If You Could Only Have 1 Hawkeye Sport in '20-21

Only one Hawkeye sport can be played in '20-21. Who ya got?

• Total voters
The basketball season is the only thing that gets me through the looong Iowa winters. They will be absolutely loaded this year and if Luka comes back it will be Final Four level talent.
No way I'm giving that up.

The basketball season is the only thing that gets me through the looong Iowa winters. They will be absolutely loaded this year and if Luka comes back it will be Final Four level talent.
No way I'm giving that up.

I cant imagine how good Luka will be next year. He's gunna get better while the rest of the Big 10 takes a big step back at the center position. Watching him surrounded by the best 3 point shooting team in the conference would be awesome.

Football. That program is trending in a direction that could better than what everyone thinks basketball will be like this year.
This football season could be spectacular. A B1G championship could be within our reach, which means a playoff berth. Beating OSU twice in a season will be something we will remember for the rest of our lives and rank this season as one of the best ever, if not the best ever.

This is literally the first time I’ve been on the site since the sports world got locked down by the paranoid hysterics. Haven’t read a single article, update anywhere,so, admittedly, a bit out of touch.

Serious request ... Please explain the “spectacular”.
While TyGood is nice, last I remember, it was a very pedestrian rushing attack due to a suspect OL even with / before losing an AA 1st rounder. Compound that with a completely unknown, 1st-yr QB and the inherent Ferentz restraint and I wonder where they get points.

Similar questions on D. As usual, it’ll be strong but certainly not stronger without AJ.

What did I miss / am I missing.

You seen the news out of DC lately? Hell, even Harvard's getting in on the action.
I believe Rick Heller when he says that if football doesn’t happen his program is in jeopardy of shutting down. Way more than I believe you or whatever “news” sources you cherry pick—left, right, or middle.

If football doesn’t take place this year, there are going to be non-revenue programs collapsing in droves. It’s math. Not opinion.

I believe Rick Heller when he says that if football doesn’t happen his program is in jeopardy of shutting down. Way more than I believe you or whatever “news” sources you cherry pick—left, right, or middle.

If football doesn’t take place this year, there are going to be non-revenue programs collapsing in droves. It’s math. Not opinion.

There already are. Furman, which is a rich college just north of town that gets a cut off the Duke Tobacco endowment, permanently cut baseball and men's lacrosse earlier this week. I think those two sports are going to be the first to get slashed nationwide.

There already are. Furman, which is a rich college just north of town that gets a cut off the Duke Tobacco endowment, permanently cut baseball and men's lacrosse earlier this week. I think those two sports are going to be the first to get slashed nationwide.
Bowling Green cut baseball.

Old Dominion cut wrestling

FIU cut men's track

Cincinnati cut men's Soccer

Akron cut men's cross country, golf, and women's tennis.

And those are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head. It's going to get worse.

Last edited:
This is literally the first time I’ve been on the site since the sports world got locked down by the paranoid hysterics. Haven’t read a single article, update anywhere,so, admittedly, a bit out of touch.

Serious request ... Please explain the “spectacular”.
While TyGood is nice, last I remember, it was a very pedestrian rushing attack due to a suspect OL even with / before losing an AA 1st rounder. Compound that with a completely unknown, 1st-yr QB and the inherent Ferentz restraint and I wonder where they get points.

Similar questions on D. As usual, it’ll be strong but certainly not stronger without AJ.

What did I miss / am I missing.
\

Honestly it is just me dreaming. I do love our skill guys on offense. If Petras can manage the game well, we should be able to score. I believe KF is giving BF the offense and BF will open it up more. Our O Line will be better than last years mess. A center with experience, 2 pluggers with attitude at the Guards, and solid tackles.

The defense will be just fine w/o AJ. While he was dynamic, he did not put up great stats.

This season shapes up to be a really good one, IMO.

Tough decision, but I went with wrestling. Mainly due to the fact that they're the team with the best shot to win a national title. Next I would probably have to go with basketball, just because of the potential of next year's team.

While he was dynamic, he did not put up great stats.

Are you high? That guy singlehandedly ran contain for the defense to cover up weakness at LB. He ripped USC's QB's shoulder and put us in a spot of assuring a guaranteed win in that game. He drew a bunch of doubles that freed up the rest of the defense. He forced teams to gameplan to the other side. The kid was a generationally talented ball player at Iowa and I don't want to say he was the best DE in the Ferentz era, but I would have a helluva time picking between him, Roth and Clayborn for the best. I guess I'd maybe put Clayborn #1 because of that game against GA Tech where he shut down half of the field. That was the best single performance by a Hawkeye defender in the past 20 years, but when Clayborn was confronted with a mediocre LB class in 2010 and was asked to take a bigger role, I don't think he was as good at that role as Epenesa was.

For me it's football. Basketball could have a historic season, but I will always love Iowa FB more than BB. I love football more, but it's the build up for each game, the game day atmosphere, tailgating, etc. For me, basketball is just about the games, which may be great, but for me, football is about more than just the game.

For me it's football. Basketball could have a historic season, but I will always love Iowa FB more than BB. I love football more, but it's the build up for each game, the game day atmosphere, tailgating, etc. For me, basketball is just about the games, which may be great, but for me, football is about more than just the game.
This is pretty much where I'm at too.

I'm very much into basketball and wrestling, but there's just something about college football that makes it special.

Basketball is also centered around a 3 week period in March. You can have a great season and take a dump in the first round of the tournament. Leaves a bad taste in your month. Or you could squeak into the tournament as a 10 seed and find yourself in an OT game for the Sweet 16. No hesitation for me on which I'd rather have happen.

In football, every week has its own little story. Some weeks like UNI are rather easy going. Wisconsin, Nebraska, ISU, Minnesota on the other hand bring a lot stress but the potential for a lot more joy and a year of bragging rights. A game at Ohio St brings dread but also a nothing to lose excitement. And of course every single game means a lot, particularly if you keep winning, which brings a whole other level of excitement and anxiety.