In order to understand why the offense isn't working, watch the D

storminspank

Justin VanLaere
I'm not going to get into it now, I'm getting ready to head off on a trip, but I want to say this... if you are looking to see why Iowa offense struggles in some games (MN/Ill) and looks ok (OSU/Ind) in others, just watch the D. Don't even look at the offensive movement, screens, etc... just watch the defenders and how they play, where they are spaced, how they play the screens, switches, etc... there are glaring differences between the defenses that Iowa looks good against and those that they struggle against, regardless if the shots are falling or not.

I'm not going to get into it now, I'm getting ready to head off on a trip, but I want to say this... if you are looking to see why Iowa offense struggles in some games (MN/Ill) and looks ok (OSU/Ind) in others, just watch the D. Don't even look at the offensive movement, screens, etc... just watch the defenders and how they play, where they are spaced, how they play the screens, switches, etc... there are glaring differences between the defenses that Iowa looks good against and those that they struggle against, regardless if the shots are falling or not.

I think that is pretty obvious that some Ds cause them to look so bad that they look like deer in headlights. Aren't comfortable yet on how to react/change.

I'm almost beyond being interested in the "why." The one immutable truth is that in three years Lickliter's team has an absolutely abysmal record.

I agree. Isn't that part of the scouting report on a team? I mean, we play each of these teams twice, so the staff should have a pretty good understanding of how teams are going to defend. It would be nice to see some wrinkles thrown in on offense to maybe attack in a different way. It seems like an inability to adjust, and that falls on the coaching staff I think. You would think they could look at film of the first time the teams played and maybe find a way to adjust, but it definitely didn't happen.

We aren't going to win games like this unless we are shooting 40% from 3 pt range as a team.

Latest posts