end with scores in the single digits. But they sure remember that time we called their kid for travelling because he fell to his knees with the ball and they can't wait to ride us for not calling a travel on someone else’s kid because he slid is pivot foot a few inches.

Things like this aren't always limited to youth ball either. I've been shocked this season at the number of times "fans" (I use that word loosely) spent more energy yelling at officials than cheering their own team. Their team would steal an inbounds pass, and the player would go coast to coast for a layup and they would get a golf clap, but the officials would make a call they didn't agree with and half a dozen people would be on their feet screaming. It was absolutely shocking to witness. I remember leaving a varsity game at CCA earlier this year. It was a 2 point game and came down the the last possession. As I was on my way out through the lobby after changing clothes a guy was laughing to the other parents about his voice being horse from "yelling at the officials" all night.... really? It was a two point game, I would think I'd be cheering on your team not yelling at officials (contrary to popular belief yelling at officials and cheering on your team are not the same thing).

All that said the VAST MAJORITY of coaches, parents, and fans at all levels are decent and grounded people. Unfortunately for them the behavior of the few stains the reputation of the many. The positive experiences I've had officiating basketball far outweigh any of the negatives, and I refuse to let any of the people like those mentioned above take away from those positives. I took up this hobby knowing full well those kinds of people exist and that dealing with them is part of what I signed up for. That said it doesn't change the fact that type of behavior is disgraceful.

Lastly I’ll share that in the 6 years I've been officiating I've learned 2 unequivocal facts…

1) I am a much better official when the team you are rooting for is ahead.
2) It is impossible to look like a good official during a poorly played basketball game.

Officiating is tough. I do it on a soccer field. Can't imagine doing it inside an enclosed gymnasium where every sound is magnified and the "haters" are only feet away.

Officiating is tough. I do it on a soccer field. Can't imagine doing it inside an enclosed gymnasium where every sound is magnified and the "haters" are only feet away.

I assume you do high school games? I'm in nowhere near good enough shape to handle all the running you must do.

Is the flopping we see on TV as frequent in HS matches as it is there? That would drive me nuts as an official.

I assume you do high school games? I'm in nowhere near good enough shape to handle all the running you must do.

Is the flopping we see on TV as frequent in HS matches as it is there? That would drive me nuts as an official.

I do adults, college age (not licensed to do college itself but thinking about it), high school on down. There's a lot of attempted "gamesmanship" in soccer, including feigning or exaggerating injury or fouls. We get instruction on it and watch a lot of video. Fortunately, we can card players for it; does basketball allow similar punishment?

I do a lot of amateur ethnic adult games: Germans, Turks, Greeks, Italians, Portuguese, Russian, eastern European, as well as Latin American matches. The Italians seem to follow that country's men's national team when it comes to diving but others do it as well.

There are tell-tale signs, and within 5 or 10 minutes you usually get a feel for who you need to watch. As a ref, you gain credibility with unfamiliar teams when you recognize diving and address it. There have been a few times when the attempted dive is so bad even their teammates laugh.

Lastly I’ll share that in the 6 years I've been officiating I've learned 2 unequivocal facts…

1) I am a much better official when the team you are rooting for is ahead.
2) It is impossible to look like a good official during a poorly played basketball game.

Good stuff Duff! I just took up officiating this year and I've found that it's a lot easier to make the calls sitting in your recliner at home.

I do adults, college age (not licensed to do college itself but thinking about it), high school on down. There's a lot of attempted "gamesmanship" in soccer, including feigning or exaggerating injury or fouls. We get instruction on it and watch a lot of video. Fortunately, we can card players for it; does basketball allow similar punishment?

I do a lot of amateur ethnic adult games: Germans, Turks, Greeks, Italians, Portuguese, Russian, eastern European, as well as Latin American matches. The Italians seem to follow that country's men's national team when it comes to diving but others do it as well.

There are tell-tale signs, and within 5 or 10 minutes you usually get a feel for who you need to watch. As a ref, you gain credibility with unfamiliar teams when you recognize diving and address it. There have been a few times when the attempted dive is so bad even their teammates laugh.

The book allows us to T up any play who is guilty of "faking being fouled". In reality it's usually a situation where we just ignore it. If it's a blatant situation I'll sometimes warn the guilty player that faking a foul is a T and they usually won't repeat it.

I have a on a few occasions called a flopper for a common foul. Those are typically limited to situations in which the flopping player creates significant contact the the legs of another offensive player as he/she falls, or the player on the ground trips up the player with the ball (you can't maintain a legal guarding position while flat on your back), or in situations where I had already warned one member of a team and another player tried the same thing.

I can remember one memorable example of the latter. It was in a youth game (probably 5th or 6th grade) and on the first possession a post player for the opposition caught the ball on the block turned and shot, the defender literally screamed and threw himself to the ground trying to draw the foul. As I helped the defender up I warned him that I could call a technical for faking a foul. Two or three trips down the floor later a different defender tried to take a charge on a fast break. The problem is the guy with the ball pulled up 3 feet short of him and hit a pull up jumper. When the defender went flying backward I whistled him for a foul. As I was walking to the bench to report it the coach asked me (very politely) what I had, I said "it's a block", he said "how can you call a block there wasn't any contact", I said "then why did your player yell and fall to the ground?" Needless to say he didn't have a real good answer for that, we both had a chuckle about it. I then told him that if there wasn't contact my only option was to call a T on the defender and I really really didn't want to do that (in this tournament any player who got a T had to sit the rest of the game). He called a time out and it wasn't an issue after that.

falling-asleep-at-your-desk-on-a-sunday-is-never-a-good-thing.jpg

Good stuff Duff! I just took up officiating this year and I've found that it's a lot easier to make the calls sitting in your recliner at home.

It's an odd experience for sure. I can sit on any bar stool in the world and pick out peremiter travels on the spot but when you are three feet from it for some reason it's more difficult. I am a very inconsistent travelling official, it's by far my biggest weakness.

Latest posts