Indiana Crowd

Per the NCAA website Indiana was in the top 10 in the nation in attendance last year. I know that is tickets sold, but that is great fan support for a team that was horrible the last few years.

It puzzles me why are student section is so small compared to most teams . I watch numerous games each week and I see alot of average teams no better than Iowa who put our student section to shame. Cmon students ; no excuses ; Iowa deserves better !!

The reason IU sells out is basketball is the top sport in Indiana and the Hoosiers are the top draw. Trying to compare IU basketball and Iowa basketball is like comparing Iowa football with IU football not the same.

It is true that the level of support are not the same. Also Assembly Hall at IU is a bit more centrally located than CHA on UofI's campus.

JM makes a good point about time of game and recent attendance at IU, however a point against Jon's rationale is the fact that compared to IU, CHA is incredibly easy and convenient to attend. Getting in and out of IU's sports complex as a commuter is pure hell, and it is a credit to IU fans for piling in year after mediocre year.

I have been back to CHA for basketball games the past few years, and still don't understand why attendance is as down as much as it is (ease of TV and the couch?), especially from the student's standpoint. Even in the lean years, I thought going to CHA was an incredibly fun and inviting atmosphere, where I felt very comfortable taking my young family, and just getting the heck out of the house for a night in a wonderful facility. I hope it picks up now that the program really does look like it has found the correct path in their new Head Coach, talent, and facilities. The game yesterday, for me, was a touch stone moment for my support of the basketball program. I was walking mighty tall in my Black and Gold last night in Indianapolis, and I'm only 5'9"...

Go Hawks.

Getting in and out of IU's sports complex as a commuter is pure hell, and it is a credit to IU fans for piling in year after mediocre year. Go Hawks.

Agree 100% about CHA being easy to get to. For men's games for example, you can park at Hancher and ride the Cambus directly to the north entrance. It's easy, free and convenient.

Last edited:
Indiana has no history of success in any men's sports.

Obviously you've never heard of their swimming and diving program:

The Hoosiers have won the fifth-most NCAA Championships and their 23 Big Ten crowns ranks second in the conference's 90-year history. Indiana University has produced 79 individual swimming and diving champions, 191 Big Ten swimming champions, 24 conference diving champions and has won 45 Big Ten relay events. The 79 national champions ranks third among Big Ten schools while the individual Big Ten diving, relay and individual swimming crowns all rank second among the 11 conference schools. The success goes well beyond the Big Ten and the NCAA Championship as is evidenced by the eight straight U.S. National Diving Championships that Indiana divers have won.

Last edited:
The College section will improve with the product, Barta has learned some hard lessons in the past 5-7 years, students wiil start supporting better when the prices are lower, the team has more wins, the style is more fun to watch, and we have more athletic teams to watch. I love what MSU and Duke does and surrounds the court with students!

I can't justify buying season tickets because I only end up making it to a couple weekend games a year, and maybe a HUGE weeknight game if a team like OSU comes to town. but the fact is...I don't need season tickets because I can walk up to the ticket counter and buy them on my way in. not a big deal at all...

And I've always said ring the court with the students it's AWESOME at Duke and MSU I believe.

Given the incapable, stagnant marketing efforts from Iowa the only shot this program has in getting the fan base back to CHA is to continue winning and over-achieving. More half-court alley opps won't hurt either....

Indiana just beat their first ranked opponent in the Crean era a few days ago, like Jon said. However, with little or no reason to fill the arena for the past 2 season, for the most part they have done so. Someone is marketing the hell out of that program, selling hope like none other, getting the students involved right down near the court, etc.

Where is that with Iowa basketball?

HoosierDaddy.png

She was having fun...

And I've always said ring the court with the students it's AWESOME at Duke and MSU I believe.

and Penn State and Illinois and Michigan and Ohio State and the list goes on.

All of those schools have their students on or immediately adjacent to the court in prime seats.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ag-iGo9DPvI&feature=related]YouTube - Inside The Maize Rage At Michigan[/ame]

It is the entitlement that elders in Iowa feel they deserve. They do not realize that college athletics should cater to... college students! Get the student body in there... let them have fun with it for F sakes. OLD PEOPLE SITTING ON HANDS on TV is bad! BAD BAD BAD... but they give us money? They are not contributors, they are seflish turds who look at the I-Club money list and add up what it takes to be on this so called social status of seating. Boo Iowa.... Boo... sick. Do what is right.

The best place for the old people to sit is across from the scoring table anyway. Student seating should be as close to the floor as possible and in plain view of cameras.
You want to sell the program. You want it to be exciting. This geritol popping, depends wearing, social security receiving, oatmeal cookie eating people who donate money shouldn't do it at the EXPENSE of our college students defeating the purpose/point of college athletics.
I-Club... get a freaking clue.

What we need to do is start taking pictures of them at the games instead of ignoring them. Then post the pictures on here... some of the photos would be hilarious. I actually seen an old lady working with yarn during a Hawkeye game.
Another great group of photos would be of the handicap parking lot and the people that are driving those cars. Perfectly fine old people. They get out of the car and hug the other old people and talk about their investments and how they are making big decisions with some committee that is making people mad and laughing about it before walking into the basketball game.
These are the same people who donate money to the I-Club so that they can get the prestigious seating... that is what they care about. On games they don't attend because they are at a jello eating convention they talk about their courtside seats while displaying their I-Club supporter pin.
The University caused this by making it so... what they should do is get nice seating on the opposite end and call it the "Platinum Prestige Hawkeye I-Club Membership Seating" and cater to them, but not in the front row, and not behind the players/scoretable. Let them be Kings and Queens, but not at the expense of the peasants... I mean student body.

Latest posts