Initial Game thoughts

longtimer

Indiana was really bad especially their all Big Ten QB
Iowa defense was very good! Big Plays win football games
Iowa offense was not very good
Petras was not good

This was a big game. Next week we are expected to lose. I like being the underdog. Regardless we have a very good start to winning the west with Wisconsin and Minnesota going down

Iowa State will do a lot of blitzing next week

Iowa's offense may need some work but I can still see Iowa jumping as high as #11 in polls as well as Iowa taking over as the new favorite in the Big Ten West.

But in the end, it will be the defense that carries Iowa. The DB's are very good. The defensive line looked good against Indy but the true tests are still coming against the good running teams.

I need film to see if our WRs stink or Petras stinks
One of their corners is an all American, saying that, when they moved him over to laporta is when the passing game stopped working.

I think it will be a week to week thing depending on match ups, but I do think Tracy and Ragaini are better in the slot and hope one of the younger guys can step up outside

Iowa's offense may need some work but I can still see Iowa jumping as high as #11 in polls as well as Iowa taking over as the new favorite in the Big Ten West.

But in the end, it will be the defense that carries Iowa. The DB's are very good. The defensive line looked good against Indy but the true tests are still coming against the good running teams.
Indiana's d was probably top half of the league but their o line was probably bottom 1/3

From my view from the stands....I thought Iowa did not look exactly crisp on offense, but for playing a ranked conference opponent to start the year, it was far from bad. Petras did not get this feet under him on one throw on the run that would have been a touchdown. A receiver makes a catch for a first down late in the game and if he does not lose his feet he runs easily for 6. We have a couple of fumbles with one of them likely taking another score off the board.

Iowa had such a big lead they may have been holding back some in that 2nd half.

Iowa will jump two maybe 3 points in the polls. Penix wasn't ready this game mentally or physically.

Over all it looked like Iowa was ready for the game. Indiana looked like a team that needed a tune up game to get ready. The defense dominated. There were bright spots on offense, Spencer wasn't great. He was adequate. He will have to get a lot better for Iowa to win the West. Very few penalties. That's a huge plus

Petras missed some throws, especially in the second half. First half, I thought he was pretty good overall. There were also some drops. The O-Line kept him clean for the most part. Against a blitzing team like Indiana, I thought that was a key to this game. The biggest thing about the offense is that with a 14-0 led 3 minutes into the game and 31-3 at half, you weren't going to see a lot of risky plays. I don't remember us going deep once in this game although I could be wrong on that.
Defense was outstanding. The most encouraging thing of the entire game for me was the play of the D-Line. Stopped the run pretty well and even though they didn't have a lot of sacks, they were able to pressure Penix enough to make him hurry throws and be uncomfortable all day.

I agree 11 sounds about right. A lot of teams in front of them lost. And your right about Spence. He won't have to do a lot to win games for this team, but when he does have to play well, can he is the question.

I don't remember us going deep once in this game although I could be wrong on that.
They took one shot down their field in the second half. I forget who it was. He had a step on the defender. Overthrown by a couple steps.

It was at least a few series in to the 3rd or later, because my blood pressure was down and my pulse rate was heading back to normal. I think it was a 1st or second down go-for-the-throat kind of play. Maybe after the last interception? I had 5o watch the second half on DVr after a wedding. A bit hazy on details.

I like your assessment. Really hard to tell what we learned from that game. It does seem the secondary knows that they are doing. Hard to really tell about the D line since Indy was on their wheels from the get go. Other than we knew they were going to pass a lot, and when they did run...they didn't get much.

Offensively, other than that 4th and 2 (which I do not believe they actually gained) the offense never "had" to do much. So, they didn't do much. We didn't see much. I guess other than showing the wildcat and the end around.

Riley Moss > the whole state of Indiana. Defense was dominant. Offense seemed stuck in neutral. Opening game nerves. O line will get better. Benson and Campbell are ballers. Defense will keep us in every game.

Petras missed some throws, especially in the second half. First half, I thought he was pretty good overall. There were also some drops. The O-Line kept him clean for the most part. Against a blitzing team like Indiana, I thought that was a key to this game. The biggest thing about the offense is that with a 14-0 led 3 minutes into the game and 31-3 at half, you weren't going to see a lot of risky plays. I don't remember us going deep once in this game although I could be wrong on that.
Defense was outstanding. The most encouraging thing of the entire game for me was the play of the D-Line. Stopped the run pretty well and even though they didn't have a lot of sacks, they were able to pressure Penix enough to make him hurry throws and be uncomfortable all day.
Pretty good in the first half? He damn near missed Tracy who was WIDE open and then badly under threw him when he did finally see him. He missed a wide open LaPorta at least twice in the first half.

Don't forget the pass to Tracy when he was WIDE open in the flat...closest defender was 30 yards away. Petras almost went Full Christensen on that pass.
He didn’t even see him until he was chased out of the pocket.

There was another play, I think it was a pass to Goodson, it was a completion but had Petras hit him in stride it would have been an easy touchdown.

Pretty good in the first half? He damn near missed Tracy who was WIDE open and then badly under threw him when he did finally see him. He missed a wide open LaPorta at least twice in the first half.
I was at the game and have not watched the replay so I will know more then. But I believe the Tracy underthrow was the third quarter, possibly fourth. You could be correct about the LaPorta misses in the first half. But I stand by what I said earlier that I thought his first half was pretty good overall. We'll have to agree to disagree on that point.

I just watched the 1st half due to a wedding 1 1/2 hours from home. I thought Petras looked very good in that half. I saw accuracy I didnt see last year. He overcame drops, which I worried about. I would say our WRs were the bigger isuue than Petras.

I will watch the replay today and see if I am wrong.

Latest posts