I'm coming to terms with this years team

I guess I am not really relaying what I am trying to say correctly. Which isn't surprising - I am not always great at that. Sorry....and not really arguing, but reality is, this is one of the better teams to play at Iowa in the last 20 years. Hard to argue that when there's been such little success to draw comparison. IMO this team is DEFINITELY better if they go 13-7 or 12-8 against a conference schedule of teams where the lowest ranked ken pom team is currently 80th. White's Senior year Northwestern's KP was 122, Nebraska's was 121 and Rutgers was 198. That's 3 of our last 6 wins in 15. They only had 5 teams in the top 35 KP compared to 7 of them this year and ALL 14 teams are in the top 80. That's a staggering difference in terms of competition. I will give you the OOC for sure which probably helps balance things out, but Iowa also didn't lose until it got INTO this meat grinder. That team also didn't have as good of win per Ken Pom as this years team (#6 Michigan). That team also had bad loses. You can definitely make a case for this being exactly what I am saying - we'll have to see how it plays out.
They are in the conversation for sure by virtue of being a tournament team. But again crowning them the best seems a little premature. If they finish strong here you’d have a nice case.

Pretty sure Bohannon, Moss Wieskamp, Cook, Garza and Connor were all top 100 I count 6 they were all 4 stars I believe on ESPN

Depends on the list, I know some have Connor in the top 100 but I haven’t seen JB or Moss on a top 100. You say ESPN?

But...the Kenpom, Sagarin, etc. ratings take into account SOS and difficulty of opponents. They aren't perfect, but they are very comprehensive, and objective. I think a difference of 10-15 spots across the different rating systems is enough to say the White/Uthoff teams are "better." It still remains to be seen where this current team finishes in the ratings (NOT the polls, those are BS).

I tend to think that this is one of if not the best offensive teams in that era, but that the unbelievably poor defensive play (which is supported by stats) offsets it enough to slide down the list.

I guess to me a team's record isn't enough if we're strictly comparing two different teams. This team has needed two buzzer beaters against low-tier teams and a third game that barely squeaked by. If those are losses by chance, all of the sudden this season is in the crapper. If the record is enough in someone's mind to consider this team the best one, that's totally fine. I just think it's not based on anything other than gut hunch.

And since I know this will get you screaming mad, I feel the need for a disclaimer:

I don't hate the Hawkeyes

I love it when they win

I don't hate any Hawkeye players

The NW and Rutgers games were the most fun I've had watching a Hawkeye basketball game in years

I don't get happy when they lose and secretly wish for it so I can come to HN and rant

Signed while swearing on my dead mother's honor,

Fryowa.

lol, you need to put that disclaimer on every post.

But...the Kenpom, Sagarin, etc. ratings take into account SOS and difficulty of opponents. They aren't perfect, but they are very comprehensive, and objective. I think a difference of 10-15 spots across the different rating systems is enough to say the White/Uthoff teams are "better." It still remains to be seen where this current team finishes in the ratings (NOT the polls, those are BS).

I tend to think that this is one of if not the best offensive teams in that era, but that the unbelievably poor defensive play (which is supported by stats) offsets it enough to slide down the list.

I guess to me a team's record isn't enough if we're strictly comparing two different teams. This team has needed two buzzer beaters against low-tier teams and a third game that barely squeaked by. If those are losses by chance, all of the sudden this season is in the crapper. If the record is enough in someone's mind to consider this team the best one, that's totally fine. I just think it's not based on anything other than gut hunch.

And since I know this will get you screaming mad, I feel the need for a disclaimer:

I don't hate the Hawkeyes

I love it when they win

I don't hate any Hawkeye players

The NW and Rutgers games were the most fun I've had watching a Hawkeye basketball game in years

I don't get happy when they lose and secretly wish for it so I can come to HN and rant

Signed while swearing on my dead mother's honor,

Fryowa.

my point I've been making is that even with those buzzer beater wins against Rutgers (80 KP) and Indiana (48 KP) this year, the 15 team LOST games to teams with sub 100 RPI's. The league wasn't even in the same conversation as far as strength. Buzzer beating the 48th ranked Ken Pom to me seems better than losing to the 122nd but that's just me.

as pointed earlier - the general consensus of all pre-season predictions was 8th-12th place in the league and none had Iowa w/ a winning a conference record. Have to label this year successful and improvement. IMO - simply maturity both physical and mental.

Neb & Indiana on the other hand......

as pointed earlier - the general consensus of all pre-season predictions was 8th-12th place in the league and none had Iowa w/ a winning a conference record. Have to label this year successful and improvement. IMO - simply maturity both physical and mental.

Neb & Indiana on the other hand......

There were people peeing their pants over fing Tim Miles this off season. Oh, look at Nebraska. Look at them. They are soo good. Tim Miles knows how to recruit transfers and Fran's just a dummy. One publication that ranked all the B1G jobs listed Nebraska's ahead of Iowa's. I called every single one of them on it and said, good luck to Nebraska playing in a position it's never been in but a handful of times in it's history. Every time they've been in that position, this is the type of year they have. People can NOT see through the trees often times.

Is this racist?

It's difficult to be racist against white people, I would say. Some joke about white basketball players being less athletic really isn't racist to me as it's meant as a joke and most white people laugh at it anyway.

Even being called a cracker or honky wouldn't offend me at all, given the power dynamic there is in our country.

I would say that things Black Lives Matters, Louis Farrakhan and the most extreme anti-white groups say about white people are racist. I think that's where the bar is set and probably should be.

But back to basketball. For the last month or so the eye test on this team and its talent screams out to me 8 or 9 seed in the Dance. I suspect that's where we'll end up.

But back to basketball. For the last month or so the eye test on this team and its talent screams out to me 8 or 9 seed in the Dance. I suspect that's where we'll end up.

I've kind of always thought that tho - even though most of their season they've played most of it like a 6. I've had the last 2 road games penciled as a loss all season.

Depends on the list, I know some have Connor in the top 100 but I haven’t seen JB or Moss on a top 100. You say ESPN?

I thought so it’s been so long ago I can’t remember I know moss was a 4 star I’m 50/50 on jbo. I still used espn back then now I use 24/7

Just looked back on espn both jbo and moss according to espn were 4 stars but not top 100
Connor and Garza were the class after cook and job and both Connor and Garza top 100 according to espn so 4 top 100 6 total 4 stars a steal in Baer and half star Dailey and kriener

Last edited:
Hope to get the O funk worked out Saturday.
Also, need to start each half better than we have been recently on both ends.

The coaches in the B1G are very good. With a twenty game schedule, the games become a test of wills. The other staffs know every wart on your skin. Every counter, every set, everything.

Comes down to effort, execution and players making plays.

Oh, and you’re gonna have to play through the brutal B1G officiating as well.

I've kind of always thought that tho - even though most of their season they've played most of it like a 6. I've had the last 2 road games penciled as a loss all season.

Just seems like most of Mr. Davis's kind of NCAA teams that were 8 or 9s, based on talent related to the rest of college basketball.

All you guys remember is the games the Hawks WON but could have lost easily. What about the games they LOST but could have easily won? MD and WI come to mind. Flat gave those games away and they would have been good resume wins.

All you guys remember is the games the Hawks WON but could have lost easily. What about the games they LOST but could have easily won? MD and WI come to mind. Flat gave those games away and they would have been good resume wins.

There's this stigma that Iowa is already fading down the stretch - or that it's inevitable. There's also this stigma that Iowa is somehow playing poorly as of late as well. I by no means think they are playing their best ball, but those 2 notions are laughable. Iowa is playing like one of the best teams in the B1G and country down the stretch so far.

In Feb

Purdue - 6-1
Iowa, Michigan State & Penn State- 5-2
Michigan & Ohio State - 5-3
Illinois, Maryland & Wisconsin - 4-3
Indiana & Rutgers - 2-5
Minnesota & Nebraska - 2-6
Northwestern - 0-7

Both of Iowa's losses were quad 1 loses as well.

Last edited:
There were people peeing their pants over fing Tim Miles this off season. Oh, look at Nebraska. Look at them. They are soo good. Tim Miles knows how to recruit transfers and Fran's just a dummy. One publication that ranked all the B1G jobs listed Nebraska's ahead of Iowa's. I called every single one of them on it and said, good luck to Nebraska playing in a position it's never been in but a handful of times in it's history. Every time they've been in that position, this is the type of year they have. People can NOT see through the trees often times.
For what it's worth, I was one of those people. Our season really started to take off when we beat Nebraska in January. Theirs went the other direction.

Sometimes I can't see the trees themselves, let alone through them.

Let’s face the real reality, in the last 20 years besides 2006, which ended in an epic fail, Iowa has been terrible at basketball. It’s taken this long to get the program back on healthy ground and a huge majority of Iowa fans (just like in the Davis Years) want to run a good basketball coach out of town, Hopefully history doesn’t repeat itself.

Latest posts