In-State PG D.J. Carton Places Hawkeyes Among Top 6

Bettendorf standout has home-state Iowa among his top half dozen programs:

LINK
The fact that we don't have to compete with alot of the big boys [Kentucky, N. Car. , Duke etc...] is promising to me.

to me, it sorta feels like DJ has iowa in his top 6 because we're the home team. i've never really gotten any "i really love iowa" from him. i'm calling IU vs UM. I think IU. they're still a blue blood (sorta).

to me, it sorta feels like DJ has iowa in his top 6 because we're the home team. i've never really gotten any "i really love iowa" from him. i'm calling IU vs UM. I think IU. they're still a blue blood (sorta).

I'm thinking Michigan and Iowa if we can keep Coach K, Roy boy, and City Slicker out of the mix.

He sure is stringing Fran along if that's the case. Fran has been relentless in his pursuit of Carton so hope he reads the tea leaves that maybe Carton just isn't that into him and Iowa.

Why box himself into a corner? I have no insider information. But my gut tells me we're in the lead...especially with Wisconsin completely off the radar. And if we lose him at least we know Iowa is still ahead of Iowa State when it comes to in state talent.

I thought the podcast on this topic was interesting and depressing. the TL;DR of it seemed to be we need him badly for the future of the program and we're probably not getting him. Sounded pretty dismal from Miller and Deace.

I'm just paraphrasing what I heard. If you take issue with that, take it up with Jon and Steve.

I kinda think your right on the IU/UM being up there for him. I don't think we are in top 6 just because we are closest to home. We've been in on him from the git go and coaches have been after him as much as they can be. It's just a matter of what's he looking for? I'm just glad Wisky and ISU aren't on it... I won't be happy if he goes to another BIG school either but I'd be a tad more burnt if he were to have chosen Wisky or ISU... I think we have a punchers chance yet so we'll see

I kinda think your right on the IU/UM being up there for him. I don't think we are in top 6 just because we are closest to home. We've been in on him from the git go and coaches have been after him as much as they can be. It's just a matter of what's he looking for? I'm just glad Wisky and ISU aren't on it... I won't be happy if he goes to another BIG school either but I'd be a tad more burnt if he were to have chosen Wisky or ISU... I think we have a punchers chance yet so we'll see
FWIW I looked at the 247 site and all of them are projecting Michigan which was a bit surprising
Bottom line is we better start recruiting Chicago Detroit and Kansas City. Depending on In State ain't going to make it

He’s the missing piece. I think he sees that. Iowa has high level talent coming to pair w Garza but yet the kind that will stick around for 4 years. That’s how you win at programs like IA, WI and ISU for that matter. IN’s high level talent wont stay. Hard to blame the kid if he chooses MI (2 NT games in the last 6) but it would be painful if he chose IN.

FWIW I looked at the 247 site and all of them are projecting Michigan which was a bit surprising
Bottom line is we better start recruiting Chicago Detroit and Kansas City. Depending on In State ain't going to make it
The Michigan lean would be surprising to me but only out of my ignorance. I haven't read anything on his level of interest in them beyond them being in his top 6. Indiana I've read about his interest in them for awhile so that's not surprising to me. Michigan is coming off a final 4 and coach B up there has things rolling. So that shouldn't be a huge surprise either if they are full on after him too. Iowa's got a couple other PGs as their plan B and Cs too. I really like the DSM North kid who's yet to get a big D1 offer. But Iowa's going to let Carton make his decision before making any other major ones.

I posted this on the recruiting thread... but it's probably more appropriate here.

I think I'm more optimistic about landing DJ than most fans are. One thing I would like more info on.. Why did he choose to stay with the QC Elite instead of jumping ship to a more prominent AAU program? If continuity, location, and friendships were a deciding factor in that decision, I can only imagine that those values would be weighed heavily when deciding on a school, therefore giving Iowa a major step above other programs.

He likes Michigan a lot and that was an offer he wanted. He received it when Beilein visited him at his home last month.

I'd imagine if Fran can't land either Terry or Carton, he'll put all his effort into point guards in the '20 class. Just my opinion.

Latest posts