Inherient FLAW with any playoff system

How long will the football playoff system remain with only 4 teams? Will the playoff expand to 8 - to 16 teams in the near future? How about 64 as the ratings skyrocket for the playoff games?

Probably. This 4-team playoff is just the start of things, I'm sure.

Yawn. Why not let the defending champion get a "bye" all the way to the final/championship game, a la "Karate Kid: Part III"?

Maybe this is the wrong board for this, but as Ric Flair used to say "To be the best, you gotta beat the best." Sorry, but when Georges went down, eventual champion UConn didn't beat the best. Iowa State could have marched through that bracket and won the tournament handily.

[video=youtube_share;9fWvub_WBho]http://youtu.be/9fWvub_WBho[/video]

Guess you don't care that the national basketball champion crowned with the NCAA Final Four tournament may not actually be the best overall team this season...

I hope this isn't a newsflash for you. Personally, I trace my realization of this to the 1975 Indiana team. Houston 1983, Georgetown 1985, etc, merely bolstered the realization.

In other news, 1972 Redskins want another crack at the Dolphins...

So the NCAA gives a trophy to the team winning its Final Four tournament because the team is a winner of the Final Four tournament.. period? Is there a trophy (or at least an acknowledgement) for the best overall team for the season?

Yes. It's called the Number One Overall Seed for the NCAA tournament.

This thread is proof that we can ***** at anything and everything.

Leave it alone, it is the best Championship in College sports.

Maybe this is the wrong board for this, but as Ric Flair used to say "To be the best, you gotta beat the best." Sorry, but when Georges went down, eventual champion UConn didn't beat the best. Iowa State could have marched through that bracket and won the tournament handily.

You dreaming again?

"To BE The Man...you have to BEAT The Man....WOOOOOOO!"

And yes, Niang going down killed ISUs long-range tourney chances...and yet, Michigan got to a regional final sans McGarry. Things happen.

The idea that anyone would consider a different format from one thats been so successful is just insane.

Winning tournaments is college basketball. The regular season doesn't matter that much and thats fine.

We love college football because it's do or die every single week.

We love college basketball because you could (theoretically) be 0-16 in a mid major conference and win the national championship (again, theoretically!) - it ain't over till it's over!

If you *really* want to determine scientifically who the best team is, I think you would be best serve to use some sort of statistical based model (like Sagarin) that considers a team's entire body of work...but good luck selling tickets for that!

This is simple.....The winner of the NCAA basketball tournament should simply be referred to as the NCAA tournament champion, not the "national champion..... Problem solved.

We love college basketball because you could (theoretically) be 0-16 in a mid major conference and win the national championship (again, theoretically!) - it ain't over till it's over!

If you *really* want to determine scientifically who the best team is, I think you would be best serve to use some sort of statistical based model (like Sagarin) that considers a team's entire body of work...but good luck selling tickets for that!
I'm not talking about statistics, here. Every game in the Final Four tournament must be won or lost... legitimately. When a, for instance, 15 seed beats a 2 seed, the tournament is potentially all out of whack. Especially if the losing team/higher seeded team had injuries or a bad shooting night.

Since there are 4 regions, the lowest seeded team is a 16 seed not 64.

If the 15 seed had suddenly and legitimately caught fire I wouldn't have any problem with their advancement in the tournament. Their next game would be a legitimate test for the higher seed
.... and the last team standing in this type of tournament format would provide a legitimate champion.
An NCAA champion. Not a Final Four champion.

Last edited:

Flamer.

This thread is proof that we can ***** at anything and everything.

Leave it alone, it is the best Championship in College sports.

Agreed. Its 3 weekends of absolutely captivating sports drama.

With that said, I wouldn't be against the tourney re-seeding after each weekend. I don't think you could re-seed each round as it would require the whole region to be playing in the same location that weekend. That would probably be a nightmare trying to organize that many teams/games, and tickets for each program, and also practice accommodations as well.

Pod system as is now. The bracket would hold true for field of 64 and 32 games.....then re-seed and send them to their next regional destination.
Just for the hell of it the sweet 16 match-ups this year would have been....

South: Florida vs Dayton. UCLA vs Stanford
East: Virginia vs UCONN. ISU vs MSU
West: Arizona vs Baylor. Wisconsin vs San Diego St
Midwest: Michigan vs Kentucky. Louisville vs Tennessee

You decide if that's any better or worse than what we had.

The way I see it is college football is do or die every single week...until halfway through the year where all but a handful of teams have already died. The last half of the year is meaningless for the rest of the teams. Now if they had a 16 team playoff I think that would make the regular season MORE meaningful than it is now. Instead of a few teams playing for something, 25-30 teams would still be playing for something.

In basketball there are probably 50 teams playing for something late in the year (not including conference tournaments). Some are playing to get into the tournament and some are playing to improve their seed. If you didn't have the tournament, all but a handful of teams would be playing a meaningless last half of the season.

This is simple.....The winner of the NCAA basketball tournament should simply be referred to as the NCAA tournament champion, not the "national champion..... Problem solved.

But isn't the NCAA tournament considered a "national tournament"? In my opinion the tournament winner is the last man standing after a field of very quality programs and conference champions are eliminated one by one. I don't see anything wrong with it based on the fact that the top team at the end of the season hasn't played or had the opportunity to prove themselves vs. the best teams in the nation.

With that said, I wouldn't be against the tourney re-seeding after each weekend. I don't think you could re-seed each round as it would require the whole region to be playing in the same location that weekend. That would probably be a nightmare trying to organize that many teams/games, and tickets for each program, and also practice accommodations as well.

Pod system as is now. The bracket would hold true for field of 64 and 32 games.....then re-seed and send them to their next regional destination.

My problem with reseeding is that your constantly hand picking/paving the way for the higher seeded teams. I just don't think its fair for, say a 15 seed, to beat a two seed and then find themselves getting bumped face a one seed in the next round. The tournament is already set up favorably for the top seeds (if seeded properly) by matching them with the weakest teams early on. How much more do you need to stack the deck.

Want to make it really interesting, turn it in to a game of chance and randomly draw the match ups out of a hat and do away with seeding all together.

But isn't the NCAA tournament considered a "national tournament"? In my opinion the tournament winner is the last man standing after a field of very quality programs and conference champions are eliminated one by one. I don't see anything wrong with it based on the fact that the top team at the end of the season hasn't played or had the opportunity to prove themselves vs. the best teams in the nation.

You are correct that it is a national event. I attend games at some level of the tournament every year, thoroughly love it and wouldn't want to change any aspect of it. But it's not the correct format for choosing a national champion. A tournament to choose a true national champion wouldn't use a one & done format, wouldn't include any automatic qualifiers and certainly would not require the participation of (68) teams. The current structure is designed to generate maximum public interest and it does a very good job of that.

My problem with reseeding is that your constantly hand picking/paving the way for the higher seeded teams. I just don't think its fair for, say a 15 seed, to beat a two seed and then find themselves getting bumped face a one seed in the next round. The tournament is already set up favorably for the top seeds (if seeded properly) by matching them with the weakest teams early on. How much more do you need to stack the deck.

Want to make it really interesting, turn it in to a game of chance and randomly draw the match ups out of a hat and do away with seeding all together.
So, you want to stack the deck for the lesser teams... You want to handicap lesser teams (even the competition against better competition) 'cause they aren't as good. Hum... IMO, a national champion won't be determined with that kind of format. Better TV will, however.

It is hard enough to win the Billion dollar bracket...no need to re-seed

Latest posts