Ihmir Smith-Marsette Says Why He Chose Iowa, Bailed on Minnesota

I like that Minnesota picked up Fleck. The Iowa Minnesota "rivalry" was dead. Glad to see some good border wars going on. Don't forget, this means Wisconsin has to deal with him too!

I like that Minnesota picked up Fleck. The Iowa Minnesota "rivalry" was dead. Glad to see some good border wars going on. Don't forget, this means Wisconsin has to deal with him too!
Yup it had become pretty apathetic. Nice shot in the arm and kick in the arse for us to keep pushing. Iowa got AJ and another good DT in this class. I don't think we'd trade either of them for the kid MN got from Iowa instead. I don't know much about the Duwa kid but we were in on him so early on that we weren't going to drop him for this other kid either.

Wait, KF's understated recruitment philosophy seems to have worked? Oh my!

"Smith-Marsette told HN that he felt pressure from the Gophers coaches to commit on his visit. After returning home to New Jersey and thinking about it, he decided that he preferred Iowa."

I had a feeling that Fleck was putting a lot of pressure on these kids. Same with Creamer. He is definitely an aggressive recruiter but I have a feeling he is going to find coaching in the Big Ten a lot more difficult than the MAC

I had a feeling that Fleck was putting a lot of pressure on these kids. Same with Creamer. He is definitely an aggressive recruiter but I have a feeling he is going to find coaching in the Big Ten a lot more difficult than the MAC

Yep, sounds like Fleck is a hard sales type of guy. Rumor is he told Creamer if he visited Iowa he was gonna pull the Minnesota offer, and that is why Creamer tried to visit Iowa without others knowing. Thinking he probably did the same to Harry Van Dyne as well.

At age 60 I should know better but not knowing anything about him other than his rising star status I watched his opening press conference and came away impressed. I liked the idea of an energetic young coach setting high expectations and thought he would represent healthy competition.

Fleck will have to dial things back to survive in the Twin Cities sports market and compete in the Big Ten. He comes across as a little phony and insincere and word gets around among these recruits about the aggressive recruiting tactics. Thanks to Smith-Marsette for speaking out publicly about his experience.

Yep, sounds like Fleck is a hard sales type of guy. Rumor is he told Creamer if he visited Iowa he was gonna pull the Minnesota offer, and that is why Creamer tried to visit Iowa without others knowing. Thinking he probably did the same to Harry Van Dyne as well.

When I think of Fleck I think of the car salesman from True Lies. Pissing his pants and all.

Latest posts