Illini fan is melting down

GhostofBTT

Banned
I like to read the Illinois scout page, and they are full Chernobyl after their loss to Northwestern, and they want their coach fired.

My favorite comment:

Can Weber take this program to a Final Four again?

If Bill Self does the recruiting for him.

What is amusing to me is that Illinois fans have convinced themselves they have a team loaded with talent, but their coach is not helping them.

Illinois has one good player, and everyone else average.

I think Illinois has talent, it's just raw, young, and undisciplined.

Looks like you might be right about Illinois postseason, or lack thereof.

If you think you are worth anything in basketball, you don't lose to Northwestern. That program has been the cause of a meltdown or two on Iowa message boards in the past.

Weber proved he can coach, but he hasn't proved he can recruit. Honestly Illinois has overachieved the past few years IMO. They do not have an abundance of talent, but Weber gets solid production out of them. If Illinois thinks someone else can bring in better recruits, then maybe it is time for them to move on.

Iowa football= Illinois basketball
Illinois football=Iowa basketball

No way...our football team would KILL their basketball team! However, their football team would get their a$$es kicked by Cole, May and Gatens...and if it's a drinking contest...well, let's just say we have a "ringer" for that one too!:D

If you think you are worth anything in basketball, you don't lose to Northwestern. That program has been the cause of a meltdown or two on Iowa message boards in the past.

Well, that certainly used to be the case... Just like it was with football.

Things change.

And like Spank said, the Illini have the talent; they're just young. They'll get better. Weber's a great coach, but they're just really young. That's all.

The fans tend to feel pretty entitled (not unlike a lot of Iowa FB fans, quite honestly), but it looks like they just might have to be patient and look to the future for now (not unlike Iowa BB fans, quite honestly).

I think Illinois has talent, it's just raw, young, and undisciplined.

Looks like you might be right about Illinois postseason, or lack thereof.

We can use the youth excuse. Illinois can't. They have only three underclassmen who get significant minutes, and I think only one of them starts. McCamey is a great player, but Tisdale and Davis are jokes. Either of them can go for 25 and 10, but then they will go 8-4 the next two games.

Interesting to note, I didn't know until after their meltdown that they have not won a tournament game since Dee Brown graduated.

I really think Iowa will beat them at Carver. It's just a feeling I have (and yes I'm being way too optimistic after two games.)

And like Spank said, the Illini have the talent; they're just young. They'll get better. Weber's a great coach, but they're just really young. That's all.
This is simply flat-out, totally wrong, incorrect, woefully off the mark, hopelessly uninformed.

There are 13 players on the Illannoy roster this season: Keller is a senior. Tisdale, Jordan, Mike Davis, McCamey, Legion (already quit), Cole, Semrau (Weber is running him off a year early to grab the schollie to use for someone who won't be as much a mistake as Weber's previous big man recruits)are seven juniors on a very unbalanced roster with no sophomores.
Simpson is a red-shirt freshman (not that his status matters; he is their Brommer, and Weber will convince him that he needs to transfer. True, four freshen complete the roster--But Bertram is a red-shirt, Griffey sees the court about as often as it rains in the Sahara or the beaches are crowded with sunbathers in Anartica. Richardson is the only freshman starter; Paul is the third guy off the bench after Keller & Jordan now that Legion is gone...and Paul has been playing fairly well of late (but for all the hyped exaggerations throughout Illinois about their great recruiting classes, only the most myopic Illwhinney fan would claim that Richardson & Paul have contributed as much to their team as Hawkeyes May & Payne).

As for underclassmen, the comparison favors Iowa all the more--Simpson, Griffey, Richardson, Paul, Bertrand vs Gatens, Fuller, Tucker, Brommer, Payne, May, Cougill. Four starters (five if you count Tucker) on a BT team on the rise for the Hawkeyes, one for the collapsing Illwhinney.

The fans tend to feel pretty entitled (not unlike a lot of Iowa FB fans, quite honestly), but it looks like they just might have to be patient and look to the future for now (not unlike Iowa BB fans, quite honestly).

Weber's kind of overrated. Look at his credentials without Self's recruits.

They have a thread about illannoy's "national relevence" on that board.
Huh?
A couple flash in the pan seasons over the past 3 decades and suddenly they think they're nationally relevant in hoops?
Um, ok.
Same moronic illnoise mentality that spouts the "who cares, we're a basketball school!" BS during yet another dismal FB season.:confused:

Weber struggled with recruiting before he got his latest assistant. I think he has some good young talent and some more coming in. He may need more years for his younger guys to get experience before he is able to right the ship.

They have a thread about illannoy's "national relevence" on that board.
Huh?
A couple flash in the pan seasons over the past 3 decades and suddenly they think they're nationally relevant in hoops?
Um, ok.
Same moronic illnoise mentality that spouts the "who cares, we're a basketball school!" BS during yet another dismal FB season.:confused:

I wouldn't mind their results. Since 2000 they have six seasons of 25 wins or more. They have eight seasons with 20 wins or more.

However, your point is well taken. Their fans always have something to blame for their lack of national relevance. It's either Bruce Pearle's wiretapping, Bill Self's midnight escape from Champaign, or Weber's recruiting disability that keeps them from being compared with Duke and Kentucky.

Latest posts