Imagine CJ with this extra weapon: Gazette article

In fairness to Kirk... I'm not sure there is a single person that would have said they wanted Vandeberg to play over Willies.

Vandeberg leads the B1G in receptions per game. Obviously with Willies gone, we don't know what he would have done but this may be an example of Kirk knowing more than the fan base.

Nobody is going to get it right all the time. Ya win some, ya lose some.

True. Kirk's problem is, many of the ones "he loses" are the easy ones...both in games and player calls.

Vandeberg is this team's Ed Hinkle, rock solid. But it's a false choice to say it was either Vande or Willies...very different players. It's not an either/or decision like QB was.

Willies is a stretch the field kinda guy, problem was...we didn't play the QB that could/would stretch the field. It was the offensive philosophy and QB.

Last edited:
The thing is, no one knows what the rest of the players felt about it. It could just have easily been the leadership counsel coming to KF and telling him that they didn't want him back on the team.

We know this for a fact.....he has a history of transferring during his high school career and he left the team in midseason and since transferred again. I'll defer to KF and the team on this as I'm sure there was plenty going on behind closed doors that we were not privy to.

This really feels an awful lot like the CJ/JR thread. In fact... it IS the same.

He quit mid-season, he's not here now and won't be back here. Let it go.

Vandeberg has been terrific thus far. Why not write about the kids who are on the team, rather than one who chose to quit? My opinion of the CR Gazette just went down a few notches.

He quit... MIDSEASON!
He quit on the coaches.
He quit on his teammates.
He quit on himself - he missed out on the remainder of the season's time with the coaches and weight staff.

If I were on the team leadership council and was asked if they should let him comeback, I would say no.

I think this pretty well sums it up.

the kid quit as did Rudock ...

Comparing apples to oranges if you ask me. Rudock left after the season and after graduating and learning that he'd been passed on the depth chart by CJ.

Willies quit midseason of his second year on campus. Made some big plays and showed some potential, but never on a game to game basis.

Just my opinion, but Jake paid his dues and deserved a chance to end his college career on the field. Willies seemed impatient and IMO entitled and didn't feel the need to gradually earn his PT and quit midseason because he wasn't seeing the field.

I don't see any comparison between the two leaving other than the two of them are no longer Hawkeyes and the team seems just fine, probably even better, offensively without either of them.

the kid quit as did Rudock ...

While technically true that he quit, I have a hard time looking at it the same way.
To me Jake transferred and Willies quit. It is all about the timing of when they left.

Jake gave the program his all, then decided to chase greener pastures after the season.
Willies up and left in the middle of a season. He disrupted the team more by quiting when he did.

I have no problem with kids transferring at the end of a season as long as they give it their all while wearing the black and gold.

Willies just seems to be the kid who packed up his ball and left because he wasn't chosen first for kickball.

It is common for this web site to talk about kids on the team being young adults and responsible for their own actions. I am all in favor of that view. Jake and Willes both made decisions that they believed to be in their best interests. So be it. We can talk about the mistakes they made, or maybe they did not make a mistake in transferring. Think back to your own past: Did you make decisions (good or bad) that impacted on where you are today? If you did not, you are probably in the minority. I belong in the majority and take full responsibility for those actions.

Hope He does well at JUCO and at Tech, but I don't want him here. He quit and then wanted back. KF was willing to give him another shot, but DW wasn't even willing to take his medicine for quitting on his teammates.....So I say good luck elsewhere.

All I have to say about Willies is way to go. You blew an opportunity to be a part of a B10 team that's going to compete very well in their division. I imagine he's looking back with regret right about now. Even if he joins Texas Tech and has a decent D1 career they aren't going to do anything in the B12.

It's especially funny when you look at how much Kirk has changed. The offense is lining up with CJ in shotgun and 5 WR's with no TE's at times. They aren't showing any hesitation in letting CJ make plays. Young man made a really bad decision.

you really just said Texas A&M is in the BIG12...?

Lol...I don't know or care about why he quit or transferred, but I can tell you he dang well better have at least those numbers in that inflated league of no defense...please.... his team's scored over 58 points in all 5 games....that's about 8 touchdown for the team per game, some games 10 tds....so basically willies has avg 1 TD per game or 6 of roughly 40+ TDs for the five games....sounds pretty pedestrian to me... Again I'm not an apologist in any way, but seems someone at the CRGazette wanted to make some waves.

^^^^This topic was covered earlier in the thread. The CRGazette may realize, like many, that you play CJ/Willies the entire game against the Cyclones in 2014 and that is a W. You give CJ two pro wide receivers THIS year (Willies/Smith) and Iowa has a MUCH better chance at winning their division. I can't think of anything more lame than the posters on this board who have thousands of posts and most of those posts are the equivalent of "let it go". Empty posting styles from empty heads.

Here's a partial list of things I won't let go: Tim Dwight shaving his legs - Haydens 15 game win streak against the clones - the 1981 victory over the Huskers - Chuck Long all thru 1985 - the 2002 loss to the Cyclones - Coker getting railroaded - AIRBHG's evil - Kurt Warner not getting a sniff from Fry - 8 wins outa 17 tries against the Cyclones - Juxtaposing Evy the legendary coach with Evy the AD - 2010 Wisky game - Double-agent Jon Beutjer's successful secret mission to take down Illinois from within - 2010 Georgia Tech game - Tate to Holloway - Sanders the kid who nobody wanted - Scothawks awesome videos - Ronnie Harmon - 38-14 over Pac10 co-champion - People who tell me they know Hawkeye football and then predict 45-3 victories before every game - Bob Bowlsby - any female University President - Larry Station - Prof.s who can't handle the awesome pink locker-room - lifetime contracts - Tavian Banks - posters who say "I'm good with 7-6 as long as we play IOWA football" - 2002 to 2004 - 4 top 10 finishes in a decade - greed redefined as classy - coaching tears that made me misty - and a bunch of other things that you control freaks think shouldn't be posted because you see Hawkeye boards as free happy therapy meant to only reflect your fantasies rather than reality.

BTW, I'm psyched about 3-0 and can't wait for the rest of the season to unfold.

0e1c9f04ec1e28b776ffa87f3cacf83a.jpg

He quit... MIDSEASON!
He quit on the coaches.
He quit on his teammates.
He quit on himself - he missed out on the remainder of the season's time with the coaches and weight staff.

If I were on the team leadership council and was asked if they should let him comeback, I would say no.

Jake Rudock quit on his coaches and teammates also. And guess what? He did it for the exact same reason Willies did. No playing time. The difference is that JR played in 2014 when he shouldn't have been and DW didn't play when he should have been. The ISSUE is that our head coach wouldn't play one of our best players at his position, but played the second best player at another position. I can only presume that blind loyalty prevents some folks from not searching for a root cause of the dysfunction found in this program the past many seasons. Last years team was divided because of who was and wasn't playing. This is understood, right? Let's not have a 3-0 start to 2015 rewrite history.

If he were an 11 year old who quit his flag football team I'd say he should have been welcomed back. But this is major college football and he should have worn his big boy pants and handled it in a more mature fashion. Don't blame Kirk and his staff whatsoever.

If he were an 11 year old who quit his flag football team I'd say he should have been welcomed back. But this is major college football and he should have worn his big boy pants and handled it in a more mature fashion. Don't blame Kirk and his staff whatsoever.

There are two completely separate points to make:

1) kfootball screwed up and didn't play DW when he should have.
2) DW handled it immaturely.

However, without #1, you don't have #2. Capisce?

I do find it very interesting that so many Iowa fans are wishing JR well and never even considered him a quitter, when that is exactly what he did.

Quitting mid season is something you're taught to not do when you're a kid as a lesson to finish what you start. Other than the valuable lesson it teaches you as a kid, there is no reason that quitting mid season hurts your team worse than quitting at the end of the season. You quit on your team either way. Willies was easy to replace last year because he wasn't playing anyway. He's not easy to replace this year.

People need to get off their high horse about when he quit. He didn't do some crazy dis service to his team. All it means is he doesn't have the greatest core values. Big whoop.

Jake Rudock quit on his coaches and teammates also. And guess what? He did it for the exact same reason Willies did. No playing time. The difference is that JR played in 2014 when he shouldn't have been and DW didn't play when he should have been. The ISSUE is that our head coach wouldn't play one of our best players at his position, but played the second best player at another position. I can only presume that blind loyalty prevents some folks from not searching for a root cause of the dysfunction found in this program the past many seasons. Last years team was divided because of who was and wasn't playing. This is understood, right? Let's not have a 3-0 start to 2015 rewrite history.

Wow, speaking of re writing history. DW was getting playing time, he was behind the players who were clearly better than him (KMM and Smith) and he was part of a group of 4 other players rotating into the game (Powell, Hillyer, Vandeberg, and DW). During the Purdue game it was clear he didn't have a grasp of the O, as he ran multiple routes wrong and it was either Morehouse or Docherman who said they were on the sidelines at Purdue and he was asking MV and other WR where he was supposed to be etc. Then he got injured and was limited. While he was still limited he quit.

He was getting playing time, but it was cleare he felt like you do and that more playing time should have been just GIVEN to him because he was 6'5 and fast, and not because he had separated from other and earned the time. Such is life tho, many believe that things should just be given, and not earned.

Latest posts