Illini BB...exposed as cheaters again?

JHHawk

Last nite on ESPN they had the 30 on 30 documentary on Chicago prep bb star Ben Wilson,who was killed in November of 1984 in an insane moment of street violence outside of his school,Simeon HS. At the time he was in his senior year,and rated as the #1 player in the country as a 6' 8'' Magic Johnson type guard/forward.
Very sad story really,as he was really a pied piper of high school hoops in Chicago.
Many stars have worn his number,25, since then,including his teammate Nick Anderson,Juwan Howard, Derrick Rose, Jabari Parker ect...

Wilson was the object of an intense recruiting war between DePaul,Illinois,IU and just about every other top bb school in the country.

Kenny McReynolds,an assistant coach for Ray Meyer at DePaul at the time was featured in the documentary and he is still a major figure around the Chicago hoop scene today,doing TV analysis for local channels.
Today, Kenny gave an interview on the SCORE 670AM to discuss the film and Ben Wilson.
During the interview he was asked about the recruitment of Wilson and he said that he was personally very close to Wilson,and thought that DePaul was going to land him.

Shortly before his death he came to McReynolds and told him he was very torn between DePaul and Illinois....saying he wanted to attend DePaul,but that he had been offered a significant amount of money to attend Illinois,and with his mother working 16 hours a day to support him and his siblings,he felt obligated to try to help her out.

McReynolds told Wilson he understood,and told him to take the money if he felt he had to do it. McReynolds quickly added in this interview that he wanted to make it clear that no one on the Illini bb staff was involved in this arrangement.

This was the Lou Henson/Jimmy Collins era of Illini bb. Five years later, the Deon Thomas affair blew up,with the Illini being accused of skullduggery by Bob Knight and Digger Phelps,among others. Bruce Pearl ended up involved and the Illini were investigated by the NCAA...with some sanctions resulting.

I really doubt that Kenny McReynolds would have any motivation to concoct a false story after all these years. He is out of the business himself. I suspect this is a true account. Maybe Collins and Henson never knew what their boosters were doing,but I suspect that cash was changing hands back in those years.

It had to be frustrating to Knight,Phelps,Mr. Davis, Ray Meyer, ect to see these transactions lure players to Illinois in those years,with Henson and Collins maintaining innocence.

An extremely sad story about a kid being shot to death in the street. I really have no concerns that someone offered him $ to go to Illinois. I think you missed the point of the story.

An extremely sad story about a kid being shot to death in the street. I really have no concerns that someone offered him $ to go to Illinois. I think you missed the point of the story.

You don't get how much venom Illinois fans still have for Iowa because they believe Mr. Davis tried to destroy the Illinois basketball program through lies.

[video=youtube;SjbPi00k_ME]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjbPi00k_ME[/video]

I'd actually be surprised if a coach who isn't slimy and whose school doesn't have bagmen landed the top player out of Chicago. Let me know when that happens, but with the one and done rule in the NBA, the greasiness of HS basketball recruiting in Chicago will be about the only thing as bad as the politics. Only guys like Calipari will have a chance to get the best players. I thought Bruce Weber was a bad game coach, but I never once suspected the guy of the pay to play crap. I don't trust the new guy in Champaign as much, though. I am praying DePaul gets their arena in Lincoln Park built. If they do, bye bye Illinois.

You don't get how much venom Illinois fans still have for Iowa because they believe Mr. Davis tried to destroy the Illinois basketball program through lies.

Best way to get banned from an Illini board is to incorporate Bruce Pearl into your user name without the word "sucks" or some other derogratory term nearby.

The point of what story? I watched the entire Wilson story on the ESPN documentary and remember it as I lived in the area at the time. I get the whole senselessness of the street violence that plagues those areas to this day. It is tragic. I wish a solution could be found for gang related violence that extreme poverty seems to feed.

The interview today with McReynolds was interesting to me because of the fallout from the Deon Thomas affair, much of it pointed at Iowa bb. In the end, it would have been better for Iowa bb to just go along with the system,and maybe try to pay players ourselves...but instead we get hammered by the corrupt system as whistle-blowers, and have any shot at recruiting the inner-city shut down for decades.
In the end, cheating pays..that is the moral of this story.

Great post(-s), JH. I intended to watch that 30 for 30, as I too "lived through it" (from chicago 'burbs, student @ Iowa at the time of Wilson's death). I'll have to find the rebroadcast and DVR it.

Great post(-s), JH. I intended to watch that 30 for 30, as I too "lived through it" (from chicago 'burbs, student @ Iowa at the time of Wilson's death). I'll have to find the rebroadcast and DVR it.

Downers Grove is a suburb of Lisle. At no point does it touch Chicago, therefore it is not a Chicago 'burb. kthxbai

9:00 PM Eastern tonight on ESPN. I saw the 1st half last night and need to finish the 2nd half tonight.

Nope, not 2 parts. I just missed the 2nd half. I know you were busting my chops, but wanted to make that clear. :)

Me, busting chops?? NEVARRR!!!
(Right after I poasted, I hit up my online DVR manager and saw that "Benji" is only one part, but 90 minutes. I'm all set, thanks again!)

How many titles has illannoy won, again? How awesome was teh deon thomas?

Deon Thomas became the alltime leading scorer in Illinois bb history.

OK,maybe saying cheating pays is overstating it,as the Illini did pay a price for their transgressions.
I would say that staying silent would have paid tho...after the Pearl affair,Iowa's pipeline to Chicago was shut down,and still is not opened up. IU and ND continued to get players from the city, as they were never hurt by the Thomas affair. Iowa lost its most fertile out of state recruiting territory,and the Ronnie Lesters,Kenny Arnolds and Kevin Boyles started going elsewhere.

Deon Thomas became the alltime leading scorer in Illinois bb history.

OK,maybe saying cheating pays is overstating it,as the Illini did pay a price for their transgressions.
I would say that staying silent would have paid tho...after the Pearl affair,Iowa's pipeline to Chicago was shut down,and still is not opened up. IU and ND continued to get players from the city, as they were never hurt by the Thomas affair. Iowa lost its most fertile out of state recruiting territory,and the Ronnie Lesters,Kenny Arnolds and Kevin Boyles started going elsewhere.

But our Siouxer City pipeline is paying huge dividends right now.

Illinois has not been getting the top preps out of Chicago for years, because, as BTR said, Weber didn't play in teh mud, and guys liek Derrick Rose, Evan Turner, and Jabari Parker were not going to Illinois.

If he was offered money 28 years ago, who cares? Do you expect the NCAA to investigate and punish Illinois? What would that accomplish? Nobody that would have been involved or been responsible for oversight at that time is even at the institution anymore, and the players weren't even a twinkle in their parents' eyes. Calling Illinois cheaters for this is pointless.

If he was offered money 28 years ago, who cares? Do you expect the NCAA to investigate and punish Illinois? What would that accomplish? Nobody that would have been involved or been responsible for oversight at that time is even at the institution anymore, and the players weren't even a twinkle in their parents' eyes. Calling Illinois cheaters for this is pointless.

As I explained, this is simply interesting additional evidence that helps put the 1980's recruiting environment in context, and particularly interesting for Iowa fans who lived thru the whole Deon Thomas scandal and the subsequent finger-pointing by Illini fans who claimed Iowa was cheating and the true culprits in the Thomas scandal. This type of testimony by McReynolds sheds more light on a sordid era.

I'm always up for taking a **** on Illinois hoops, so I accept this evidence. If I trolled their message boards I would totally use this.

Latest posts