imagine an alternate universe where the Iowa offense.......

Danan Hughes.

Nah, just kidding. I think they are stashed on practice squads which, while technically are a part of NFL rosters, are far from any indicator of the quality of the WR we are recruiting and have recruited for decades. And I don't think McCarron is even on the Patriots practice squad anymore. I think he was cut after week 1.

McCarron isn't on the practice squad.

Folks are missing the point.

Clearly, we could use better wr recruiting.

Tevaun Smith was cut by Jags 3 weeks ago, Riley McCarron on roster.

Fringe NFL wrs are still pretty good. Clearly, Iowa isn't an wr hotbed. But the wr talent we Do have is not utilized enough.

I simply believe the lack if wr talent is overstated. Especially when you have 2 potential TEs on the team.

Again...teams all over cfb take deep shots to covered wrs...multiple times a game. Teams with less wr talent than Iowa.

Yet again, not saying we couldn't use more talent at wr...but ya gotta throw to them...to get them.
One begets the other. We don't target WRs in this offense, so we can't recruit top talent.

One begets the other. We don't target WRs in this offense, so we can't recruit top talent.

This is totally true and really all a receiver really needs is a half stride to one stride advantage after 5-10 yards downfield or so to take that shot be it a 20 yard pass along the sideline, a post pattern if the safety is not there, a go route up the hash marks.

In a world where our defense stays this good, the scenario has us ranked basically 18 out of 20 years and in the top ten maybe half those years.

giphy.gif

I just did a fairly detailed examination of this in another thread. I know its all speculation and there is no way to truly keep all else equal, but we lose a LOT of games by 4 points or less.

Latest posts