Indiana will decline NIT bid

longtimer

I expect we will accept one. Frankly it is a silly tournament and like some silly bowl games should be discontinued. I guess I don't care much one way or the other.

Not silly for those whose CBB careers are coming to a close and appreciate playing a little more basketball. Not silly for the right team to get some experience and use it to build on as some teams have in the past. Some fans appreciate another game to go to. Not the big dance but also not the CBI. Not that important or popular but why silly? So silly you aren't gonna watch the Hawks game?? Gonna do something else instead? Season over?

The possibility of playing at Madison Square Garden is something these young guys would remember. I really like the men on this year's team, but I don't expect the Hawks to get there. Perkins and Freeman seem to be running out of gas at the end of the season, and the past couple weeks I've seen some teams that didn't make the NCAA that looked really, really good.

Fran has already stated that they would accept a bid. That could always change, tho.

Let Indiana decline. They need to accept that their glory days are long, long, long behind them. The only Indiana team I give two shits about is in the WNBA

Wisconsin made a nice NIT run last year, added Storr in the portal, and parlayed that into a return to the NCAA'S this season. And darn near stole the automatic bid.

I love these schools who think they are too good for the NIT. Your record says otherwise.

I think any team is silly not to accept it, especially a young team like Iowa who just needs experience. Plus, I assume the school gets the gate. What is the downside of playing? Tournaments are fun, and you might get to MSG if you win a a few game. Exactly what is wrong with that experience for a young BB player?

Come on Indiana, you have not been relevant in basketball since Nebraska was relevant in football. Get over yourself.

I love these schools who think they are too good for the NIT. Your record says otherwise.

I think any team is silly not to accept it, especially a young team like Iowa who just needs experience. Plus, I assume the school gets the gate. What is the downside of playing? Tournaments are fun, and you might get to MSG if you win a a few game. Exactly what is wrong with that experience for a young BB player?

Come on Indiana, you have not been relevant in basketball since Nebraska was relevant in football. Get over yourself.
The only upside I can see to not playing is that it could give coaches a head start in recruiting and checking into the transfer portal.

If that is true than the tail is truly wagging the dog, and the portal is truly out of control. The NCAA may need to declare a no contact rule until the tournaments are over and give the coaches who do choose to play a level playing field with those who dont.

Dum dums will miss out on team building. From a fan perspective I’d rather watch Iowa in NIT then any other team in the ncaa’s.

Indiana is the men's basketball version of Nebraska Football
Exactly - and making decisions like these, are a lot like Nebraska would and has done for the last 2 decades. They can't get out of their own way because their ego is still as big as it was 30 years ago. It's a chance to compete, it's a chance to get better. I get that there are other area's they want to focus, but I'd argue if you need that time to work the portal, (either saving kids from joining it or trying to recruit kids in it) - I'd say, even in today's NIL world, you're priorities aren't straight and you likely have a weak program that is pretty fragile.

Latest posts