Imagine CJ with this extra weapon: Gazette article

This is only saying that there are different levels of quitting, which is not true. If we had JR as backup this season we would be loaded with depth at qb. But JR chose to quit on his teammates because he was no longer going to be the starter. You can bang the drum about the timing of the quitting, but is only one level of quit.

I call BS here. You make the straw man argument that JR "owed" it to the team to stay as back-up for depth. You have no idea whether or not he was "encouraged" to seek other opportunities. You have no idea if he was told other QBS would leap-frog him. And you assume that because pretty much EVERY person that wanted him gone voiced it--ad nauseum--that he would have gotten any "support" or "kudos" for staying.

But what IS factual is that several players--CJB included--publicly stated that DW quitting was as much about playing time as it was his father's illness. What IS fact is that CJBs dad did a "sanctioned" interview saying they needed to look at their options after the season. What IS fact is that Jake Rudock was, for the most part, not welcome to stick around by a good many people.

What is ALSO fact is that, thus far, it's worked out just fine for everyone involved. CJB is doing a fantastic job, Jake is doing what he does best, and Willies is where he belongs from a maturity standpoint. Only thing we haven't heard--at least publicly--is whether his dad moved to Texas, or if he is doing okay, health-wise. Since that, ostensibly, was the reason for his quitting, it would be nice to know if his father is doing okay. That, alone, could go a long way toward making DW more able to balance school/sports/family.

No links needed--DW didn't even make the trip to Maryland. The Purdue game was on TV. Evidently, one person missed DW running wrong routes and not blocking. But you could probably still get it on youtube or BTN On Demand or somewhere else.

Two things. One is that people mention the wrong routes in that game all the time. It's about as dumb as the Brad Banks running out of bounds arguement. It takes a lot more than one or two wrong routes to keep someone off the field when your senior leader (KMM) is running the exact same wrong route. For some reason no one ever talks about that though. The other thing is I'm pretty sure you made up the not blocking thing.

I call BS here. You make the straw man argument that JR "owed" it to the team to stay as back-up for depth. You have no idea whether or not he was "encouraged" to seek other opportunities. You have no idea if he was told other QBS would leap-frog him. And you assume that because pretty much EVERY person that wanted him gone voiced it--ad nauseum--that he would have gotten any "support" or "kudos" for staying.

But what IS factual is that several players--CJB included--publicly stated that DW quitting was as much about playing time as it was his father's illness. What IS fact is that CJBs dad did a "sanctioned" interview saying they needed to look at their options after the season. What IS fact is that Jake Rudock was, for the most part, not welcome to stick around by a good many people.

What is ALSO fact is that, thus far, it's worked out just fine for everyone involved. CJB is doing a fantastic job, Jake is doing what he does best, and Willies is where he belongs from a maturity standpoint. Only thing we haven't heard--at least publicly--is whether his dad moved to Texas, or if he is doing okay, health-wise. Since that, ostensibly, was the reason for his quitting, it would be nice to know if his father is doing okay. That, alone, could go a long way toward making DW more able to balance school/sports/family.

I think you're confused. Fans wanted him on the sidelines instead of on the field. I don't think anyone wanted him completely off the team.

Two things. One is that people mention the wrong routes in that game all the time. It's about as dumb as the Brad Banks running out of bounds arguement. It takes a lot more than one or two wrong routes to keep someone off the field when your senior leader (KMM) is running the exact same wrong route. For some reason no one ever talks about that though. The other thing is I'm pretty sure you made up the not blocking thing.

So you missed the game too, huh? He missed downfield blocks several times (although, personally, I think downfield blocking only gets noticed when it's in camera view). But again, it wasn't just one thing that kept it from starting. And he was also held out of at least one game due to injury, which is why the timing of his departure was so strange, anyway.

The Brad Banks "argument" being supported by Brad Banks, himself, pretty much blows your mention of that out of the water.

It's funny, too, how people actively look for DWs "triumphs" and JRs "failures", but not the reverse.

Frankly, it's starting to bore me. Seriously. It's worked out well for all involved except, of course, Arvada, who feels JR owed it to everyone to stick around for depth. And HomerChampless, who I can't believe is actually dumb enough to believe Jake strung everyone along and "nobody knew" who the backup was. Jake was "gone" a mere two seconds after he was told he was no longer needed. The formality of graduation was just a chronological necessity, nothing more. Nobody expected him to stick around, least of all KF or GD.

So you missed the game too, huh? He missed downfield blocks several times (although, personally, I think downfield blocking only gets noticed when it's in camera view). But again, it wasn't just one thing that kept it from starting. And he was also held out of at least one game due to injury, which is why the timing of his departure was so strange, anyway.

The Brad Banks "argument" being supported by Brad Banks, himself, pretty much blows your mention of that out of the water.

It's funny, too, how people actively look for DWs "triumphs" and JRs "failures", but not the reverse.

Frankly, it's starting to bore me. Seriously. It's worked out well for all involved except, of course, Arvada, who feels JR owed it to everyone to stick around for depth. And HomerChampless, who I can't believe is actually dumb enough to believe Jake strung everyone along and "nobody knew" who the backup was. Jake was "gone" a mere two seconds after he was told he was no longer needed. The formality of graduation was just a chronological necessity, nothing more. Nobody expected him to stick around, least of all KF or GD.

I'm a pretty humble guy. If someone asked me if I was ready to play the year before, I would pretty much always say no. It's just my nature. It wouldn't mean anything when I said it and it didn't mean anything when Banks said it. If McCann would have gotten hurt, Bsnks would have been ready and we would have been better.

I still feel like they should have accepted their roles as official backup girlfriends of all Hawkeye fans that we keep in the wings just in case our other girlfriends run off with some muscle dude in head to toe affliction gear....

OK, look, I have to respond to some of the 'insights' HawkeyeBob hurled my way.

First, Bob, I succinctly remember KF (he's one of the coaches at Iowa, right?) saying the Iowa practice facility was available to Rudock even during Jake's decision making days. Those early days of Iowa's official preseason workouts for the 2015 season. While Jake was waiting for clearance from the NCAA to officially be eligible to move to a different school for his final year of eligibility if he chose to do so. Jake could've declared right after the Slayer Bowl he was going to stay at Iowa for his final season.

The modern Iowa workout facilities wouldn't be available to Rudock if he'd already made up his mind to leave Iowa or if the Iowa coaching staff didn't want him. Or if they knew he was already going to leave Iowa. I'm sure that question would've been one of the first by Iowa coaches.

The second is a bit of logic. Football is a rough sport. Not like, for example, cross country. CJ's backup, if not for Rudock, would've been untested and certainly not completely knowledgeable of the Iowa system.
If CJ were unable to play, a redshirt would have to be pulled on an even more green Iowa QB to be the backup QB's backup.

You mentioned CJ and his dad's blasphemy on the Nashville radio station saying either play me or allow me to transfer from Iowa. This all occurred the final month of the bowl preparation against Tennessee in the Slayer Bowl. The final month. Before recruiting was finalized. If CJ were to leave before, during or shortly after the Slayer game, Iowa recruiting wouldn't have been finalized for the 2014 class and Iowa would've had the opportunity to rush in to recruit another QB prospect if they desired.

Rudock didn't tell Iowa of his intentions until the early days of official 2015 preseason...after the 2014 recruiting class had been finalized. In fact, not because of Jake, but because of the NCAA and its transfer rules for players that have received bachelors degrees did Jake have to wait almost 3 times longer than CJ and dad waited to give Iowa the ultimatum.

Many say Jake was bound to say nothing until the NCAA released him to be eligible for his final year. That's hogwash. Jake could've said, up front, I'm playing for Iowa my final or I'm not. Maybe he was sure he wasn't going to play at Iowa because he wouldn't be starting. Would he go somewhere else if he wasn't starting?

The Iowa staff waited and hoped for about 3 months for the official word on Jake's return. You don't think the Iowa staff wanted Jake?

You say things have worked well for everyone involved. Wait until that injury to either QB. Then things won't work so well.

Last edited:
If you don't think Texas Tech has a chance to do any damage in the B12 this year or in the future you must not be watching much college football this year.

First of all, he's not on Texas Tech yet so you're putting the cart in front of the horse a little bit. If he gets there he didn't earn that many snaps at Iowa before he decided to leave so you never know how much he's going to see the field.

What we do know, and what my previous post was about, is that he's currently playing for some bum**** team in Texas while his former team, our beloved Iowa Hawkeyes, are undefeated going into B10 play in a West Division that is wide open. Right now his decision looks foolish no matter how you slice it. He could have been a featured WR on a B10 team with what looks to be a damn good QB. Even if he ends up having a nice career at Texas Tech, which I hope he does for his sake, I would be quite surprised if Tech does anything equal to or better than Iowa is going to do the next few years.

I highly doubt Rudock left for playing time anyway. Why leave one school because you're not going to be a starter for another school where you might be a starter? If you like where you're at you wouldn't do that. He left because he was unhappy with how he was handled.

You would think the definition of quitting is "when you stop doing something that you started and it doesn't end up working out for all parties involved"

I highly doubt Rudock left for playing time anyway. Why leave one school because you're not going to be a starter for another school where you might be a starter? If you like where you're at you wouldn't do that. He left because he was unhappy with how he was handled.

If Jake didn't like the way he was handled then so be it. Kid had every chance in the world to be the guy and he couldn't pull away with it. I highly doubt that has anything to do with him transferring. He's a smart kid. I think he could realize that the time had come for CJ to take the reigns in Iowa City and he needed to look elsewhere. Sure it's a bummer, but it's not like he wasn't given a chance. No one should understand that better than he.

Last edited:
I'll be that guy and go out on a limb by saying the majority of the fan base that didn't want him starting wouldn't have wanted Jake backing up CJ this year. I see the argument being for a younger player being the backup in preparation to take over for CJ down the road. I just don't see the criticisms of Jake being the starter supporting the mentality that he'd make a good back up whether experienced or not.

Either way, Jake had 2 years of starting experience and he'd been passed up and felt the desire to move on. Willies hadn't even completed his second full year and was already labeled as a game changer by many. The way I see it one was on his way up while the other was on his way down. Truthfully I see Willies quitting having a bigger impact on the future then losing a backup QB who had 1 year left of elgibility.

Or they castigate Willies because he quit but have praise for Rudock even though he quit.

I think each player quit Iowa for the same reason: they wanted more playing time.

Last edited:
Actually, from what I've seen most everyone agrees that Jake absolutely did quit.

Jake quit Iowa.

Willies quit Iowa.

They gone.

/ this f'n thread.

Agreed. I'm not sure where Champless keeps pulling his info. The majority of people seem to consider both quitters. Me thinks he just likes to argue.

Its the weird psychological thing where we are supposed to be mad at Rudock because we saw more of him, but then some guys are obsessed with Willies being a victim of a conspiracy to steal his playing time. Then there is the legend of some big catch he made at a spring game over a year ago that somehow means he should have been a starter as a redshirt freshman when even djk or mcnutt couldn't do that.

Its the weird psychological thing where we are supposed to be mad at Rudock because we saw more of him, but then some guys are obsessed with Willies being a victim of a conspiracy to steal his playing time. Then there is the legend of some big catch he made at a spring game over a year ago that somehow means he should have been a starter as a redshirt freshman when even djk or mcnutt couldn't do that.

McNutt probably could have started his redshirt freshman year if Stanzi wouldn't have been on the team. JC sucked bad.