Instant Reaction: More than Just a Loss to Huskers

Forget about Kirk Ferentz's contract running til 2020. He has 2 more years to reverse the apathy and attendance trend. If KF doesn't do that by 2016, he won't get a contract extension and will effectively be a lame duck coach.
As it is, I don't see any way he earns a contract extension. Next season is another cupcake schedule but we lose 3 OL and our 2 DTs. That's too much experience lost for a mediocre team to overcome. The 2016 team will have to deal with the loss of 15 players/ 7 starters (current JRs) off of our current depth chart. With a much tougher schedule.
You think our recruiting is bad now? I hope Barta's not dumb enough to try and allow KF to coach out his contract.

That's cool, but which time ... this is like the 5th or 6th underachieving season in the last 7. How many seasons did you need to see play out that look just like this one? At some point it becomes an expectation.

Kirk had more than enough goodwill built up for the 2010, and 2012 seasons...things were running low after the 2012 year. Then they go 8-4 last year...Iowa is not gonna run a coach for going 8-4 nor should they.

I really like Ferentz and hes been a good coach. But I think the game is passing him by. In my opinion I think its time for a change to.

Spoken with more respect than I would of. I am losing respect for Kirk, if he loves Iowa so much he would leave before the next guy has nothing to work with.

I agree. He's earned enough that he and his family are set for life. Sure it's a contract that Iowa offered and he is legally owed the money, but if he was such a wonderful stand up guy he could retire and let Iowa move on.

A couple years ago the Minnesota Twins had a Japanese player who didn't pan out and he had a contract guaranteeing over 3 million dollars but since he didn't play well he didn't take the money that was legally owed him. That dude is a stand up guy.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/8...s-tsuyoshi-nishioka-cut-waiving-salary-buyout

Doesnt his youngest son have a couplemore years? He wont leave until his last son graduates. And thats at the earliest.

I remember similar talk in 1997 and 1998 with Hayden. The team under-achieved in 1997 with tremendous talent, then laid a huge egg in their bowl game against ASU. Some persons, and rightly so, were wondering what was going on, and then 1998 came and the team was terrible (and, sadly, got blown out in Hayden's last game), and people were still wondering all season long when Hayden was going to call it quits, wondering how bad would he let the team get before he did so.

I feel a similar sort of vibe going on now. I can't think of a single phase in the game in which we will improve significantly next year to the level where we can compete for a championship in the B10. I think we have some solid players, but graduation losses won't be made up for by improvement in other areas, and since we can't out-scheme anyone it seems, I don't see any advantages coming from that end, either.

Like late 1998, I am wondering how bad we will get before KF decides to walk away. I give him credit for changing up assistants a few years back (I at least credit him for recognizing there was a problem), but unless he's going to do the same thing again (like with the OC, with Special Teams, with whoever is coaching the QB's, etc), I don't see how anything will change next season. We'll win 2 games maybe we should have lost, but we'll lose 4 games we should have won. We will end up someplace between 5-7 and 7-5, and attendance will keep going down. And we'll be having this same conversation all over again. Because Kirk can't change. He just can't. He could hire the Baylor OC as his OC and we would likely still see the same plays on the field we're seeing now. I feel kind of bad for him, because he's so clearly stuck in a rut, a 2002 'zone-blocking' rut, he's so clearly become passe in his methods, and only he doesn't see it. He's the only person who thought that Marc Weisman should stay at HB, as opposed to putting him back there as a FB with a fleet-footed HB, instantly doubling your options, and putting the defense a little more back on their heels. As soon as I heard Weisman was going to stay the HB, I knew our offense was going to be unimaginative and dull same-old same-old.

It's frustrating, since I've been regularly going to games for over 30 years, it's a pain to get down there with my work schedule, it costs me a ton of money, and it's just not as much fun as it should be. I'll never give up my tickets--the damn thing is in my blood, and my family's--but I sure as heck might downgrade my seats, which are rather expensive. And I might only get 2, instead of 4. I really, really hope things turn around before Kinnick starts getting attendances in the 40,000 range (like in the early 70's), while still paying their coach 4 million a year. And I don't know that things will ever turn around with this current staff. This is like having a girlfriend who you know is going to break up with you, yet you just don't have the stones to call it off before she breaks your heart. It's sad.

Doesnt his youngest son have a couplemore years? He wont leave until his last son graduates. And thats at the earliest.

Ferentz has quickly if not totally lost the the edge of making that call.. I was at the game today and it is amazing the stuff coming from Iowa fans inside Kinnick, KF IMO has lost the majority of the fan base..

Good podcast again Jon. They have all been good. And I don't think you need to defend yourself against the coming-late-to-the-party-naysayers.

But listening to this podcast has left me just as frustrated as this mediocre season because the inference you are giving is that there is really nothing that is going to be done about the muck of mediocrity in the immediate future.

So the immedicate future is more of the same stuff we've seen the last several years.

HawkPrdatr40 - Would love to know what was being said exacttly and by whom....can you give us some more detail please? And was this by fans that up until lately were KF kissers?

If you are a player on this team, regardless if you are 1st string or 3rd string, how much confidence do you have in this coach to put you in the right plays or even better motivate you to get the job done?

That's cool, but which time ... this is like the 5th or 6th underachieving season in the last 7. How many seasons did you need to see play out that look just like this one? At some point it becomes an expectation.

The only other time they've underachieved to this degree was in 2010 (and if we're using hindsight instead of what we expected the team to do in August, you could throw 2008 in there, too). They've underachieved in many other years, but rarely this badly. We had talent at some of our regular strong positions (OL, DT, CB, TE, etc.) and had maybe the best collection of talent at WR we've ever had under Ferentz, which is a position that's played a big role in holding us back at times. I've seen enough of him to this point to go ahead and say it. Tevaun Smith is the most talented WR we've had in at least a dozen years (Mo Brown). But we fail to utilize him often enough for him to make a real impact on the game. No receiver we've had since Brown has had his combination of size, hands, speed and route-running ability. We've had guys who have had some of those traits, but not all of them. To have this kind of playmaking ability on the outside and still be struggling to make much of anything happen through the air is downright embarrassing.

What about going the Wisconsin way where Alvarez moved on to AD..Maybe Ferentz replace Barta?..or would that be a disaster too

Two words: Forest Evashevski

If you want a person who will not accept anything other than excellence from all those that work for him, and who was an Iowa coach, you need to promote Dan Gable to head AD. I can't imagine what negotiating a contract like Ferentz's with that man would have been like. Probably would have thrown it in the trash then had him run the stairs in Kinnick, making him say "championship" on every step, to think about what he had done.

This is the end of the Ferentz regime. He's already replaced most of his staff and that is usually the beginning of the end. He'll be back next year. After that? Empty seats will be the only thing that may escalate the problem. How do you sell this program moving forward when all it could muster was a 7-5 season with one of the weakest schedules in my lifetime?

Ferentz has quickly if not totally lost the the edge of making that call.. I was at the game today and it is amazing the stuff coming from Iowa fans inside Kinnick, KF IMO has lost the majority of the fan base..

I'm curious to hear what was being said around you. We have been season ticket holders for almost 25 years and sit with a lot of long timers. Most of the people in our section just shake their heads in quiet frustration. Every single person around us knew we were going to let go of the game today. Every one.

Yup. Face it folks. We are on the decline of Iowa football. This will be exactly like Hayden's last two years. Barta and Ferentz will not survive and this will cost all of us a lot of money. Bank it.

The only other time they've underachieved to this degree was in 2010 (and if we're using hindsight instead of what we expected the team to do in August, you could throw 2008 in there, too). They've underachieved in many other years, but rarely this badly. We had talent at some of our regular strong positions (OL, DT, CB, TE, etc.) and had maybe the best collection of talent at WR we've ever had under Ferentz, which is a position that's played a big role in holding us back at times. I've seen enough of him to this point to go ahead and say it. Tevaun Smith is the most talented WR we've had in at least a dozen years (Mo Brown). But we fail to utilize him often enough for him to make a real impact on the game. No receiver we've had since Brown has had his combination of size, hands, speed and route-running ability. We've had guys who have had some of those traits, but not all of them. To have this kind of playmaking ability on the outside and still be struggling to make much of anything happen through the air is downright embarrassing.

10 years of 41-39 in the conference is underachieving... no matter how you slice it.

Two words: Forest Evashevski

If you want a person who will not accept anything other than excellence from all those that work for him, and who was an Iowa coach, you need to promote Dan Gable to head AD. I can't imagine what negotiating a contract like Ferentz's with that man would have been like. Probably would have thrown it in the trash then had him run the stairs in Kinnick, making him say "championship" on every step, to think about what he had done.

Evy took over as AD after the 1960 season. We went 5-4 in 1961 and then didn't have a single winning season again until Fry came along. So for all of his refusal to accept anything other than excellence, he didn't exactly preside over a successful football program as AD. So that's not exactly an example I'd want to use, if I were you.

10 years of 41-39 in the conference is underachieving... no matter how you slice it.

It depends on how you're defining underachieving, I guess. If you want to look at it and say that a program like Iowa should be better than that over a 10-year span, then yeah, I'd agree with you. I've been (and I think Jon has, too) looking at each season individually and looking at what those teams had to work with. The 2007 team was not very talented, so 6-6 wasn't really that far off the mark for what that team should have achieved. Same thing for 2011, 2012 and 2013. Those teams were all right in the neighborhood of where they should have been, based on each team's talent level. Even in 2005 and 2006, those teams had some pretty significant weaknesses that couldn't really be solved by any coaching strategy. The defensive line was very green in 2005 and it really held the defense back until finally finding a bit of a groove at the end of the year. The 2006 team's linebackers were pretty weak and the wide receiver corps was even worse, plus we had Tate and Albert Young battling through injuries all year.

And while this team does have its flaws (the linebackers definitely aren't our strongest, although the younger guys have some potential; the running back situation isn't really ideal, either, and the safety play has been shaky at times), it's got more than enough talent on both sides of the ball to be at least 9-3, if not better. Most of those other teams that went 7-5/6-6 couldn't say that. The 2010 and 2008 teams certainly could, and I could see an argument for 2005. Not to mention, most of those teams were playing considerably tougher schedules than we had this year.

Latest posts