I'm coming to terms with this years team

Let’s face the real reality, in the last 20 years besides 2006, which ended in an epic fail, Iowa has been terrible at basketball. It’s taken this long to get the program back on healthy ground and a huge majority of Iowa fans (just like in the Davis Years) want to run a good basketball coach out of town, Hopefully history doesn’t repeat itself.
Well if we have been terrible for the last twenty years and our current coach has been here for almost half of those twenty than he can't be that good can he?:)

But I'm only worried about the here and now. This year has been one of his better coaching jobs. And I know what you're saying. We've only been terrible for about five of those twenty years. We've been average to mediocre for many of the others. We have been terrible, downright embarrassing, in the conference tournament and this would be a good year to have a better showing.

As of the morning before the Rutger's game I am just OK with where the team is at record wise, being in 6th place in a conference that is very good is a positive. Yet it seems to be the ceiling for Iowa Men's Basketball. I believe a 5th place tie has been the highest place in the last ten years. For this season to end on positive the team has to win out in the regular season and win two games in the B1G tournament. The team is on the brink of having a really good season or falling flat on its ass.

Well if we have been terrible for the last twenty years and our current coach has been here for almost half of those twenty than he can't be that good can he?:)

But I'm only worried about the here and now. This year has been one of his better coaching jobs. And I know what you're saying. We've only been terrible for about five of those twenty years. We've been average to mediocre for many of the others. We have been terrible, downright embarrassing, in the conference tournament and this would be a good year to have a better showing.

I can’t blame him for the start, there has to be some sort of bottom and a turn around. Last year sucked, but if you look at Iowa historically, regardless of coach, that type of season seemed unavoidable. Iowa is about to go to it’s 4th NCAA in the last 6.

As of the morning before the Rutger's game I am just OK with where the team is at record wise, being in 6th place in a conference that is very good is a positive. Yet it seems to be the ceiling for Iowa Men's Basketball. I believe a 5th place tie has been the highest place in the last ten years. For this season to end on positive the team has to win out in the regular season and win two games in the B1G tournament. The team is on the brink of having a really good season or falling flat on its ass.
Iowa has finished tied for 5th or better in the B1G in 3 of the last 4 seasons. Two of those were 3rd. This year they likely finish no worse then 6th.
Try again.

There are three or four of you out there who are so convinced this team is going to to fall on it's ass and so worked up over a couple lucky finishes that you are showing incapability of enjoying the season. It's like these posters have to spew this garbage to steel themselves for the inevitable. If they have to drum up faux negativity to brace themselves for disappointment then someone's elevator isn't stopping at every floor. This team has been clutch. There's no reason they can't continue to be. This team doesn't give a rats ass about recent collapses.

They may fall flat on their face in postseason. They may make a run. But enjoy the process. Embrace luck-we were overdue for it. Cause we're going to get knocked out at some time in the conference tourney and we're going to get knocked out at some time in the NCAA's. And when it happens I'm going to be temporarily disappointed, but then I will hold my head high and be proud of the season and remember the exciting moments this team gave us.

Now dammit, they better not be a one year wonder!:)

Iowa has finished tied for 5th or better in the B1G in 3 of the last 4 seasons. Two of those were 3rd. This year they likely finish no worse then 6th.
Try again.

I do a pretty good job of remembering records and where the team finished in the conference (probably because I spend too much time in here talking about it). I forget that not everyone remembers as clearly as I do. No wonder some people have such a bad perspective of Fran. They don't even remember things like finishing tied for 3rd twice. If my memory told me the best he has done was tied for 5th, I would probably want him gone too.

Also things like play in game doesn't count, you don't get credit for winning a close game, and the minimum bar for approval always moves up to just over where the team finishes, are reasons to belittle a coach's accomplishments.

where%20are%20we%20now%20.%20Koko%20tte,%20dono%20hen%20ni%20narimasu%20ka.jpg

Where are we? We are on the losing side of the proverbial chess match. As the season goes on our opponents have a lot of information to analyze and can figure us out. We have been playing at a pretty high level for most of the year, and mostly due to our new piece in Wieskamp. He is a very very good player and a team has to game plan for him. However, he has been starting all year, so by this time of the year other coaches know what we are. We haven't done anything new since we started going zone, and being since we have some fundamental flaws that have been talked about at nauseum on this board and others, opponents are exploiting that.

Its the same way with any sport. Why do the Patriots do so well in the NFL? Because they change, morph, and scheme to exploit their opponent. Its like a boxer you can never get a clean shot on. Opponents at college level and above are just too good and too smart to let you do the same thing over and over again. That is what is going on here. Look at the teams that are playing well at the end of the season. Penn St, Maryland, Illinois, Rutgers, etc., all teams that have a lot of talent and had a big ceiling because they just played so bad at the beginning of the season.

We don't have a high ceiling play with this team this way. We can't be slow and not have a player to beat someone off the dribble and try to out score the opponent and not play defense. No way will that work. As my son says about Clash Royale, the meta has changed. We don't have anyone new that we haven't seen coming off the bench, so we have to work with what we have.

For me, the two most athletic players on the wing that can break down a defense are Moss and Dailey. Dailey impressed me with some moves against OSU, and with consistency he could help us out a lot. Moss is a really really good shooter, but I don't know if don't need him to go to hole more. The length of those two if they are engaged on defense can help us too. So I would like to see us in a matchup zone with Moss, Dailey, Wieskamp/Baer, Cook/Garza/Kriener, and Jbo. Conner is a liability because he cant drive or shoot, and Dailey should get his minutes. That would give us a couple of guys who could beat man to man with a big inside to finish and Jbo there for the kickout. Moss is the key to this team though because he is the only one who can do both.

I dont know, that is my armchair coaching.

I think our biggest issue with the zone is that teams have recognized them well enough to get the ball to a big at the free throw line. Usually Bohannon or another small player will leave his man and slide down to sandwich/double team. The big then kicks it out to a wide open shooter and after that we're chasing the ball as they pass it from open player to open player. It allows them to take a wide open three or pump fake and drive to the hoop with ease.

I think our biggest issue with the zone is that teams have recognized them well enough to get the ball to a big at the free throw line. Usually Bohannon or another small player will leave his man and slide down to sandwich/double team. The big then kicks it out to a wide open shooter and after that we're chasing the ball as they pass it from open player to open player. It allows them to take a wide open three or pump fake and drive to the hoop with ease.
A few weeks back I said one of the possible reasons for some of our slides is that later in the year teams are better equipped to handle our “gimmick” defenses. There is more film out there, teams play with more confidence and smarter later in the year. Our defenses just seem to yield themselves too tons of open shots. That’s a bad formula when teams are clicking on all cylinders.

Latest posts