If you were Ferentz...

rodthompson

Why would you really care about making any changes that might make you have to work harder or learn new things? He knows he was handed an absurd contract based off of one season that will set him up for life. If someone told me that they were going to grossly overpay me for ten years and basically all I had to do is show up, I'd find it hard to find much motivation to work harder. Even if the working environment around me completely changed around me over the course of time. Ferentz is like an IT director at a company in the 90's who flat out refused to learn how to use the internet, but at the same time know he'd never be fired for it.

As much as I cannot stand KF and his philosophies, Barta is the real villain in all of this. Handing out that contract was that act of a madman.

If I were a D1 football coach in the B1G, ego and pride alone would compel me to work as hard as I could to win championships. Money wouldn't factor into it at all. If that's not the attitude of the ol' ball coach, then Iowa is F'd.

Yes, because Ferent'z has no vested interest in a program he's ran for 14 years. His real passion is cashing big checks while finding ways to lose football games just to upset fans.

Just human nature. Let's not pretend KF is some deity and impervious to things like thoughts most people have. That is giving a football coach way way too much credit. I'm sure they guy wants to do a good job but deep seeded in his mind he knows he'll never have to work to prove himself for a new contract.

You can't deny that after players get a big contract their production is never the same. I'm sure they WANT to do well and have interest on not tarnishing their careers, but rarely does it happen where they go out and work harder.

Why would you really care about making any changes that might make you have to work harder or learn new things? He knows he was handed an absurd contract based off of one season that will set him up for life. If someone told me that they were going to grossly overpay me for ten years and basically all I had to do is show up, I'd find it hard to find much motivation to work harder. Even if the working environment around me completely changed around me over the course of time. Ferentz is like an IT director at a company in the 90's who flat out refused to learn how to use the internet, but at the same time know he'd never be fired for it.

As much as I cannot stand KF and his philosophies, Barta is the real villain in all of this. Handing out that contract was that act of a madman.

This is a ridiculous notion. I'm not a huge KF supporter right now, but there was a time when I thought Kirk was the right fit for our program. It's just unfortunate that over time he has failed to adapt to his surroundings and the always evolving teams around him.

In saying that there is not once ounce of me that believes Kirk is doing this just to cash a paycheck. The man loves football and he loves the Iowa Hawkeyes. He came in when Iowa was at an all time low and built this team up to something most fans thought would never happen. He didn't do it for money or fame, he did it because that was his job and he wanted Iowa to be successful. That is exactly why he continues to do it, because he thinks they can win. Maybe he can and maybe he can't, but that paycheck isn't what is going to determine the difference between success and failure.

Just human nature. Let's not pretend KF is some deity and impervious to things like thoughts most people have. That is giving a football coach way way too much credit. I'm sure they guy wants to do a good job but deep seeded in his mind he knows he'll never have to work to prove himself for a new contract.

You can't deny that after players get a big contract their production is never the same. I'm sure they WANT to do well and have interest on not tarnishing their careers, but rarely does it happen where they go out and work harder.

Man, you sound just like a Rod Thompson that I use to work with...lazy.

This is impressive Rod. You have managed to take all the stupidity that has been spewed on this board in the past 3 months and summarize it in one single post. Well done. So I guess that makes you the smartest ******* here.

This is a ridiculous notion. I'm not a huge KF supporter right now, but there was a time when I thought Kirk was the right fit for our program. It's just unfortunate that over time he has failed to adapt to his surroundings and the always evolving teams around him.

In saying that there is not once ounce of me that believes Kirk is doing this just to cash a paycheck. The man loves football and he loves the Iowa Hawkeyes. He came in when Iowa was at an all time low and built this team up to something most fans thought would never happen. He didn't do it for money or fame, he did it because that was his job and he wanted Iowa to be successful. That is exactly why he continues to do it, because he thinks they can win. Maybe he can and maybe he can't, but that paycheck isn't what is going to determine the difference between success and failure.
Iowa was at an all time low when Fry took over, but not when KF took over. K

That's why I like coming on here. See how the other half lives. What has Ferentz done since being handed this contract that makes you believe he is really giving it his 100% "because he loves Iowa"? I'm sure the guy is good in the community and everything but don't you see every other Big Ten program speeding past us on the highway while we are pulled off to the side of the road with our hazard lights on? And the Big Ten is horrible, so that is saying a lot.

I've been saying for years that Ferentz is a great position coach but does not have all the skills and personality it takes to be a big time college head football coach.

I've been saying for years that Ferentz is a great position coach but does not have all the skills and personality it takes to be a big time college head football coach.

Yeah because guys who dont possess the necessary skills to be a big time head coach regularly win multiple conference titles, play in multiple BCS games and win one BCS game and send dozens of kids to the NFL.

Clearly,Lebron James has taken to the cabana after getting his huge contract.
Same with Kobe,Jordan,Duncan,Manning Bros. and Aaron Rodgers. These guys did nothing after getting their big contracts.

KF does not mind losing,I am sure. He has no pride. He would rather lay around on the couch than win games in Kinnick. Yeah,sure...

Do you really actually believe this drivel that you are spewing? The drive and ambition that anyone who has ever achieved a college head coaching position is so far beyond that of normal human beings, it doesn't ever leave them. You may be the type to sit back a take a free living from others without needing to provide your best effort (guessing you're a Dem to, right?), but that doesn't mean the rest of us are, and I guaranty you that there is not one college head coach that feels the way you are suggesting KF is treating his job. I'm willing to bet that there is no one as really upset about this season as Kirk, he just doesn't come to the message boards to tell us about it.

Do you really actually believe this drivel that you are spewing? The drive and ambition that anyone who has ever achieved a college head coaching position is so far beyond that of normal human beings, it doesn't ever leave them. You may be the type to sit back a take a free living from others without needing to provide your best effort (guessing you're a Dem to, right?), but that doesn't mean the rest of us are, and I guaranty you that there is not one college head coach that feels the way you are suggesting KF is treating his job. I'm willing to bet that there is no one as really upset about this season as Kirk, he just doesn't come to the message boards to tell us about it.

I am sure Kurt also has no desire for his sons to be successful as well. I am sure the check he got more than made up for the look on his son's face as he walked off the field on senior day a loser.

I am sure Kurt also has no desire for his sons to be successful as well. I am sure the check he got more than made up for the look on his son's face as he walked off the field on senior day a loser.

Somedays your comments are annoying, today is not one of those days.

If you do not think that Kirk Ferentz is giving it his all, you are not thinking this thing thru. KF has more reason to try to succeed than EVER before. His son Brian is on the coaching staff. KF knows if he does not succeed, in the next year or two, then he will be solely responsible for his being fired. Tell me one father who would possibly want that on their shoulders???

If you do not think that Kirk Ferentz is the most stubborn coach in ALL of college football, then you are simply not thinking... Coach with the talent you have, to best of their skillset. Do not coach to force your scheme when you do not have the talent. e.g. JVB is a shotgun, no-huddle QB. A blind man could tell you that. If something is not working and cannot be fixed by a seasoned veteran player, then something needs to be changed. Plain & simple.

Last edited:
If you were rodthompson, would you really start ANOTHER thread related to Ferentz's salary and his the Hawk's recent struggles? Yes, you would. Nice work, rodthompson.

Latest posts