imagine an alternate universe where the Iowa offense.......

mrolympia

average 400 yards and 30 ppg. How many more wins per year & top 10 finishes would that team have?

It is funny that KF many years accepts this average offense. Even many classic pro teams using the I formation had high powered offenses and didnt just try to grind it out but threw it down the field.

CloudyCreamyErin-small.gif

And 2015 as well. Or basically when he's due for a raise or extension.

Very good as that 2015 team had the passing game and very good running game.

It can be done and they have done it. I would say that the QBs in those years were more mobile, Banks, Tate, Stanzi, CJ, and even Chandler who could run it pretty well when he had or wanted to.

In KFs conservative offense when they have a QB who can extend plays with their feet and run for a few big gains each game means all the difference between scoring 23 pts avg vs 30 pts per avg.

And 2015 as well. Or basically when he's due for a raise or extension.
Heck, if it was that easy, I would vote for letting him know he's due for a raise every year. Think of all of the wasted years, wading through 7-5 or so seasons.

Heck, if it was that easy, I would vote for letting him know he's due for a raise every year. Think of all of the wasted years, wading through 7-5 or so seasons.
Convince Barta of the same and you're on to something. Remember when half the NFL was on Kirk's tail in the mid 2000's? Right.

Very good as that 2015 team had the passing game and very good running game.

It can be done and they have done it. I would say that the QBs in those years were more mobile, Banks, Tate, Stanzi, CJ, and even Chandler who could run it pretty well when he had or wanted to.

In KFs conservative offense when they have a QB who can extend plays with their feet and run for a few big gains each game means all the difference between scoring 23 pts avg vs 30 pts per avg.
Stanley is learning on the fly. On that long completion to Hok last week he made a move to his left to buy himself more time. He would have taken the sack last year. He's no gazelle back there, but he has the arm strength to make those kind of plays work if he can buy himself one or two more seconds of time.

What 2015 team did really well, like 2002 and 2009, was force turnovers. Set up the offense from the ladies tees. I'm not seeing signs from this team that they can do that. Maybe turn Eppy lose and he can force some chaos that way. I was begging for a turnover last week. It never came. Punt after punt made us work with a long field.

The term "hidden yardage" is frequently used when describing good Iowa teams. I saw another example of it last night over here in Wisconsin, Cuba City vs Mineral Point. The Pointers were looking ahead to a conference showdown next week. They were playing soft zone, bend don't break. Cuba was moving the ball on them. But Mineral Point's kicking and punting game kept bottling Cuba up deep in their own end. Eventually, they made the crucial mistake and bogged down, drive after drive. Mineral Point was outgained and lost the time of possession battle, but escaped with a narrow win. I told my wife that I had seen that act before.

It is funny that KF many years accepts this average offense. Even many classic pro teams using the I formation had high powered offenses and didnt just try to grind it out but threw it down the field.
Pro teams actually have pro WRs. KF can't recruit WRs. That's the difference.

Iowa generally has weak WRs, they must address this after two decades.

I still dont buy that we dont have good enough wrs. They are not elite, but we dont target them downfield enough to know. I see dozens of deep shot 50/50 balls thrown to covered receivers every damn Saturday. I watched about 4 games today, and saw many 20+ yard passes to covered receivers.

I believe Iowa has 2 wrs currently on NFL rosters from the last 3 years, not including te's. Clearly they were not thrown to enough.

In 2015 Iowa had an ave of 386 yards and averaged just under 31 points some which came from D. They got outgained in some wins. Nebby if I'm right by quit a bit and IU.

What they had that year and the other big years was a qb that could keep plays alive by being a bit of a rebel and use legs. Their throwing style was unusual except Stanzi who had not care about being pic rick until has last year.

These types of quarterbacks seem to not be KF style and he seemed to use them begrudgedly.

In no way do they describe Stanley.

I still dont buy that we dont have good enough wrs. They are not elite, but we dont target them downfield enough to know. I see dozens of deep shot 50/50 balls thrown to covered receivers every damn Saturday. I watched about 4 games today, and saw many 20+ yard passes to covered receivers.

I believe Iowa has 2 wrs currently on NFL rosters from the last 3 years, not including te's. Clearly they were not thrown to enough.
Which WRs are on NFL rosters?

Danan Hughes.

Nah, just kidding. I think they are stashed on practice squads which, while technically are a part of NFL rosters, are far from any indicator of the quality of the WR we are recruiting and have recruited for decades. And I don't think McCarron is even on the Patriots practice squad anymore. I think he was cut after week 1.

Tevaun Smith was cut by Jags 3 weeks ago, Riley McCarron on roster.

Fringe NFL wrs are still pretty good. Clearly, Iowa isn't an wr hotbed. But the wr talent we Do have is not utilized enough.

I simply believe the lack if wr talent is overstated. Especially when you have 2 potential TEs on the team.

Again...teams all over cfb take deep shots to covered wrs...multiple times a game. Teams with less wr talent than Iowa.

Yet again, not saying we couldn't use more talent at wr...but ya gotta throw to them...to get them.

Tevaun Smith was cut by Jags 3 weeks ago, Riley McCarron on roster.

Fringe NFL wrs are still pretty good. Clearly, Iowa isn't an wr hotbed. But the wr talent we Do have is not utilized enough.

I simply believe the lack if wr talent is overstated. Especially when you have 2 potential TEs on the team.

Again...teams all over cfb take deep shots to covered wrs...multiple times a game. Teams with less wr talent than Iowa.

Yet again, not saying we couldn't use more talent at wr...but ya gotta throw to them...to get them.
Happy Hour in Eureka! NOW! You know who! can't turn Rolling Rock in can warm yet? Go Hawk Tough Players...

Latest posts