Imagine CJ with this extra weapon: Gazette article

Welll....Looking at those box scores and games kind of silly games being played down there.

I'm not saying he probably wouldn't be of use... but those statistics are way skewed.

If I was basing my opinion on the Juco, I would agree. I'm thinkin more of what I saw while he was at Iowa, 2014 spring game included. I guess we'll find out the truth after he joins Texas Tech.

He quit... MIDSEASON!
He quit on the coaches.
He quit on his teammates.
He quit on himself - he missed out on the remainder of the season's time with the coaches and weight staff.

If I were on the team leadership council and was asked if they should let him comeback, I would say no.

Lol...I don't know or care about why he quit or transferred, but I can tell you he dang well better have at least those numbers in that inflated league of no defense...please.... his team's scored over 58 points in all 5 games....that's about 8 touchdown for the team per game, some games 10 tds....so basically willies has avg 1 TD per game or 6 of roughly 40+ TDs for the five games....sounds pretty pedestrian to me... Again I'm not an apologist in any way, but seems someone at the CRGazette wanted to make some waves.

Duzey is our extra weapon (although, one of the freshmen steeping up would be nice!), let's hope it happens soon!!

Willies obviously has issues that he needs to address. Best of luck to him in the future.

All I have to say about Willies is way to go. You blew an opportunity to be a part of a B10 team that's going to compete very well in their division. I imagine he's looking back with regret right about now. Even if he joins Texas Tech and has a decent D1 career they aren't going to do anything in the B12.

It's especially funny when you look at how much Kirk has changed. The offense is lining up with CJ in shotgun and 5 WR's with no TE's at times. They aren't showing any hesitation in letting CJ make plays. Young man made a really bad decision.

All I have to say about Willies is way to go. You blew an opportunity to be a part of a B10 team that's going to compete very well in their division. I imagine he's looking back with regret right about now. Even if he joins Texas Tech and has a decent D1 career they aren't going to do anything in the B12.

It's especially funny when you look at how much Kirk has changed. The offense is lining up with CJ in shotgun and 5 WR's with no TE's at times. They aren't showing any hesitation in letting CJ make plays. Young man made a really bad decision.

To be fair to Willies, NOBODY saw that coming.

Wish we still had him but I really don't judge Kirk or the staff on personnel issues or things of this nature because I have no insight into the program. I have no idea who is a good teammate, who works hard at practice, who is a leader.

As fans there are so many intangibles or things we don't see/understand. For example, sure it's easy to say CJB would have won more games last year than Jake but for some reason Kirk didn't pull the trigger last year. Call my crazy, but I can't see any reason why Kirk doesn't want to win or would intentionally play guys that he feels don't give him the best chance.

So anyways, I know it's fun to speculate but I guess the above is just my personal theory.

Wish we still had him but I really don't judge Kirk or the staff on personnel issues or things of this nature because I have no insight into the program. I have no idea who is a good teammate, who works hard at practice, who is a leader.

As fans there are so many intangibles or things we don't see/understand. For example, sure it's easy to say CJB would have won more games last year than Jake but for some reason Kirk didn't pull the trigger last year. Call my crazy, but I can't see any reason why Kirk doesn't want to win or would intentionally play guys that he feels don't give him the best chance.

So anyways, I know it's fun to speculate but I guess the above is just my personal theory.

There are no reasons why Kirk wouldn't want to win and there are no reasons why he would play guys that he feels don't give him the best chance to win. There is one big reason though as to why he would be incorrect on who he feels gives him the best chance to win. Fear of change.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nobody doubts that Kirk THINKS he always plays the guys that give him the best chance. However many believe he's sometimes wrong in his judgment. (last year's QB being exhibit 1A) He also THINKS playing "not to lose" is the best approach. Once again, this year has shown that it's a game for play makers...not play avoiders. And though it's a bit late, he deserves credit for apparently seeing the light and making changes.

While it's true that Willies bailed in midseason, which is bad form... one has to wonder
1.) would he have stayed if things were done more last year, like they are this year. and
2.) was his departure among the contributing factors to Kirk's big change (I say it was, perhaps indirectly...Willies leaving mirrors pretty closely how many fans were reacting to the program's direction)

That said, he's gone. Fine. I hope we get to see one of our other promising young WRs (J Smith or Ogow) play Saturday. We've got some talent.

Last edited:
I think it's time to just let this go. He is gone lets move on. Have to trust the coaching staff with these situations. Team chemistry seems to be MUCH better this year and I believe is a big part of why we are 3-0. We've had more talented teams with no chemistry that have been huge disappointments. If him being off the team helped us gain the chemistry we have now then I 100% agree with the decision. All we know is he quit, but who knows what other selfish things he pulled or what his work ethic was like. I'm guessing someone who quits mid-season on his team probably isn't the best teammate on a daily basis either. Enjoy the great group of high character guys we have right now and GO HAWKS!!!!

Didn't Willies quit?

What are the coaches supposed to do about that? There are, what, over 80 other players on the team that didn't quit that year?

Let it go. This is your team.

A great coach once said the following, the gist of which rings true in this case, as well:

I would hope you would support who we are. Not, who we are not. These six individuals have made a choice to work, a choice to sacrifice, to put themselves on the line 23 nights for the next 4 months, to represent you, this high school. That kind of commitment and effort deserves and demands your respect. This is your team.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nobody doubts that Kirk THINKS he always plays the guys that give him the best chance. However many believe he's sometimes wrong in his judgment. (last year's QB being exhibit 1A) He also THINKS playing "not to lose" is the best approach. Once again, this year has shown that it's a game for play makers...not play avoiders. And though it's a bit late, he deserves credit for apparently seeing the light and making changes.

While it's true that Willies bailed in midseason, which is bad form... one has to wonder
1.) would he have stayed if things were done more last year, like they are this year. and
2.) was his departure among the contributing factors to Kirk's big change (I say it was, perhaps indirectly...Willies leaving mirrors pretty closely how many fans were reacting to the program's direction)

That said, he's gone. Fine. I hope we get to see one of our other promising young WRs (J Smith or Ogow) play Saturday. We've got some talent.

In fairness to Kirk... I'm not sure there is a single person that would have said they wanted Vandeberg to play over Willies.

Vandeberg leads the B1G in receptions per game. Obviously with Willies gone, we don't know what he would have done but this may be an example of Kirk knowing more than the fan base.

Nobody is going to get it right all the time. Ya win some, ya lose some.

He has talent. But he's no longer on the team, and not likely to return. And that's all I have to say about that.

Latest posts