I'll post it now..."When did you first suspect"...

Seth53

...Iowa's team was in trouble this year..."

I know, I know, this is a thread usually started at the end of the year.

Seems to make sense to start it now.

And my answer is...of course...the 1st 10 minutes of the 2nd half of the UNI game.

Alas, I just don't see any improvement using the same players, same plays and same coaching.

After New York, I was 99% sure, but the UNC win made me think maybe we got that 1% chance. Watching Iowa get run by ISU I think proved without a shadow of a doubt that Fran is in wayyyyyy over his head here.

That is why I started posting what I did about Fran should be gone if he can't make the NCAA this year. The simple fact is this team underachieved in '12-13 (should have been in the tourney), they underachieved last year (should have been a 4-6 seed), and are looking like a pile of garbage this year (when they have 4 top 150 players and Aaron White).

After New York, I was 99% sure, but the UNC win made me think maybe we got that 1% chance. Watching Iowa get run by ISU I think proved without a shadow of a doubt that Fran is in wayyyyyy over his head here.

That is why I started posting what I did about Fran should be gone if he can't make the NCAA this year. The simple fact is this team underachieved in '12-13 (should have been in the tourney), they underachieved last year (should have been a 4-6 seed), and are looking like a pile of garbage this year (when they have 4 top 150 players and Aaron White).

I thought you were wrong I thought you needed to be more patient given the state of the program. However, it looks like I may have to reassess some things. The lack of quality guard play is alarming given that there good guards all over the place. We may have no choice, but to start over AGAIN. As brutal as this year is going to be I will let it play out and see where we are at.

Counting Woodbury as a top 150 player is just silly. Same for Mike G. I hope the hell you are not counting Oglesby in that group as he has d-3 player written all over him.

Jon is piling on the guard court and probably rightly so but Woodbury seems to be getting a free pass from some with all this talk about his improvement.
Hog wash. He has had a couple decent games (flukes). Other than that, a total bust. He is just another of the Iowa players that are lower level d-1 talent, at best.
He is painful to watch. Oglesby should be on the gray team (if we still had one)
Fran needs to put his most athletic kids on the floor.

The Texas game did it for me. When a team has the same tendancies year in and year out, i.e. second half melt downs, going 9-10 minutes without a bucket, you have to look at the coach. This team is infinately worse than last year when it should be significantly better.

Last year's collaspe was a red flag for me. That team should not have had to play in a play in game to make the real tournament. As part of that collaspe, losing to Northwestern in the Big Ten tournament was perplexing after destorying these guys twice on their homecourt and ours. Of course, not being able to beat Tennessee was the cherry on top last year.

The team is not in trouble. They'll get 10 wins in the conference, win at least one game in the BTT, and get a bid to the Dance, probably an 8 or 9 seed.

Jump shooters will keep shooting when they get open looks. Shots will start falling. Iowa will continue to play very strong D and hit the boards.

The team is not in trouble. They'll get 10 wins in the conference, win at least one game in the BTT, and get a bid to the Dance, probably an 8 or 9 seed.

Jump shooters will keep shooting when they get open looks. Shots will start falling. Iowa will continue to play very strong D and hit the boards.

Lol.. If Iowa wins 10 + 1 which they might given how awful the B1G is they will be looking at the playing-in game or a 10 seed at best.

I just don't see it. Even if we could go 10-8 in conference, that would put us at 19-13, (9-4 non con) (10-8 B1G) (1-1 BTT), and that isn't a NCAA resume. We lost 2 non con games last year to very good opponents, and went 9-9 in the B1G and got into the play in game. So I don't see any scenero where we get a 8 or 9 seed with a 19-13 resume.

4 losses in the non con killed any chance of the NCAA unless we win win 11 or more in conference and 3 BTT games.

After last night, I don't see it, either. Iowa looked completely and utterly lost/helpless in the second half last night. That doesn't look like an NCAA team to me. Frankly, it's a mess. I like the blind optimism, though.

I agree with Dean - I was concerned after NYC. Both the TX and Syracuse games. The 'Cuse game, against a team that is way down this year, Iowa struggled much of the game, and despite the comeback, was unable to make the plays in crunch time to get it done. Same as the previous 2 years.

The TX game - what I saw was a game where Iowa played pretty well in the first half against a team that was basically sleepwalking.. Then the second half hit, TX woke up and made adjustments, and it was lights out. Same thing that we saw against ISU and UNI. In other words, against a good opponent that decides it wants to play, Iowa looks totally outgunned.

The UNC game - nice win for sure, but like the wins @Wisconsin & Minnesota in year 2, Iowa won those games against teams that couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. If UNC shoots even 40% (instead of 28%) which still is not a great shooting percentage, Iowa loses that game by double digits. So I fear that game was fool's gold.

But short answer - yeah, NYC, because of old tendencies that are still there, and the inability to keep up against a good team that comes out of halftime re-focused.

The only guys you can make this argument for with a straight face Uthoff and Jok. Gesell, White, etc. have all been here for at least two years now, and none of them have shown themselves to be good shooters, especially from behind the arc. They aren't going to suddenly improve drastically over the next couple months. Uthoff and Jok, maybe, but I doubt it.

When they were rated 220 something in field goal percentage before the Iowa State game (meaning we couldn't even balloon our ranking after playing really bad teams)

Last night. I found myself saying "this is a terrible lineup" over and over. Then I realized that there is no lineup we can put in that would wouldn't be.

Last night. I found myself saying "this is a terrible lineup" over and over. Then I realized that there is no lineup we can put in that would wouldn't be.

True, and with that said, we need to play for the future. Starting lineup, with majority of minutes played, needs to be:

Olaseni
Jok
Uthoff
Dickerson
Uhl

Oglesby needs to be cut from the team. Whatever he 'has' is infecting everyone else.

First half of Texas game. I said although we were winning all the scoring came from the line and Texas was getting better looks. I knew we were gonna lose that game at half.

Syracuse game confirmed it. That Cuse team is not your typically disruptive on D using the 2-3 zone. We got looks against the zone but as we know, no shooters.

Latest posts