im a little worried...

franstheman

now i love fran. love his style and love his personality but i have to admit that not signing a guard when we need the depth and just about everyone thinks we need one.... is a little lickliteresque

I would be more worried if Caff was offering prospects just so we have bodies. That's one of the things that drove Iowa basketball into the ground to begin with.

I would be more worried if Caff was offering prospects just so we have bodies. That's one of the things that drove Iowa basketball into the ground to begin with.

I agree...you don't want to be filling spots with bodies...but you don't want to be banking scholarships either. Offering scholarships to unworthy players is just above banking scholarships on the "things not to do when rebuilding a team" playbook.

Banking scholarships is only really significant if you are doing it in Fall. Remember, Fran only offered Wash after Cully left. So he was thinking of 2 guys in Spring all along. The November kids are going to sign before the 2011-2012 plays a game. Fran has one verbal already and if he can get a couple of the local kids to commit, the ball will be rolling.

I think there is good reason to be a little worried. I am 100% behind McCaffrey, but not getting a pg for next season would be a huge disservice to the team and fans. Cartwright gets in foul trouble, rolls an ankle, gets the flu, etc., and we are screwed. As we saw last season, with Cartwright on the bench, we get 0 dribble penetration.

Not going to freak out, as it is early and who knows what the actual plan is, but I will be disappointed if we run Marble out there again as the backup PG.

The class of 2012 has more in-state talent and Iowa staff will have had chance to be on them early. Signing a PG at this time doee no good if kid cant play at Big Ten level. Hopefully Bryce stays healthy and Marble or someone can be backup. I think with practice time, Marble can be adequate or better at PG.

I was hoping for more this Spring but looks like we will have to wait for Fall to get the response we would like.

If Cartwright is our only point guard we better hope he stays healthy.

Why? No, I mean seriously, why? The 2012 recruiting class will tell the story of the future of Iowa basketball and Fran's place in it. That team will have to be signed before next year's team plays a game. So the success of next year's team means zilch with respect to immediate recruiting. The only way it would mean something is if Fran was still scrambling to fill scholarships in Spring and then that would be what everyone should worry about.

The team has one Junior. So 2013 recruiting is not a huge deal. So, this year's team sucking wouldn't have much of an impact on that. If you are talking about the team being competitive next year, then I think you should just take a second to really consider that possibility. The only post players have shown very little ability to this point to compete in the Big Ten. The likelihood that one or the combination can meet the standards of last year's big are very slim and even with him the team was dismal when it came to wins. The two players being added play the only two positions on the team where there is a logjam, so expecting a huge upswing there is not realistic, unless you are going to move a guy to the bench. In fact, I expect one reason a point might not be coming is that it allows Fran to get Marble some minutes to break the logjam a little.

If BC goes down will it probably mean more losses? Sure, but not a whole lot more, because the odds are there are not going to be a lot of wins in the first place.

Fran is looking to the future. Hawk fans should as well.

I'm not worried simply because Fran showed last year that he can and will find players even if it's late. Until he brings in a lemon, I'll stick by him and his staff when it comes to recruiting. Heck, he brought in the two best players on the team late last year.

I'm not worried at all. Both Hubbard and Marble can give us backup min at the PG spot. If Cartwright gets injured he gets injured. We'd still be in a better place than we were last year.

I think he is clearly building with the next 5 years in mind, not just next year. With that said, they will be a better basketball team next year than this year, and will win more games. What he's doing isn't just random, or a "what do we do now" mentality. However, he's not going to lay out his plan for all of us to evaluate (and competitors to know), so it may appear random and disjointed to us. Time will tell if his plan will work, but based on the limited evidence so far (Basabe and Cartwright, the team improving as the season went along, a better style of basketball) I think it will.

I think he is clearly building with the next 5 years in mind, not just next year. With that said, they will be a better basketball team next year than this year, and will win more games. What he's doing isn't just random, or a "what do we do now" mentality. However, he's not going to lay out his plan for all of us to evaluate (and competitors to know), so it may appear random and disjointed to us. Time will tell if his plan will work, but based on the limited evidence so far (Basabe and Cartwright, the team improving as the season went along, a better style of basketball) I think it will.

If they get Hubbard they might be better. But I don't see it with anyone else, unless some Reggie Evans type big emerges. But the most likely big is Olaseni, who is very developmental.

With Hubbard, you probably end up with a few more wins. But you still have post issues. The front line players will be 6'5, 6'7, and a slight 6'8. Now Hubbard will hold his own, but it will still be possible for some teams to play over the top.

If they get Hubbard they might be better. But I don't see it with anyone else, unless some Reggie Evans type big emerges. But the most likely big is Olaseni, who is very developmental.

With Hubbard, you probably end up with a few more wins. But you still have post issues. The front line players will be 6'5, 6'7, and a slight 6'8. Now Hubbard will hold his own, but it will still be possible for some teams to play over the top.

I think you are overlooking the fact that the team is significantly more athletic and deep next year with Hubbard & White. Now Fran can press tempo, and force the action.

Bigs are overrated in college BB these days. Unless you have a Sullinger type, athletic players are much more critical to teams. Did VCU have some powerful interior presence, did Butler? Howard was in inside out guy, and is 6'8" and could hold his own inside when needed. The days of absolutely having to have a 6'11 presence inside is gone. Teams can and do find ways around a 6'11 inside guy.

Last edited:
Caar, maybe I misunderstood your post, but it appears you left a couple of front line players off your list. Archie and Brommer are bigger than 6'8" and at least Brommer is not slight.

Why? No, I mean seriously, why? The 2012 recruiting class will tell the story of the future of Iowa basketball and Fran's place in it. That team will have to be signed before next year's team plays a game. So the success of next year's team means zilch with respect to immediate recruiting. The only way it would mean something is if Fran was still scrambling to fill scholarships in Spring and then that would be what everyone should worry about.

The team has one Junior. So 2013 recruiting is not a huge deal. So, this year's team sucking wouldn't have much of an impact on that. If you are talking about the team being competitive next year, then I think you should just take a second to really consider that possibility. The only post players have shown very little ability to this point to compete in the Big Ten. The likelihood that one or the combination can meet the standards of last year's big are very slim and even with him the team was dismal when it came to wins. The two players being added play the only two positions on the team where there is a logjam, so expecting a huge upswing there is not realistic, unless you are going to move a guy to the bench. In fact, I expect one reason a point might not be coming is that it allows Fran to get Marble some minutes to break the logjam a little.

If BC goes down will it probably mean more losses? Sure, but not a whole lot more, because the odds are there are not going to be a lot of wins in the first place.

Fran is looking to the future. Hawk fans should as well.

Recruiting is clearly important,but that is not the entire bb program at Iowa.
You contend that winning next year is unimportant,because it will not impact recruiting the 2012 class,and once again you are saying that there is no life after November 15 in terms of Iowa bb and Fran's association with it. I disagree.

1. If Bryce goes down,and the Hawks win fewer games next year than this year,the program loses momentum,no matter who they sign in November.
Fan support will tail off,which is almost as important as stellar recruiting.

2. If Fran signs one juco or two,even this spring, we could have 3 schollys to give in 2013,including possibly a top 25 local player in Jok,exactly the kind of whale that Fran needs to land. Maybe you think Fran will be fired on Nov 16 of next year,but realistic fans know that he has a 5 year leash,minimum,so yes, 2013 will remain very important to Iowa bb and Fran.

3. Now, that said, I still think Fran knows what he is doing,and if he passed on Glover,who presumably could help out at the pg position behind Bryce, then he must be confident he can cover that position.
So, I will let it play out before any conclusions.

4. Winning breeds winning. That is why next year's performance on the court is important. We have a young team,and they need to learn how to win close games. They cannot wait for some new hotshot recruits in 2012 to come and show them how that is done. Basabe,Marble,McCabe,May,White and Oglesby are going to be around for 2-3-4 more years,and they need to see some rewards for their hard work,or they might bail themselves.

So,yes, next year matters. As a fan,I want to see wins on the court and in the recruiting battles ASAP!
Go Hawks!

I think you are overlooking the fact that the team is significantly more athletic and deep next year with Hubbard & White. Now Fran can press tempo, and force the action.

Bigs are overrated in college BB these days. Unless you have a Sullinger type, athletic players are much more critical to teams. Did VCU have some powerful interior presence, did Butler? Howard was in inside out guy, and is 6'8" and could hold his own inside when needed. The days of absolutely having to have a 6'11 presence inside is gone. Teams can and do find ways around a 6'11 inside guy.

MN & ILL beat us because of their bigs... MN really schooled inside the paint...

Latest posts