Initial Game thoughts

Same ole comments, missing open receiver's, over throwing or under throwing. Seems like with every new name Qb it's the same comments.
Here's an idea , in the KF system there are no 2 or 3 options. The play is called to go to a certain spot. Regardless of who else might be open the ball is going to the called play or spot. Been that way for years. The same comments I'm reading now here or the same I read about Stanley and so on. If that isn't the case then someone tell me why you never see a Iowa Qb never look for any other read than the first one.

Tracy adjusted his route and rightly so because of the DB slipping. Petras released it just before he the time to adjust. Lucky it was even completed.

You can always see things better in person, but a lot if his in completions looked like he was not taking any chances because of the lead. As a FB coach, I can see so much more in person and see his they're using each player, etc.

We must be talking about a different play then because the one I'm talking about was an incompletion as Petras threw the ball into the turf 5 yards in front of the receiver. He was WIDE open without a defender within 30 yards of him.

Same ole comments, missing open receiver's, over throwing or under throwing. Seems like with every new name Qb it's the same comments.
Here's an idea , in the KF system there are no 2 or 3 options. The play is called to go to a certain spot. Regardless of who else might be open the ball is going to the called play or spot. Been that way for years. The same comments I'm reading now here or the same I read about Stanley and so on. If that isn't the case then someone tell me why you never see a Iowa Qb never look for any other read than the first one.

This isn't true, the complaint on Stanley was his accuracy and the constant over throws.

Meh, I saw quite a few check downs. If it was a designed five yard pass the ball would be delivered quickly rather than Petras going through reads and checking down.

I thought Petras is what we hope he will be. His completion percentage wasnt that good due to 3 or more drops. Yeah he had 2 bad throws which is down from about 5 a game last season.
We need to get WRs that can get open. Charlie Moore? Thank goodness we have 2 stud TEs.

He will only get better. If this is his worst game that we won 34-6, I am content.

From my view from the stands....I thought Iowa did not look exactly crisp on offense, but for playing a ranked conference opponent to start the year, it was far from bad. Petras did not get this feet under him on one throw on the run that would have been a touchdown. A receiver makes a catch for a first down late in the game and if he does not lose his feet he runs easily for 6. We have a couple of fumbles with one of them likely taking another score off the board.

Iowa had such a big lead they may have been holding back some in that 2nd half.
100%. A lot of folks here seem to be forgetting that this was the first game of the year. This team will get better, and if this was the offense's worst performance of the year then it is by no means out of the ordinary.

This game was over at halftime. KF ran out the clock in the second half. The defense was outstanding. The crowd had to have been snoring by the start of the 4th quarter. Just a controlled scrimmage by that point. Spenser wasn't asked to do much in the second half.
Meh, I saw quite a few check downs. If it was a designed five yard pass the ball would be delivered quickly rather than Petras going through reads and checking down.

We must be talking about a different play then because the one I'm talking about was an incompletion as Petras threw the ball into the turf 5 yards in front of the receiver. He was WIDE open without a defender within 30 yards of him.
Yep, we are talking about a different play.

They took one shot down their field in the second half. I forget who it was. He had a step on the defender. Overthrown by a couple steps.

It was at least a few series in to the 3rd or later, because my blood pressure was down and my pulse rate was heading back to normal. I think it was a 1st or second down go-for-the-throat kind of play. Maybe after the last interception? I had 5o watch the second half on DVr after a wedding. A bit hazy on details.

I like your assessment. Really hard to tell what we learned from that game. It does seem the secondary knows that they are doing. Hard to really tell about the D line since Indy was on their wheels from the get go. Other than we knew they were going to pass a lot, and when they did run...they didn't get much.

Offensively, other than that 4th and 2 (which I do not believe they actually gained) the offense never "had" to do much. So, they didn't do much. We didn't see much. I guess other than showing the wildcat and the end around.
That was to Charlie Moore and Petras had a rusher in his face and couldn't step into the throw.

My initial thought is that Jack Campbell seemed to have a quiet game (stats may tell a different story than eye test) and we still dominated on D.

Campbell may be our best defensive player, if not one of our two best players period, and one of our two best pro prospects.

Don't forget the pass to Tracy when he was WIDE open in the flat...closest defender was 30 yards away. Petras almost went Full Christensen on that pass.
Yup and another to IKM when he rolled to his left a little. He threw that ball strait into the ground like JC used to. He woulda had 20 plus yards on that one too but he threw it short like 5 yards. Those were embarrasing misses for a D1 qb I think...

My initial thoughts are what a difference home field advantage can be. That crowd and environment had Indiana beat before they stepped on the field. Once it was 14 to zip like it was it was over. They had zero confidence. Pennix wasn't the runner I thought he might be (must not be fully healed? I dunno) but they seemed to try picking on Moss and he just burned em. He got his hands on a couple other passes too besides his picks. Hell we dropped a couple others along with the one called back it was almost as epic of a day a secondary could have. Mostly chalked up to how good they are and Phil Parker. But also to the fans. After Goodsons TD that place was a mad house and it didn't seem to let up

Pretty good in the first half? He damn near missed Tracy who was WIDE open and then badly under threw him when he did finally see him. He missed a wide open LaPorta at least twice in the first half.
When, if ever, in a football game has a QB from any team been even 65% at a game you've attended in person? The best ever in cfb was last year. Bama's qb was 77%. Before that, an OK qb had the record with 68%.

65% is a lights out college qb. 65% to 57% is the difference between a qb that wins 30 games over 3 years and one that wins 24. It's the difference between 3100 yds and 2300 yds in a season.

Petras is OK. All Iowa needs is OK to win the West. You can forget about beating OSU in indy, unless two of their backs get hurt.

Other than Goodson's big run the offense was mediocre. Defense on the other hand had no problem handling Indiana's offense.

Petras, happy feet in the pocket. Not relaxed. Anxious. And this was with a average pass rush. Iowa State will bring constant pressure from different directions. Petras will be seeing different looks every play. This week is going to be a major test for Petras and the offensive line.

Yup and another to IKM when he rolled to his left a little. He threw that ball strait into the ground like JC used to. He woulda had 20 plus yards on that one too but he threw it short like 5 yards. Those were embarrasing misses for a D1 qb I think...

Yes that was bad technique or lack of it and Petras had scrambled to that location and he just didnt take that split second to correctly turn his hips and shoulders. Not sure if he thought he was going to get tackled or not

He has made that throw correctly before. Last year he would rush that throw but also about 75% of the time get turned and make that throw.

It is like when I coached my son as a catcher and working past ball drills. at first he would grab the ball and fling it before being ready. I told him to take that split second to get his feet in position with his shoulders and hips turned because you can throw harder and more accurately and he got 100% better at it .

Yes that was bad technique or lack of it and Petras had scrambled to that location and he just didnt take that split second to correctly turn his hips and shoulders. Not sure if he thought he was going to get tackled or not

He has made that throw correctly before. Last year he would rush that throw but also about 75% of the time get turned and make that throw.

It is like when I coached my son as a catcher and working past ball drills. at first he would grab the ball and fling it before being ready. I told him to take that split second to get his feet in position with his shoulders and hips turned because you can throw harder and more accurately and he got 100% better at it .
That's also what's frustrating about it. I bet in practice he hits that 10 out of 10 times. I'm not sure he if just flat out rushed it because he was hearing ghosts but he had the space and time to have easily set himself up to throw that.

The one he completed to Tracy he was just late on. Had he done it sooner prior to rusher getting closer I think he'd have hit him so he could run with it. That was as much on timing as it was his technique.

Just read Chad L’s article on Hawk Central. He took time to analyze the game on film and does a really good job of capturing key points. Give it a read.

Latest posts