If you thought our BB coach hire was fun....

Herkeynerd

This should be even more interesting. Who replaces McDermott? This time around we aren't emotionally invested. Speculate all you want. I would like to hear some good ideas though.:) Are there any good candidates left out there anymore?

ISU should look hard at a guy like Mike Davis. His salary is in a current range that could be exceeded considerably and he might bring in enough to excite the fan base as well.

Plus ISU has had past success with former Big 10 coaches...

Good call on Mike Davis. That would be a pretty good fit and he does have a pretty successful history. Someone like Chris Lowery of Southern Illinois might warrant consideration too. From a great coaching tree (Weber, Painter) and has done well at SIU. We may see Keno Davis's name resurface, or a guy with a proven track record, like a Fran Frachella or an Ernie Kent.

Good call on Mike Davis. That would be a pretty good fit and he does have a pretty successful history. Someone like Chris Lowery of Southern Illinois might warrant consideration too. From a great coaching tree (Weber, Painter) and has done well at SIU. We may see Keno Davis's name resurface, or a guy with a proven track record, like a Fran Frachella or an Ernie Kent.

Mike Davis...unlimited resources at Indiana and couldn't get it done. Why would Iowa State hire him? Minus the money, the Iowa State program is probably more attractive right now than the Iowa program was when we hired Fran. Cupboards are equally bare, but at least their fans still showed up to games. ISU already pays McDermott 1m a year...and they will get $800k from Creighton for his buyout...so its not like they won't be able to offer 1-1.5m a year. Not to mention they paid Rhoades last year with the Chizik buyout...so they probably aren't in that bad of shape financially.

The problem right now is its very late in the process...many coaches might not want to leave their school knowing they won't be able to recruit this year. I think ISU probably ends up with a similar coach as we did...a successful mid-major. Won't set the world on fire, but will have a good chance to be successful in the long run.

The two names I have heard are Paul Hewitt from Georgia Tech and Ray McCallum from Detroit.

Seriously? Where did you pull these names from? Doubt Pollard is even looking at all yet, much less releasing and idea of who he is interested. And McCallum is terrible. Not great at Ball State and three really bad years at Houston. Not sure why Hewitt would leave GT.

What's kind of funny is that McDermott completed gave ISU the shaft. ISU gave Mac a vote of confidence after speculation stating he will be the coach next year & McDermott bolted for the Miss Valley.

What's funny is that this happen after many other coaching vacancies have been filled which leaves ISU scrambling to find a legitimate coach. Maybe will have to offer more $ because of the timing. Horrible timing. The coaching carrousel kind of slowed down a bit, and all of a sudden, here's ISU that needs a coach.

I don't think McDermott intended to screw over ISU, but I think he saw the writing on the wall, especially after transfers. He realized he prob wasn't going ot be successful next year & would prob be out anyway. I'm sure he looked to get back to a mid-major in the midwest with Miss Valley as top choice. I think Creighton was prob one of the few jobs he would leave for in the Miss Valley so he took it. He prob didn't feel he could pass it up. Interesting indeed!

What's kind of funny is that McDermott completed gave ISU the shaft. ISU gave Mac a vote of confidence after speculation stating he will be the coach next year & McDermott bolted for the Miss Valley.

What's funny is that this happen after many other coaching vacancies have been filled which leaves ISU scrambling to find a legitimate coach. Maybe will have to offer more $ because of the timing. Horrible timing. The coaching carrousel kind of slowed down a bit, and all of a sudden, here's ISU that needs a coach.

I don't think McDermott intended to screw over ISU, but I think he saw the writing on the wall, especially after transfers. He realized he prob wasn't going ot be successful next year & would prob be out anyway. I'm sure he looked to get back to a mid-major in the midwest with Miss Valley as top choice. I think Creighton was prob one of the few jobs he would leave for in the Miss Valley so he took it. He prob didn't feel he could pass it up. Interesting indeed!

You really think that vote of confidence was real? It has long been known that the only reason that McDermott was still at ISU was the huge $2.5 million buyout and the large assistant coaches buyouts. I can promise you that the mood in the ISU athletic department is nothing short of jubilant today. Creighton just paid them $800k for a coach they wanted to get rid of but couldn't. Sure the timing isn't great...but most of their fans and administration were dancing in the streets last night.

Mike Davis...unlimited resources at Indiana and couldn't get it done. Why would Iowa State hire him? Minus the money, the Iowa State program is probably more attractive right now than the Iowa program was when we hired Fran. Cupboards are equally bare, but at least their fans still showed up to games. ISU already pays McDermott 1m a year...and they will get $800k from Creighton for his buyout...so its not like they won't be able to offer 1-1.5m a year. Not to mention they paid Rhoades last year with the Chizik buyout...so they probably aren't in that bad of shape financially.

The problem right now is its very late in the process...many coaches might not want to leave their school knowing they won't be able to recruit this year. I think ISU probably ends up with a similar coach as we did...a successful mid-major. Won't set the world on fire, but will have a good chance to be successful in the long run.

He had about as much success at Indiana as Johnny Orr had at Michigan...hmm...

I think ISU's next coach (if McDermott leaves) will more than likely be an assistant at a major conference school.

Someone like Montgomery at MSU, Dooley at KU, or even a Forbes type.

SIU fans would treat that just like ISU fans are treating the McDermott situation. They are getting tired of Lowery at SIU.

Latest posts