If you could change one Iowa loss in the history of sports to a win...

Haha...I've learned to block out the ads...either that or I'm getting tunnel vision...ah crap, now I'll spend all week worrying about THAT! Thanks for ruining Christmas you guys!

Do you think the closed-captioning people started to type it, then realized that for some unknown reason they were basically doing it for them within the commercial, so they typed something like "Ah hell, just read the above" or something like that?

:D

Old Lady: HELP! I've fallen...and I can't get up!

Life Alert: This is Life Alert...drag your happy a$$ to the phone and call 911! All we do is take your money...we're kind of a sham...but if you don't get to a phone, you'll never get the chance to sue us for it!

Would have liked to have seen Metcalf win last year vs Caldwell. If he wins that match he has a shot at going down as one of the all time greats imo.... plus Caldwell seems like a punk.

Also ISU 2002, brad banks second half fumbles... coulda been playing miami for a national title instead of getting beat by USC

Well, 1956 Iowa vs. San Francisco is the only game you could change that would guarantee an Iowa national championship in basketball. And changing Michigan 1956 or Ohio State 1958 would likely have given Iowa national championships in football, without needing to change anything else (including bowl games). Could you imagine what 1956 would have been like if you could change both of those games that year?

Of course, all of this is from before I was born. In my own lifetime, I think I would change the 1986 Rose Bowl (after the 1985 season), because I was there and we really should have won that one. Of course, I'd like to change Ohio State 1985, but I'd take the Rose Bowl if I could only change one of them.

This is a good topic. I'm not going to assume that no other games afterwards wouldn't change. The whole point of changing the outcome of a game would be the down the road effect. Changing any game would most likely have some down the road effect.

For games before my time I'd probably change either the 80 Louisville or 87 UNLV bball games. I wasn't born yet / old enough to have watched either of those games though.
As for my era, I could go with the 99 UConn game. I hadn't thought about that too much but, I've been convinced. If we were going to play Gonzaga next we would have definately won that one. I also think we most likely beat OSU. That right there hopefully that right there would have been enough to stir up enough outcry to keep Mr. Davis. I do remember also that we were UConn's closest game in the NCAA tournament. Man we could have gone far getting past them. Heck we beat them in our very next ball game with a much worse team.

As for football this is very easy for me - 97 vs Michigan.
I had a good friend that was a big Michigan fan. We talked a lot of trash all week. Michigan went on to win the NC while we fell apart. That team went 7 - 5 and could only score 7 pts vs ASU in the Sun Bowl for crying out loud! It took us until 2001 to recover from that. We would have most likely finished the regular season 10 - 1. Recruiting would have gone a lot better. We certainly wouldn't have been so bad for the next three years.

ISU - Iowa 2002... game was at Iowa City, one of the only later games between the two teams (I think it was a 4:30-5 kickoff) and after watching the rest of the season unfold... this left the worst taste in my mouth at the end of the any season.

1991 game was against Michigan. Iowa ran a fake punt in Michigan territory up 10 in the first half. Turned the tide of the game and Michigan never looked back.

Hayden Fry the loved the trick plays and that was the worst timing to call one in his career.

I'm going with wrestling on this one - the 1988 dual Iowa lost at home 18-19 to Penn State. The loss snapped a 46-dual match streak in Carver and was the first-ever for Iowa in the building. The Hawks then went on a 52 dual-meet home win streak that lasted until their home opener of the 1997-98 season. Ironically, that was also a loss to Penn State.

I'd change that /87-88 loss, giving Iowa a 99 dual meet win home winning streak that lasts nearly 15 years.

Plus, I was at that '88 dual. It was a gutwrenching, heart-breaking experience.

Last edited:
2002 Iowa State. As mentioned above if we win that one we play in the National Championship game.

Would have liked to have seen Metcalf win last year vs Caldwell. If he wins that match he has a shot at going down as one of the all time greats imo.... plus Caldwell seems like a punk.

Also ISU 2002, brad banks second half fumbles... coulda been playing miami for a national title instead of getting beat by USC

I'm not a wrestling guy but I appreciate the sport and I watched that match. Caldwell wrestled well and he beat Metcalf....but I absolutely LOVED Metcalf taking him out in mid backflip. There was still time on the clock. 'Nuff said. His coaches were outraged but had NOTHING to be ****** about. Sure it was probably a little out of frustration but he made a statement. Beat me fine. Be a DB about it, you'll pay for it.
________
Washington Dispensaries

Last edited:
I'm not a wrestling guy but I appreciate the sport and I watched that match. Caldwell wrestled well and he beat Metcalf....but I absolutely LOVED Metcalf taking him out in mid backflip. There was still time on the clock. 'Nuff said. His coaches were outraged but had NOTHING to be ****** about. Sure it was probably a little out of frustration but he made a statement. Beat me fine. Be a DB about it, you'll pay for it.

Jacksonville and Pembrook Burroughs III

NW, 2009.

To win, Stanzi would have to stay healthy.

An undefeated team going into C-Bus, with it's #1 QB . . . ?

Who knows.

Well, 1956 Iowa vs. San Francisco is the only game you could change that would guarantee an Iowa national championship in basketball. And changing Michigan 1956 or Ohio State 1958 would likely have given Iowa national championships in football, without needing to change anything else (including bowl games). Could you imagine what 1956 would have been like if you could change both of those games that year?

Of course, all of this is from before I was born. In my own lifetime, I think I would change the 1986 Rose Bowl (after the 1985 season), because I was there and we really should have won that one. Of course, I'd like to change Ohio State 1985, but I'd take the Rose Bowl if I could only change one of them.

The first paragraph is not exactly correct. The 1980 UCLA Final Four team was eventually disqualified so Iowa would be official National Champions had they beat Louisville regardless of what happened in the final. Although, in my opinion, a Lester lead team would have killed UCLA that year. All this is IMO and subject to my shaky memory.

Man, tough question. The '87 tourney loss to UNLV is the first thing that popped into my head, but as far as football goes.... that's tough. 2002 ISU, jNWU this year, 85 OSU & 86 Rose Bowl, Michigan in 97 and 05... A LOT to choose from.

man, tough question. I'm not going to live in the past and nominate this year vs Northwestern. If it wasn't for that loss, the Hawks would be in the Rose Bowl and I would be going. (sold my tickets)

1970 last second bb loss to Jacksonville and Artis Gilmore. Could have been national champs. A better team than 80 or 87. 14-0 and averaged over 100 points per game in B10.

Latest posts